Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-14-2011, 09:01 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Your points are well taken, NW-Bound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Surely, I have read about your charity work, and that's a lot more than I have done.

The expensive condo is your own business, but hearing that you have paid your college tuition, I am ready to share some SS money with you.

You probably do not read all the threads to know about the recent "storm" regarding college tuition loan forgiveness for ER'ers low income people.

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2011, 02:53 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
After 5 years of ER. The question is: Am I fully taking advantage of ER?
Good question. I told myself before I ER that I'll give myself at least one year of free and easy life - no quantitative or qualitative goals - just live my life without the restrictions of work life and complete the little projects I have written down. I will remind myself to answer that good question at the end of my one year of ER and then decide what I want to do to enrich my ER. I just hope that I won't get caught up with laziness by that time.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:48 AM   #43

I've followed this thread and have considered several times about what gives me stress after ER, and really, it is nothing much.

I have never been stressed about things I can't control, and certainly never about who gets more from the government than me - I care and have concerns, and vote, but it's simply not worth my time stressing about it.

It has only been 14 months of living in ER and I guess the drop in work related stress is so great, everything else seems trivial, particularly since our health continues to be excellent.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:30 AM   #44

Khan +2 (+1 for each of 2 posts).

I have set my alarm a few more times than 3 since I retired, maybe 3 or 4 times per year (although a few times I have awakened before the alarm has gone off).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
It is annoying but I realize the dentist & vet et al do have to have schedules.

I try to keep appointments to 11AM or 1PM if at all possible.

Think I've set alarm 3 times in 6.5 years I've been retired.
I was sunlight deprived where I w*rked. Right after FIRE, I used to get up very early. I loved watching the sun rise while I had my coffee out on my porch. That phase has passed.

Fast forward to the present...the few times I needed to set the alarm, it was for unavoidably early AM medical appts.

Lately, I have been setting it to "wake to music" so I don't sleep in too late (past 8 AM). Classical music on the local NPR station first thing in the AM is just beautiful.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:40 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
You don't have to argue about the issues to be stressed out. Sometimes, just reading them will do this to you.
Then stop reading them!
Old 04-15-2011, 09:35 AM   #47
gone traveling

Listening to DW complain about her j*b every day (even though the original plan was for her to retire the same time as me - four years ago )...

Every time she "starts up", I just say - "you know, you don't have to be there". She admits (from a financial view) she doesn’t have to. However, retirement is not just financial, but also an emotional (and admitting you are getting older) situation.

So she continues to w*rk. She also does not tap her 401(k)/IRA (SS age, but waiting for FRA age of 66 to file), which makes our financials better than planned/expected at this time of life.

While she may be ready financially, she has yet to be "emotionally" ready to retire.

Other than that slight "problem"? I love retirement, TYVM.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:21 PM   #48

Like Freebird, I really enjoy saying to myself "I don't HAVE to!" Just that thought relieves a lot of stress about many things. But work was never stressful for me; I enjoyed it. And I continue to "work" at the things I enjoy and have one very part time job which is annoying, but easy and doesn't cause stress.

What does cause stress are the events,situations that have nothing to do with retirement: annoying friends and relatives, grown kids unemployed, the continuing financial crisis, medical issues, etc. These can cause a lot more stress than work ever could.

Besides, these days, a lot of people would be HAPPY to have a stressful job, any job at all.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:58 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
Like Freebird, I really enjoy saying to myself "I don't HAVE to!" Just that thought relieves a lot of stress about many things.

Mr B is coming up on 1 year of retirement at the end of May. He has almost completed his first year certificate at the Freebird School, specializing in the Bronx Cheer when someone tries to put a deadline on him for a volunteer task.

He was a very high achiever like me and felt a bit lost when he first retired. When the "bored" word came out of his mouth, I threatened him with "honey-do" lists of things that I didn't really want to do.
I also suggested that perhaps he could go up to the local American Legion, re-introduce himself as my boyfriend, and get out from underfoot find something constructive to do for them. I strongly encouraged him to get some "man time" instead of blaring the idiot box watching TV while I did my own stuff here at home.

He has adapted beautifully and is fully engaged doing things he WANTS to do. He has a whole new set of friends and is happy to be contributing his accounting and computer skills to a good cause. He is being recognized as an expert in both areas, while he is learning about some Post management legal issues he didn't know about before. He is nominated to be elected as a Post Commander this week, having served as a First Vice Cmdr for 3 years at another Legion.

As for me, I'm still on my own schedule. We get together in the afternoon and do our together stuff then and into the evening.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

The first year or so of ER, I had a lot of stress watching my portfolio drop (I left full-time employment in late 2007). I tried not to let it get to me, but it was tough.

Now, I'd have to say I don't have much stress. The biggest source is usually relatives. Other than that, as someone else in this thread mentioned, I would say that I have a tendency to let small things bother me. When I notice that happening, I say to myself "Let It Go". That usually works!
Old 04-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #51

Retired 4 years. Like most here, stress went from high when still w*rking to none after FIRE. ... with the exception of my DW ... she seems to be able to get my goat when she goes off on a rant ... usually on something that is of little or no consequence or importance. ... a DW's perogative I guess
Old 04-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

What gives me stress in retirement? Well, NOTHING for the first 9 months, then it was having the RUG pulled out beneath me that is giving me PTSD. I retired early with the full faith and support of my spouse, who would stay employed and cover my insurance needs. I have spent the last 3 months in "discovery" mode and have learned that he's a drug-abusing philanderer.

SO. Ix-nay on the health insurance safety net. Ix-nay on sharing a home (and costs) with a partner. I've had to re-invent my retirement vision.

The good news is I just paid cash for a ROCKIN little house (dirt cheap and mint move-in condition) that comes filled with ANTIQUES! haha. The old owner went into a nurisng home in Texas and didn't want any of the stuff. I imagine I will have to start an antiques business!

The bad news is...I didn't even tell my spouse about it. Not gonna be a pleasant conversation...I know....get an attorney...I am working on that!

Anyone interested in a gas range exactly like this one?

Wedgewood antique stove 1954 vintage range cook oven | eBay

Old 04-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by queeneev View Post
I have spent the last 3 months in "discovery" mode and have learned that he's a drug-abusing philanderer.
Better late than never! I guess you were not that close before or you were too busy?
Old 04-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What gives me stress in retirement? ...my spouse...he's a drug-abusing philanderer.

The good news is I just paid cash for a ROCKIN little house...The bad news is...I didn't even tell my spouse about it.

...I know....get an attorney...I am working on that!
Work faster.

Quote:

Anyone interested in a gas range exactly like this one?
Will his head fit in the oven?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What gives me stress in retirement? Well, NOTHING for the first 9 months, then it was having the RUG pulled out beneath me that is giving me PTSD. I retired early with the full faith and support of my spouse, who would stay employed and cover my insurance needs. I have spent the last 3 months in "discovery" mode and have learned that he's a drug-abusing philanderer.

Sorry that your retirement has been stressed by a gruesome discovery !
Old 04-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

To Kcowan: all this craziness is just in the last year. Based on the first 12 years of general happiness, trust, and and serenity, I did not realize I needed to be on the lookout. He was slick, really slick. Until he wasn't, haha.

Thanks everyone for the humor, it helps!