Join Early Retirement Today

What DVDs have you seen recently?
Old 06-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What DVDs have you seen recently?

It seems to me that we have entered some sort of golden age for movie lovers. What with IMDb and NetFlix, we can find and view movies and television shows from almost the entire span of their existence.

So is it time for a DVD thread similar to the book thread, or has this been done before?

IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

DVDs? How quaint.

I just watched a Netflix stream of "Moon", starring Sam Rockwell.

Moon (2009)

This turned out to be an excellent science fiction film. No giant robots. No invading aliens. No titanic global disasters. Just a really good film driven by story and character. It develops that amazing sense of isolation and , yes, paranoia that the middle portion of 2001: A Space Odyssey had, with some very interesting twists.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife is a big classic movie buff, so we get NetFix DVDs and also watch streaming video with our Roku box. It works fabulously well.

Recent good movies:
War and Peace
Cider House Rules
Wuthering Heights (I love the 1992 version)

Fun movies with culture clashes and cultural enlightenment:
The Visitor (excellent)
Outsourced
Amreeka
Arranged (especially good)
Old 06-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Doing season three of Dexter right now. Rented the whole season for the rainy weekend. I'm kinda overdosing on the grim.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some that we liked recently were Closer and Novocaine and Smart People. Just Like Heaven wasn't bad. We saw Flickan som Lekte Med Elden (Girl Who Played with Fire) last week, that Lena brought back from Sweden. Rough stuff but good.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So is it time for a DVD thread similar to the book thread, or has this been done before?
I've tried to get one going a few times, but it hasn't stuck. It's very useful. I just put a hold on The Visitor at the library (thanks, Scott).
Old 06-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Since the kids are graduating:
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Dazed and Confused
then throw in
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Old 06-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I've been exercising the Netflix Watch Instantly queue, and have seen some truly amazingly good and bad movies. I usually watch one after DW has gone to bed, so I'm doing about 5/week.

I watched Spring Break, one of my first fun T&A movies from back in the 80s. Brought back a lot of good memories for both me and DW. Great for what it is.

Ink, a low budget scifi movie. I really enjoyed it, although it was a little weird.

The Devil's Tomb, an action flick that never really held my attention.

The Code, with Morgan Freeman and Antonio Banderas. A heist movie I had never heard of. Not bad at all.

Animals, a werewolf movie. Pretty bad, and I really enjoyed it.

Up, which was surprisingly great.

District B13, a French action flick. Again, right up my (admittedly non mainstream) alley.

Princess of Mars, from the ERB John Carter series. Sucked and disappointed.

Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus. What can I say?
Old 06-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I watched "The Lovely Bones " . I was going to read the book and never got to it . As a rental it was okay .
Old 06-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #10

A couple I've enjoyed recently: Invasion -- the latest remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, with Nicole Kidman; and The Bank Job, a heist movie based on a true story.

Coach
Old 06-05-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Easy Virtue - surprisingly refreshing
Day breakers - meh
Avatar - not my kind of movie usually but liked it a lot
Leap Year - cute but predictable
Hangover - very funny
Old 06-05-2010, 09:46 PM   #12

Double Indemnity, sort of the prototypical film noir: dark scenes with shaft of light and strong shadows, rueful narration by the main character, murder.
Stars Fred McMurray as a bad guy, Barbara Stanwyck as a bad gal, and Edward G. Robinson as not a bad guy.
Pretty good flick, and interesting from a film history point of view also.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:32 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Jekyll - a modern-day adaptation of the Dr Jekyll / Mr Hyde story. It's a 6 episode TV mini-series and I absolutely loved it - very original take on the old story.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Doing season three of Dexter right now. Rented the whole season for the rainy weekend. I'm kinda overdosing on the grim.
We just watched the last 4 episodes of season 3 of Dexter yesterday. Cant wait for season 4 to come out on Netflix.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:02 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Last night we watched Our Man in Havanna. This was a Graham Green novel and the movie was produced in 1960. It's a tongue-in-cheek look at the spy business starring a youngish Alec Guinness. My wife was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed it.

Also will second a few of the films mentioned in other people's posts that we saw: Moon, Outsourced.

I put a few in our Netflix queue that people here have recommended, thanks to all.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #16

Have been on a 12th century English kick recently. Didn't realize that Peter O'Toole played Henry II twice in major movies; first in Becket, then in my all-time favorite flick The Lion in Winter. Gotta admit, he is pretty convincing as Henry.

Also watched our way through The Tudors, which was terrific, and Anne of a Thousand Days, which paled by comparison. Part of the problem was just the format. There is just too much story to condense into a movie. The length of the mini-series allowed them to develop the characters much better.

And ladies, if you hesitate to watch movies about bloody English history, here is a little enticement. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers and Henry Cavill as Henry VIII and Charles Brandon.

Also watched the BBC series Elizabeth R with Glenda Jackson, which was much better than Elizabeth with Kate Blanchett.

I just realized that almost everything I know about English history comes from Hollywood.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

TV series:

I recently watched "Rome" season 2, "the Tudors" season 3 and "24" season 6.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #18
Administrator

I had planned to join Netflix and watch at least 1-2 DVDs per week when I retired, but so far I just don't have the time! I haven't managed to squeeze in the time to watch even one DVD in my almost 7 months of retirement. Let me tell you, the retirement lifestyle is hectic.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:29 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

We watched Friends with Money last night. I'd give it an 8.5/10. It was one of those movies that at the start you have a little trouble keeping the different characters straight, and you get a little stressed because you want things to work out for them, but it comes together later. Great actors! I look forward to watching it again.

There's one thing that's funny and relevant to us LBYM types, but I can't tell you what it is without giving things away.

I recently rewatched two of my favorites: Being John Malkovich and Galaxy Quest.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #20

My youngest and I have been watching "The Wire" (2002) on weekends.

On Netflix this last week I watchedEl mariachi (1992)and Det sjunde inseglet (1957)