Join Early Retirement Today

What ER means to me.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What ER means to me.

All,

After only about 3 months of ER (I'm 47), I'm slowly discovering what ER really means to me.

To me ER means not being rushed. I absolutely hate been rushed from one place or thing to another. I enjoy the ability to change direction at any time and do whatever pops up (or nothing at all).

I guess to me, time has become more valuable than money.

Also the other thing I've discovered is how quickly I have forgotten my "work life". After spending 27 years in Telecommunications, I seldom think about it after less than 90 days! I guess I was ready to go.

E86S54

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep - it's so glorious not to have to adhere to a strict schedule - especially being free of other people's schedules! Still makes me smile 11 years later!

Audrey

Old 09-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by e86s54 View Post
All,

After only about 3 months of ER (I'm 47), I'm slowly discovering what ER really means to me.

To me ER means not being rushed. I absolutely hate been rushed from one place or thing to another. I enjoy the ability to change direction at any time and do whatever pops up (or nothing at all).

Also the other thing I've discovered is how quickly I have forgotten my "work life". After spending 27 years in Telecommunications, I seldom think about it after less than 90 days! I guess I was ready to go.

E86S54
Sometimes I am amazed at how much I have forgotten.

Le Chiam.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Good to know that it will only take me 90 days to forget about what will end up being 27 years with my company. It will be wonderful to not wake up to an alarm clock! Cograts on your retirement, and looking forward to mine
Old 09-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My DH has been home since Feb, retiring in June. I think he'd agree with you about not being rushed. He's been doing a lot of projects around the house. This kind of thing used to make him cranky because he'd have to do it all in the evenings or on the weekend. Now he doesn't care what day it is. He can start on something, finish if he wants or come back to it again tomorrow (AKA another Saturday).

Besides the garden and regular yard stuff he's been able to participate in getting estimates for new windows (I always handled things like this by myself) and washing down the siding before the windows get installed. He did the siding over 3 or 4 days, taking his time and adjusting for weather. He seemed to really enjoy this project.

He's also looked up recipes and tried a few things with our extra vegetables. He putters a lot, listening to radio talk shows while he "works" on stuff.

It's so nice to see him having a good time. He doesn't talk much about his former life. He's met a few former co-workers for birthday lunches and I think it just doesn't feel the same. Which is the whole point.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #6

Quote:
All,

E86S54
I am also 47 and have been ER for 22 months. I surely agree with you about not being rushed, especially in the morning trying to eat breakfast and catch a train. That often made me nauseous, something I don't miss any more. There is nothing about my former "work life" I miss, either, after 23 years of that (16 F/T and 7 P/T).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #7

I don't miss the schedule, but I miss the sociopathic coworkers even less. The thought of them still there, stewing in their own filth, gives me endless satisfaction. It's a good thing I'm not bitter.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
I don't miss the schedule, but I miss the sociopathic coworkers even less. The thought of them still there, stewing in their own filth, gives me endless satisfaction. It's a good thing I'm not bitter.

Too funny about the coworkers, I've already made a list of the ones I can't stand.... and won't miss at all!
Old 09-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
I haven't been back on the base since retirement (a/o 30 Dec '04)
Old 09-16-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

For me...I have just a shade over 3 years to go. The days I am off, (or on leave), and really enjoying myself, my mind keeps reflecting, and then I get this great feeling that soon this feeling and freedom will be permanent. I'm sure you folks understand and do that, too. It's funny how the mind switches back and forth.

I have a great life and friends...except for one undesirable thing that gets in the way of my life...I think Onward hit the nail on the head. Work is the only thing I have no real control over. Soon it and those people will soon be a memory. Nord's "Fog of Work".

One of the people on this forum wrote this (below)...Maybe you Khan or HaHa...it comes closest to the way I feel now of anything I have read. Whoever it was...Thank you! I think about it all the time.

"I've had friends who've asked me, "So what's retirement like?". My answer to them is, "Remember when you were a little kid...before the big people sent you to kindergarten? Remember those seemingly endless days of play? Those days when you got up and ate breakfast, then went out to play? Then you'd come in for lunch and a nap, and then go back out to play until supper time? Then after supper you'd go out to play until dark or until bedtime...whichever you could get away with? Then you'd start all over the next day? Well, that's what retirement is like!!!". "
Old 09-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

One other cool thing about being retired is not being judged all the time. When I was w*rking, every action I took made me consciously or unconsciously think about what my bosses would think about it. How I dressed, what car I drove, whether I went to the bathroom - on and on.

Looking back, those annual reviews were like a hook in my flesh.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
One other cool thing about being retired is not being judged all the time. When I was w*rking, every action I took made me consciously or unconsciously think about what my bosses would think about it. How I dressed, what car I drove, whether I went to the bathroom - on and on.

Looking back, those annual reviews were like a hook in my flesh.
That strikes a chord. I am pretty much unsackable (not because I'm fantastic, just because it's a government job) and I'm also not hunting for promotion. So there's no real up- or downside to any minor screwup or favour. Yet I find myself worrying about all kinds of details and what people will think (especially my boss's boss, who is a bit of a micro-manager as well as a fully paid-up technocrat; not a bad person, just someone who thinks that all issues can be solved with a plan, some rules, some training, and a steering committee), even though I could pretty much go into "f***-you mode" tomorrow. I guess it means either /a/ I still have standards, or /b/ I'm not as ready to FIRE as I thought I was...
Old 09-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #13

I will miss some co-workers and some patients, and that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwoodt View Post
Too funny about the coworkers, I've already made a list of the ones I can't stand.... and won't miss at all!
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
One of the people on this forum wrote this (below)...Maybe you Khan or HaHa...it comes closest to the way I feel now of anything I have read. Whoever it was...Thank you! I think about it all the time.

"I've had friends who've asked me, "So what's retirement like?". My answer to them is, "Remember when you were a little kid...before the big people sent you to kindergarten? Remember those seemingly endless days of play? Those days when you got up and ate breakfast, then went out to play? Then you'd come in for lunch and a nap, and then go back out to play until supper time? Then after supper you'd go out to play until dark or until bedtime...whichever you could get away with? Then you'd start all over the next day? Well, that's what retirement is like!!!". "
I do not know who wrote that wonderful paragraph, though Goonie used to talk about the endless days of play after his retirement so I associate that idea with him. What a nice description.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #15

For the past year I've had many evenings and weekends ruined because I was seething about some issue at work. Now that I've announced my retirement I'm hoping that all goes away. When I am retired in December it will definitely go away and I will not miss it.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:29 PM   #16

Quote:
So true. I have a friend ready to take his pension in about 4 years. All he talks about is getting another j*b and making money. Whatever. I used to talk that way. Then it just kind of hit me. I would rather enjoy myself. Money took a back seat to enjoying my life, doing what I want, when I want. I guess ER to me means freedom.

I don't miss work and rarely think about it. I still struggle with the feeling like I have some place to be, but it is delicious to remember I don't.

Monday, DW took advantage of her ESR and we went bowling at 9:00 am. We were the youngest people there, by far! It was a blast. I even felt a little under the weather, but when you're retired so what? You can rest anytime you feel like. By the time we were done, I felt better. If I was still w*rking I would have either dragged my carcass into work and hated it, or stayed home and felt guilty.

I would rather spend some time figuring out how to make my pension go further than spend my time working for more money. Someone once said something like once you get a taste of ER, you will find ways to stay ER. I agree. I am in that mode.

And I love that kindergarten quote. It is like being a kid again.

Pointless rambling over.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post

I would rather spend some time figuring out how to make my pension go further than spend my time working for more money. Someone once said something like once you get a taste of ER, you will find ways to stay ER. I agree. I am in that mode.
I was always the one watching expenses and trying to figure out the least expensive way to do things. DH is starting to do that now. He's been taking an OTC joint supplement for years. Today he said that he read that studies show it may not be as effective as they thought. He decided that when his current supply runs out he'll go without and see if he notices any difference. That may be $15/mo. I like the way he's thinking.

Quote:
Pointless rambling over.
You're on an ER forum. Pointless rambling is encouraged.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

It will mean I won't die young of stress-induced illness.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:19 AM   #19

+1

Just last week one patient I knew died. Now the scary thing is that only four weeks prior to that she was working at her office, unaware she was very, very ill.

Enjoy life while it lasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
I guess ER to me means freedom.

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #20

Retiring while I am relatively healthy was one of the reasons I chose to ER at this time. I had a health scare last year and we've had a number of family members have serious health issues.