What he does all day.

gratefuled

Recycles dryer sheets
After four months of ER my buddy popped the question.  "Whaddaya do all day, man?"

It was the first time anyone had asked me this, and from the befuddlement on my friend's face I'd say he hadn't expected me to laugh at him.

It was eight PM and I ticked off that day's list on my fingers:

-Drank coffee reading the on-line papers.
-Fed the Wee One her breakfast.
-Went trout-fishing until lunch.
-Grilled trout for lunch.
-Sat in the afternoon sun playing with the Wee One and writing.
-Coaxed the Wee One into her bed, and the wife into ours.
-Awoke happy & refreshed.
-Cut the grass.
-Enjoyed a brace of cold beers.
-Ate dinner.
-Fielded question from my befuddled buddy.

And now I'm wondering why it's so hard for people to figure out what a retired guy does with his free time.  Has the population-at-large forgotten what free time is?

I need to have the aforelisted itenerary printed on cards, so when this question comes up I can hand the asker the answer and save myself the yakking.  Put a boldface heading on the cards, like "DEAF" or "BLIND."  And a sign in the yard: "CAUTION SLOW ADULT PLAYING."

Ed

Whoops. Posted this before I read the thread below. Ah, well. If only there were more time in the day.

Ed

I also don't understand people who fear the free time. The only reason I get bored is because I don't have the time to do what I want, so I'm stuck finding something to do before getting ready for the next workday. If I didn't have to work 5 out of 7 days I would take off driving frequently with little or no plan of how long I'd be gone. A weekend isn't long enough to get somewhere and enjoy it; it's just enough time to get there and run through the tourist motions and get back. :p

I think people can't comprehend having that much free time because it has not likely ever been their reality in their adult life.

I'm coming on my first month of ER and am adjusting extremely well...The answer is: Whatever I want to do!

I am having so much FUN and have started dreaming again...setting new goals (dreams), doing lotsa research on retirement living options, enjoying the heck out of this forum, managing my own time (and learning to manage my own money)...loosing an old friend broker and making new ones!

I don't know I have ever had time to work 60-80 hours a week, much less 8 hours a day being semi-retired for the last 3 years!

:er:

As I was having a beer today at the 19th hole, one of my buddies said "ole Dog will be playing golf full time about this time next year." Another friend who I work with said " Dog won't quit next year, he is only 51 and that would be a stupid thing to do." I told him management already knows of my plans and its a done deal. He couldn't believe it. He is also 68 years old with a mortgage and very little savings. But he says he works because he fears boredom.  ::)  He made a good living by btw.

I look forward to ER but I almost dread having to explain why I did it.  :-\

WhodaThunkit said:
I have a rich friend who has not worked for a long time (RE at 30 YO or so), from inheritance.

In response to the question "what do you do," as in work, he generally says something like "manage a private investment portfolio" or "stock and bond trading" or simply "nothing."  In response to the "what do you do all day" question, he describes his activities like golf, putzing on the computer, working with horses, and so forth.

He is also a very nice guy, and has an easy-going, polite, gentle way of answering these questions that doesn't threaten the (relatively) poor person who asks the question.  Just to turn the question a little bit, he might make a comment about missing work some days, or whatever.  This gives the other person a chance to say "Oh, NO!!, let me tell you about . . .," and the conversation changes.

Thoses are good answers. I like the "manage a private investment portfolio" response. However the guy I was refering to above wouldn't get it. He would get REWahoo's answer. :D I will be politically correct when appropriate.  :-\

I was ar a New Years bash with about a dozen 40 somethings, all materially successful, all own their own business', that is what I got hit with.

I usually answer that I hike frequently, take Max for walks along the Bay, chat with people on the phone, look after the house,shop, do the cooking sometimes(I SUCKat it), gardening in summer, snow maintenance in Winter, fishing, a little hunting, manage my Investments(I am prety good), I don't say I frequent some chat sites, that elicits suspicious looks.

I miss my Health Club, although I now hear of a mega gazillion dollar one going up near bye with Olympic sized pool etc, that would be perfect.

I don't watch daytime TV, that could be a killer.

I don't watch daytime TV, that could be a killer.

yeah, I hear that ... first thing I did was CANCEL HBO. Didn't want to hit into that sand trap.

Now if I can just get heat into my barn so I can wood work year round. Thinking of a wood stove ... we'll see.

DOG51 said:
Thoses are good answers. I like the "manage a private investment portfolio" response. However the guy I was refering to above wouldn't get it. He would get REWahoo's answer. :D I will be politically correct when appropriate.  :-\

Honestly, having a cover story is one of the reasons I will probably start a small business after I check out of FT employment. I personally could care less what others think, but my kids and (especially) my wife will find life easier if I have a cover story. My FIL is definately afflicted with the dreaded Protestant work ethic and would never understand.

My husband had a hard time with telling people he was retired especially when they asked if I was too.  He knew his buddies would give him grief about being a kept man, which they did. He's finally gotten over it and just smiles and tells them he's a house husband.

Once I RE my answer to that question will be "what ever I damned dang please".  I've always been known to give an honest answer LOL

tryan said:
Now if I can just get heat into my barn so I can wood work year round.  Thinking of a wood stove ... we'll see.

Would that be a place to dispose of woodworking projects that don't quite turn out the way you planned?

I've just started telling people that I stay home to watch the baby and I sponge off my wife.

Then they stop talking to me.

Pretty much works for everyone concerned.

Sometime later, someone usually clues them in that I'm a multimillionaire and I'm sure that makes them feel pretty foolish for judging me.

That pretty much works for everyone concerned too.

But I guess if you've got a big ego and cant loaf without some kind of good explanation...not so much. ;)

brewer12345 said:
I personally could care less what others think, but my kids and (especially) my wife will find life easier if I have a cover story.  My FIL is definately afflicted with the dreaded Protestant work ethic and would never understand.
I'm going with Jarhead's advice-- not only will your kids not notice what you do, they won't even care. However they will remember every missed evolution or performance in their lives for the rest of your life, and they'll remind you of that perception at every opportunity.

As for your spouse & FIL, I think you should support them by letting them work as many hours per week as they feel necessary to be able to sleep well at night. Step aside and don't hold them back-- they shouldn't have to compete with the rest of us for their employment opportunities!

Besides, you know that for the rest of your life you'll be indulging your income-producing hobby of finding & analyzing deep-value stocks & bonds. "Private investor"-- no cover story necessary.

I discovered that when I told people I was a 'private investor' or 'an investor', they thought I was some sort of con man.

"I'm taking a sabbatical from work so I can spend time with my son while he's still a baby" worked ok, but the rubber question "When ya goin' back?" got me.

() said:
but the rubber question "When ya goin' back?" got me.

When he (your son) is married and your grandchildren turn 21? :confused:

Well, thats a fair answer given that i'll be in the 80-90 range by then.

Should be pretty amusing to go to my sons high school graduation just before I turn 60... "Oh look gabe, your grandparents came to your graduation!".

Besides, in about 10-11 years I expect to have a full time job picking up the phone every 15 minutes and answering the questions "Is gabe there?" "Where is he?" "Who is he with?" "Do you know why he isnt answering his cell phone when I call?" ;)

I'm gearing up for this question already. When I tell folks I am ERing, there first response is , "what are you going to do?". My response has been "Not what I'm doing now." , or "Nothing". The later tends to end the conversation.

You spend all your life trying to justify your existance in life through your work at parties, gatherings , etc. I feel no need continue when I ER. THe answer of "Nothing", will make them refelect on what They are really doing.

Christopher

() said:
Well, thats a fair answer given that i'll be in the 80-90 range by then.

Should be pretty amusing to go to my sons high school graduation just before I turn 60... "Oh look gabe, your grandparents came to your graduation!".

I was 42 when my second son was born, so that happened to me a few times. There seem to be more older Dads around now though.

Ha

Hey, just have a baby. Then you dont need to chase them, they come right up to you and flirt. Heck, you're 99.99% harmless.

() said:
Hey, just have a baby.  Then you dont need to chase them, they come right up to you and flirt.  Heck, you're 99.99% harmless.

A really fluffy dog that looks like Bingo is almost as good. Not only is my dog fluffy, he is named Bingo.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom