Join Early Retirement Today

What have you built recently?
Old 03-29-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What have you built recently?

I had some old distressed redwood sitting around from a ricky old backyard table that was here when we bought our house. DW got me a birdhouse that we both agreed was a little flimsy.

While it was raining outside I got out my handsaws and built this rustic birdhouse. It has a hinged front door for cleaning out. I'm not what you'd call a wood craftsman, but this was fun to do. Put it up yesterday on an oak tree facing our window. It has a hole that is suitable for an Oak Titmouse (see picture of one) or even a Wren. It's now available for rent -- but you have to have feathers.

Here is a site for some birdhouse construction tips: How to build a bird house

So what have other ER people been building?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

That birdhouse looks really nice on the oak tree--and great idea for reusing the picnic bench wood. Hope you get a sweet young family moving in soon.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'm repurposing a cedar chest I built for my grandmother in 1970. I sanded off the old finish, added some trim to make it look like a storage trunk. I still have a little bit yet to go. Going to be a toy trunk for myself when I get done.

Also working on shelves and drawers for our master bedroom closet. This project is going on year 2.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:20 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Bestwifeever, thanks.

Ronstar, hope you post a picture as you complete your toy trunk.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I put three sticks together and attached them in a lower cupboard to give us a place for baking sheets. Was pleased to use a minimum of material and end up with something that serves the purpose well, keeping the sheets convenient, out of the way, and using dead cupboard space.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

We built the back section of the stage for our St. Pat's party and moved the entire shebang under the house for the big night. The already built sections included the dance floor in foreground and the middle section (both had to be moved in pieces with a front end loader) and then the entire back part was for our friend the drummer. Needless to say, the band guys were thrilled!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3614.JPG (187.3 KB, 4 views)

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
Bestwifeever, thanks.

Ronstar, hope you post a picture as you complete your toy trunk.
Right now its in pieces, but I'll wrap it up in a few weeks and post a pic. I got the idea after I built one for my niece's baby boy last year - here it is:

Old 03-30-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are building a free clinic in Guatemala. Will do VIAs there among other things.

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Recently bought a mini-freezer. Since I didn't have a sturdy stand, I built my own. Here that is supporting the freezer:

Old 03-31-2011, 03:03 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
We are building a free clinic in Guatemala. Will do VIAs there among other things.

Now that's impressive!
Old 03-31-2011, 03:07 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I had some old distressed redwood sitting around from a ricky old backyard table that was here when we bought our house. DW got me a birdhouse that we both agreed was a little flimsy.

While it was raining outside I got out my handsaws and built this rustic birdhouse. It has a hinged front door for cleaning out. I'm not what you'd call a wood craftsman, but this was fun to do. Put it up yesterday on an oak tree facing our window. It has a hole that is suitable for an Oak Titmouse (see picture of one) or even a Wren. It's now available for rent -- but you have to have feathers.

Here is a site for some birdhouse construction tips: How to build a bird house

So what have other ER people been building?
Thanks for the link. I have some pallets that have survived the winter outside, and I was looking for something to make out of them. I think bird houses would be excellent re-uses for the wood.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:57 AM   #12

That birdhouse needs a perch below the entry hole.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:59 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Sarah - I'll bet you all had a fun St. Pat's day. Nice looking stage.

Ronstar - good photo of your other nicely made trunk. Glad that link came in handy. If you follow it up one there are links to other things to think about like bird baths.

Easysurfer - not sure that mini-freezer does your handsome looking stand justice. Nice work.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:00 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Actually not, unless you want house sparrows and starlings.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:11 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you go to this link: OakTitmousep
you'll see Oak Titmouse pictures.

Now scroll down to the 6th picture which shows a Titmouse flying out of a natural nest site in a tree. You'll notice there is no perch.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Actually not, unless you want house sparrows and starlings.
You may be right. I'm no builder, just going by what I used to watch my Grandfather build. he built houses for wrens and always put a perch on them, but he also used an entry hole that was too small for other birds.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:45 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You may be right. I'm no builder, just going by what I used to watch my Grandfather build. he built houses for wrens and always put a perch on them, but he also used an entry hole that was too small for other birds.
Your Grandfather was on to something. The hole should be just right and no larger for the bird species. The recommended diameter for a few types of Wren's and the Oak Titmouse is 1 1/4 inches. Regarding the perch, it might help preditors but maybe some (assertive) Wren's don't care. I'll have to go outside and take a survey .
Old 03-31-2011, 05:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Your Grandfather was on to something. The hole should be just right and no larger for the bird species. The recommended diameter for a few types of Wren's and the Oak Titmouse is 1 1/4 inches. Regarding the perch, it might help preditors but maybe some (assertive) Wren's don't care. I'll have to go outside and take a survey .
If I remember right he always used a quarter to mark the size of the hole.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:47 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm jealous of people who are good at building things with their hands. I can do 3D design and architecture in a computer, but in real life, it usually turns out like this:

homerbbq.jpg
Old 03-31-2011, 06:19 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I've built up my confidence lately but I haven't done any construction projects or hobby type things.
I have a DIY assembly wood bookcase in shipment transit right now.
I "build" things on a small scale to make life simpler and overcome the tendinitis and limited grip strength in my hands. Does that count?