Join Early Retirement Today

What I'm doing in ER... Art Show in NYC this weekend
Old 03-02-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What I'm doing in ER... Art Show in NYC this weekend

Nords caught wind of this and urged me to post this here.
If anyone is in NY this weekend and likes art, you can join me and see what at least one happily ER'd person is doing 10 years in.

I'll be showing several new sculptures at the PooL Art Fair during Armory Arts week. March 5,6,7 from 3 to 10pm at the Cavalier Hotel. There I won't be ESRBob, but Bob Clyatt. Come say Hi!

Here's a link to the invitation with place time, etc.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2010, 05:44 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So cool Bob! Sometimes I forget you are an artist, then I look at your web site and say - wow! Thanks for sharing and congrats.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

I love those sculptures . You are so talented . Congratulations !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Wish I were in NYC to view these sculptures first hand. They are wonderful. I love the way you are staying busy and involved in "retirement."
ScottFromUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #5

Aside from being very into arts in High School, all I ever did during 25 years of college/work was go to art museums and soak up the gallery scene. Then when I hit ER, one of the ten items on my "To Do" list was to take some sculpture classes if for no other reason that it was one of those things that always seemed like it would be cool to do one day. Little did I know that the first time I got my hands on clay and started making a head was like the best buzz ever. It has been non-stop ever since, but it's all something I learned in classes and workshops/adult-ed during ER.

So who knows what you have in you that won't get a chance to come out until you stop the full-time grind?

Thanks for your interest and support,
Old 03-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Way cool!

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #7

I had to look up your art using your name on the net. Wow! You're really good!!! I love your style alot. That's the type of art I would actually buy...which says alot from me. You have talent I wish I had but don't.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
That's the type of art I would actually buy...which says alot from me.
It's not the purchase price, it's the shipping!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dance_LifeSize_Bob_Clyatt_Sculpture.JPG (505.8 KB, 0 views)
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:16 AM   #9

Yeah...I know. Downer, eh?
In Houston I had a client who had this fantastic oil painting he bought in Paris. It was probably 4' x 5', and I wondered what his shipping cost was privately each time I saw it. But it really was great and probably worth it if you could just grit your teeth and pay it.
I took some art classes in college myself for no other reason than I enjoy being creative. I'm one of those people who's really good with my hands but can't draw a lick, so I've done some good work with silk flowers, designing and/or sewing things, cutting hair, making pots for plants, decoupage, that sort of thing that people who can't really draw do but have an artistic bent. It's relaxing to me, and I've always done these sorts of things from the time I was little, so I greatly admire sculpture (and, of course, painting).
And I really enjoy Bob's work alot.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:31 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Amazing work and talent,.......although I think my 12 yr old would have a serious case of nightmares with any of those hanging around the house
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:02 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post
Amazing work and talent,.......although I think my 12 yr old would have a serious case of nightmares with any of those hanging around the house
Some of Bob's early sculptures used the heads of his kids.

Let me rephrase that: he used his kids as models for some of his early sculptures...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote