Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-21-2008, 08:38 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Got this in an email today. What you do in retirement!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2008, 09:05 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Bored?? You've got to be kidding. I'm so busy I'm falling behind. I need to retire from being retired. Here's a short list going forward in no particular priority.

Finishing clearing the trees off the dam
Paint the outside trim on apartment rentals
Design the basement remodeling project
Start the remodeling project
Pick up the leaves
Put organic material in garden area to improve soil condition
Complete water treatment issues for coliform problem
Do some Christmas shopping
clean out the gutters...again
Overseed lawn
etc

You get the idea. The more property you own, the more time it takes I guess. There are several volunteer projects I want to get into, but I haven't felt I have the time to devote to it yet. And it's about time to start planning for the next vacation trip next Spring. Retirement is not for the lazy apparently. I hope I can get things taken care of over the next 6-9 months so I can start doing new things. We'll see. It strikes me that a lot depends on how much of the stuff that needs to be done you can, and want to, do yourself. If I hired someone to do the majority of the list above, I could move on to other things. But I have a hard time paying other people to do things I can do just as well. That's always been my personal curse.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
I'm so busy I'm falling behind.
In case you missed it, here's a thread on this very subject: How I Stopped My Assets from dropping...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
What is life like after FIRE?
Old 11-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What is life like after FIRE?

I play some golf, but I spend most of my time worrying about my shrinking portfolio and the coming Depression.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Doing nothing is doing nothing! Watching TV is doing something. I have always looked curiously at folks on this board that look in disdain at those that choose to watch TV, yet going to a movie is doing something. Surfing the net is doing nothing i.e. this board is doing nothing, but interacting with friend is doing something.

I am always doing something. I seldom sit in my chair and stair. However, even then I am doing something as I am usually thinking. There always seems to be something constructive to do. Walk the dog, hobbies, maintenance on the home or yard, plan trips, visit kids, visit neighbor, shop, watch TV, write inane comments on this board, all the things that make up life, and NO, I have never been bored! Retirement is the freedom to do what ever YOU want to do when ever YOU want to do it. Just because you are doing something someone else would consider boring makes no difference.

By the way 100% of my day is spent watching TV and surfing the net, except for the time I am doing things constructive, like taking naps, eating and things DW makes me do.

Oh, the other thing we do is learn how to use the search function on this forum.
I'm doing basically the same thing in retirement as rustic23 but where Rustic23 is quite happy in what he/she is doing i find that i'm constantly bored and restless,So a lot of how you view your retirement is a matter of perspective.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm doing basically the same thing in retirement as rustic23 but where Rustic23 is quite happy in what he/she is doing i find that i'm constantly bored and restless,So a lot of how you view your retirement is a matter of perspective.
Gotta be responsible for your own entertainment.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:48 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I retired 9 years ago when I was 53. At that time I was feeling very sick and tired of the rat race - and not only at work. I was tired of American social (as in sociological) constraints. If a friend gets married or dies or whatever, we have our rituals which you simply must attend. Also the never ending incompetent bureaucracy with answering machines that make you wait for hours. That's just a partial list.

So I moved to Indonesia where the local people have their own social protocols, but I am under no obligation to follow any of their customs. I can live my life in almost complete freedom. I can rent a car and driver for $30 a day - or just ride a motorbike - no need for a license. I hired two young women as maids and they will cook, clean and shop for me (I am single). Many men make a living out of helping foreigners keep their passports and visas in order - so I don't have that hassle.

So what do I do all day? Well, my house is on the ocean front - so I can go swimming, snorkeling, or surfing. At night I can go to the local restaurants where tourists hang out. I can meet people from all over the globe. The weather is always warm, so I can jog or ride a horse in comfort. I teach English to the local young people and also will do some cooking or work around the house if I want to. A foreign country offers a chance to see and experience many new things that are totally different from the US.

Another benefit is being rich in a poor country. The young women love to go shopping with me, and it is their culture to talk and be friendly with people who are older (unlike the US).

I suggest you look into moving to another country after retirement - for me, life has been much better than life in the US.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:41 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo View Post
I
Another benefit is being rich in a poor country. The young women love to go shopping with me, and it is their culture to talk and be friendly with people who are older (unlike the US).

I suggest you look into moving to another country after retirement - for me, life has been much better than life in the US.
So do the young women (or men) also like chatting up and shopping with the rich old women from the US? I'm not really being sarcastic, I am curious.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:02 AM   #29

Martha, the key is RICH. Even in the good old USA, rich men and women find it easy to find young men and women that appear to 'like' to chat and definitely like to shop as long as the rich pay.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:19 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo View Post
What are the local views on older retired men dating younger women?
Old 11-22-2008, 12:13 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Let me answer the two questions this way... first, yes, younger men do enjoy being around older women. A lot of the attraction is skin color. All Indonesian people think light skin people are attractive... and I have discovered that most Westerners like the dark skin that looks like a nice tan. Quite a few Western men and women will marry a local young person and the relationship seems quite compatible - as long as the married couple stays in the local area. Bringing a young foreign spouse to the US is social taboo in the US!

As far as rich, I live on a budget of $3000 per month. That is rich here, but not rich in the US.

Wide age spans in marriage is quite common in Indonesia. It is part of their culture. The reason is a long and complex story (but interesting). However, let me just say that everyone accepts the fact that any young person can be very happy with a respected older person who lives a much better lifestyle - with access to good medical care, good food, etc. Older Westerners also are much more "modern" - and the young people don't want a local spouse who still keeps the old mores.

The children of mixed blood marriages are very attractive to both locals and Westerners alike... so any family that has a chance to have a mixed blood child born to the family is very proud.

However, even an older, rich, local man often has several wives - one of them less than 25 years old. Sorry ladies, more than one wife only works in one direction - women can't have two husbands.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:53 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Actually, a year into retirement, I'm finding that retirement life really is pretty much like a Saturday with all of the laundry and vacuuming done. I was always pretty active with outdoor activities, reading, vacation travel, and a few interesting hobbies. I'm now doing more of that. I occationally get bored, but I got more bored at work. I get up early and am excited about the day most every day, don't nap a lot and have a rule not to watch TV before 5 (PM!).

I think that generally if you were a couch potato while working, you probably will be one in retirement. If you kept busy with interesting things while working you will find similar things to do in retirement.

I read in the books that you can use your new found time to learn spanish or learn how to play the saxaphone. My best guess is that not many people take up totally new ground like this in retirement. But if you played a little sax when you were younger, you might pull it out again and have some fun getting better and maybe joining a little band. Things like that.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:36 PM   #33

Much as I'd like it to, my retirement hasn't included sex with young 3rd world women. Other than that, even with market meltdowns, it's been great. Nobody, except for DW, tells me what to do/think/whatever. That's the nice part of FI.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:48 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Much as I'd like it to, my retirement hasn't included sex with young 3rd world women. Other than that, even with market meltdowns, it's been great. Nobody, except for DW, tells me what to do/think/whatever. That's the nice part of FI.
Can't quite tell if that was sarcasm or envy, but may I humbly suggest investing in a web cam?