Join Early Retirement Today

What gives you stress after ER?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

What gives you stress after ER?

This is my eight month into ER and I must say my stress level has reduced from a high 9 to a low 1. I know it because I am no longer an insomniac and my bowel movements (my apologies if this sound yukky) are regular. Maybe I'm still in honeymoon time of retirement as I have minimal stress since ER. The few times I remember I had a bit of stress was in the following situations:-

1. the infrequent times I worry I can't wake up in time to catch an early flight for my vacation.
2. In my first 2 months, I did have some stress over financial matters as the reality of missing a monthly paycheck sets in and an unexpected expense surprised me but now I know that the financial plan I have is working out.
3. that one time I upgraded my old mobile phone to a smartphone. I had great phobia and worry that I don't know how to use it.

Am I still in my honeymoon time of retirement or is it really like this after ER - minimal stress and blue skies?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Glad to hear it. I'm coming up on my ER in 45 days, and I'm worried about what life will be like when I am not contributing to my portfolio, but instead drawing from it. I knew that was the purpose for all those years of saving. It's just going to be wierd. For me, watching my porfolio grow was something I was proud of and I kind of made a contest of it.

How about boredom? Any of that in your early months?

Old 04-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #3

I'm just past 6 months of ER and definitely relate to the "9" down to "1". I now rarely am stressed much about anything, and if I am, it is more often than not a fleeting occurrence rather than a protracted phenomenon. Bottom line: ER is great, and I'm pretty sure that the lower stress is good for my health as well.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:28 PM   #4

I am now about 4 months into ER. My stress started to evaporate a couple of months before I left work in December; went down to almost zero once I left work; and hasn't returned. I haven't been bored a single day yet.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #5

What stress's me in retirement?
Anything that requires me to be or do anything with a time or date attached to it.
I just can't stand having to do anything that you need to watch a clock or set an alarm for.
Steve
Old 04-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #6
Administrator

I have only been stressed by one thing during 17 months of retirement - - an unjust medical bill (that I have since resolved, so all is rosy once again).

Other than that, every day has been better than I ever imagined.

(Oh -- and I have not experienced any boredom either)

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:22 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
Am I still in my honeymoon time of retirement or is it really like this after ER - minimal stress and blue skies?
Nah, it gets better than this...

Seriously, though, I find that I'm more allergic than ever to time-wasting appointments. The idea of "having" to be at a certain place at a certain time (especially if I don't really want to be there) is more abhorrent than my working days.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:26 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Nah, it gets better than this...

Seriously, though, I find that I'm more allergic than ever to time-wasting appointments. The idea of "having" to be at a certain place at a certain time (especially if I don't really want to be there) is more abhorrent than my working days.
I don't even mind these. I carry my Kindle with me everywhere, and if I am at (for example) the doctor's office, I can read something really interesting and enjoy waiting. Besides, it's not like I'm late for anything.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packman View Post
How about boredom? Any of that in your early months?
No boredom. Very happy with my life. I keep busy at my own pace. As others have mentioned, I too find it difficult to subject myself to be at a certain place, date and time which is why I shy away from too many pre-scheduled group classes.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:06 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The only thing which has given me any kind of stress since I ERed in 2008 is the rising HI premiums in that time. They rose by 50% in 2 years but I just switched to a more catastrophic plan starting next month so I feel better about that.

No boredom here, either.

I have had to wake up early (before 8:30 AM) only a few times in the last few years, but those have been mainly for events which are part of my volunteer work so that is okay. However, those times being up early have put me into the AM rush hour which gives me some stress. (When I was working, I took the trains, so I have never been used to driving in morning traffic.) A great deal of my stress while working was due to the commute, so simply losing that was a huge plus.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The only thing that gives me stress is when my DW's parasitic relatives go through yet another self made crisis and try to extort money from her.

Other than that, it is blue skies.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Good replies so far.

My only true stress was during the 2008-2009 market decline. Since then I've spent many happy hours concocting my own methodology to deal with such a period should it ever come again -- but don't think we will have such a bad market in many years. The New Plan may work or not, either way I'm sleeping better now.

The other stress events are minor and we probably need a little stress to keep the juices flowing. Like W2R, I can get a bit worked up over medical bills -- like the $500 one for removing a tick from my back arm. As long as stocks continue to perform I can live with those high gas prices.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I get stressed if I get involved in trying to figure out how many State, Federal, Local government employees including politicians are on the payroll paid for by taxes, and their full benefits, in all of the United States. Got to be millions in number and much more in $$$.

The one time I tried, got a major headache, realized the Sisyphusian nature of the task, abandoned it.

Life is good.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

4 years of FIRE logged as of April 1, 2011

As always, my only stress comes from things I have no control over. I have really figured out how to avoid stress from these sources, so much better than when I was chasing the paycheck. My "button-pusher" filter is fully optimized.

I have and continue to make better life decisions for myself. A lot of my restlessness has evaporated.

I do get bored here and there. When I do, I give myself permission to be "bored", but only for very short periods of time. I have plenty to do around the house and am actively socializing and volunteering in the veterans' club community with Mr. B.

My planets are aligned.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

Seventeen months into ER and I can state that stress went from 10+ to 1 overnight. I can sleep and enjoy life. I volunteer on two Boards for our community. For some strange reason when the Board meetings are approaching I wake up early and the stress level increases. My wife is amazed at how quickly I fall back into the stressed induced insomnia and physical ailments. I set the alarm to make sure I don't oversleep, but wake up long before the alarm goes off. So, I can say that I haven't had to listen to an alarm since retirement!
But, I won't give up volunteering just for a good nights sleep.

As far as boredom is concerned, I have not experienced it yet. In my opinion boredom is a symptom of a lack of imagination. I can always imagine something better to do than working 60+ hours a week!
Old 04-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #16

ER'd for just over 2 months.
No stress except:
1. When I switched from my cable company to my phone company, I have to deal with their customer service. I have to go through their phones interactive menu and voice recognition that don't work very well. And when you get a live person, the person gives you a round-around ("I don't have access to your account". "You have to call another department"). Phone company charged me for an installation fee (should be waived as per their ad and confirmed on the work order). Issue has not been resolved.
2. The hard drive on my network storage crashed due to intermittent power during the blizzard. The replacement HD was DOA. More calls to HD manufacturer customer service - more unpleasantries. Finally resolved but lost my files.
3. When transferring my DW's stock from her ESPP to our brokerage account. The brokerage procedure is so numerous and not spelled out very well that it took almost a month and many e-mails and phone conversation before transfer took effect.
Customer service: Service - what the bull does to the cow.

I have not been bored yet. I have more waking up hours now than berore I ER'd but they are all stress-free (except for the above).
Old 04-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
You are in one of its phases.

After 5 years of ER. The question is: Am I fully taking advantage of ER?

Just as while working time flies, it is easy to get into a rut/routine, aging presents its issues that must be addressed.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Anything that requires me to be or do anything with a time or date attached to it.
I just can't stand having to do anything that you need to watch a clock or set an alarm for.
Steve
This is true for me as well, sometimes even when the event is something I want to do.

However, there's a big benefit, too: After the appointment, you appreciate your unscheduled life even more.

Right now, I'm a little stressed because my different hobbies are conflicting. I have to spend a lot of time on the bike, I have to practice for some gigs, and I have to practice for my piano lessons. If I can just stay off the Internet...
Old 04-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Steve
And I thought it was just me...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
...(snip)...
Right now, I'm a little stressed because my different hobbies are conflicting. I have to spend a lot of time on the bike, I have to practice for some gigs, and I have to practice for my piano lessons. If I can just stay off the Internet...
You may need another phrase then "I have to". How about "I'm going to enjoy ..." or some such?