Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-20-2007, 11:03 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
What if everybody retired as soon as they earned enough to sustain themselves?
I was thinking more about this last night, and what a strange world it would be. I know I'm being extreme, as people work for more than money, but taking the question literally for a moment. There would be no celebrities. NBA players would play one season, or maybe just a few games. Executives would similarly just work a few months after achieving high status. Rock stars would put out one album, play maybe a few venues, and then never be heard from again. I'm not sure if movies could get made, but no one would ever work on more than one successful project. Perhaps all movies would be small independent ventures. Television shows would last just a few episodes. Wild.

This is getting pretty esoteric, but there would also have to be a dramatic shift in the share of goods going to labor. The benefits of production are split between govenrment, capital and labor, and there is a lot of political tension in that relationship. To create a much larger leisure class there would have to be a large reduction in labor's share of the output, and an increase for the other two. I'm curious exactly how that would play out.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2007, 12:49 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo2 View Post
I was thinking more about this last night, and what a strange world it would be. I know I'm being extreme, as people work for more than money, but taking the question literally for a moment. There would be no celebrities. NBA players would play one season, or maybe just a few games. Executives would similarly just work a few months after achieving high status. Rock stars would put out one album, play maybe a few venues, and then never be heard from again. I'm not sure if movies could get made, but no one would ever work on more than one successful project. Perhaps all movies would be small independent ventures. Television shows would last just a few episodes. Wild.

This is getting pretty esoteric, but there would also have to be a dramatic shift in the share of goods going to labor. The benefits of production are split between govenrment, capital and labor, and there is a lot of political tension in that relationship. To create a much larger leisure class there would have to be a large reduction in labor's share of the output, and an increase for the other two. I'm curious exactly how that would play out.
You are discounting one of the basic human emotions...........greed!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:32 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Greed is illegal in my proposed ER utopia. Once you have your share, you must retire. And start speaking French.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:08 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
Greed is illegal in my proposed ER utopia. Once you have your share, you must retire. And start speaking French.
I'm not sure I care for the language requirement, but may I suggest that you also include the phrase, "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness", in the list of rights enumerated in the documents establishing your society utopia...

NotSoonEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:48 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I've met several ER types who are homeless vets or some type
government or insurance payment for who knows what living overseas. They seem to be able to do anything most people can and great complainers when it comes to something they don't like to do. They tend to have the sourest opinion on most things specially the government and where they come from ( U.S.A.).

I am as old if not older than many of them and will never see
such hand outs even though I am still working and paying into
such benefit plans to the tune of 40% of my earnings.

Maybe if we made everyone accountable for their own problems I could of retired much before by being financtially responsible.

Maybe we should all just be able to lay around and do what we want after 20 years of work. We can always use illegal labor to make up for the short fall, then of course they would not be able to send 80% of their earnings back home as we would need it to pay for our own enjoyment.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:01 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Work would become play

or be highly renumerated. Automation and technology would be used where ever possible. Everyone else would want to immigrate.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:28 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't even consider it, because it's not going to happen.

I know a few >$100M folks who still work! They do so, because that's where they get their jollies. I'm delighted for them. I'm delighted for me not to be like them.

But beyond those "superstars" who are having the times of their lives in their careers performing in the limelight and enjoying the fat paychecks, I suspect a large number of people who CAN ER, in fact DO, as soon as they can do so with sufficient assets to support a reasonable lifestyle. It's just that MOST people CAN'T. It's no small feat to amass sufficient assets to ER. That option is simply not available to most people for due to a wide variety of circumstances.

Audrey
Old 12-24-2007, 08:40 AM   #28
Administrator

If everybody made the same choices in life this would be such a boring world.

Luckily, exercising our freedom of choice in when to retire, once we can afford to do so, is part of the freedom we have in this country (right now). Our ancestors fought for our freedom, and some of those on the forum have done so as well. We owe them a lot.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Let's see if everybody ER'd as soon as they could? Well there are those people who really have a good enjoyable job and so probably would not retire! The rest of us well... we would retire and be mellow