Join Early Retirement Today

What is Ocala FL like?
Old 02-07-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
gone traveling

What is Ocala FL like?

My 78 YO father has decided he hates being outside of philly and went and sold a GREAT place this week, is flying to Ocala this weekend, I am thinking of meeting him down there. I never was crazy about florida especially that central part of the state.

Is he crazy for wanting to be there?? Help Please if anyone knows the area.

Thanks
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: What is Ocala FL like?
Old 02-07-2007, 04:36 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Ocala looks like Pennsylvania,Horse farms and small rolling hills .It looks much nicer than a lot of central Florida .Bad news it's close to were the tornado hit .Good news it's close to the Gators stadium.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

not familiar with ocala but i like gainesville very much and am considering a move there in 3 to 5 years. i think those tornados were just freaks. i lived there for a few years back in college. don't recall any bad weather outside of some cold in winter. i do recall lots of hazy skies though as opposed to our almost constant blue skies.

florida gets interesting up there because the land starts getting some rolling hills instead of the total flat terrain we have in south florida. lots of cypress & pine & old oak trees with spanish moss hanging from them.

not a whole lot of development up there yet though i imagine that will change over the next 20 years. and in 100 years after all the coastlines flood the relatively cheap land around gaineville & ocala just might become prime property.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

While Ocala itself is undistinguished (at least the parts I have driven through), the countryside nearby is gorgeous. Wealthy ranches, gentle hills, and near the nature coast to the west. I am sure there are beautiful neighborhoods that you don't see on a drive through.

Well worth a good look, if a little remote.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:15 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, the countryside around Ocala is very, very nice. The town itself - not very interesting - more urban sprawl than anything. Or maybe I missed something - but I sure checked it out.

Audrey
Old 02-08-2007, 05:45 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We just came back from the Ocala area, the others are correct, beautful ranches and farms but the city is just like any other. If I were going to settle somewhere in Fl it would be that area.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:10 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I lived in Gainesville for many years and worked with organizations providing services in Ocala and other areas. As Rich and others have said, the city of Ocala is not very distinguished, but the surrounding countryside is beautiful - farms and horse country.

Ocala has a rapidly growing older retiree population, and home prices are more moderate than in south Florida. It is more of a "blue collar" community. Traffic on the main roads is quite congested. There are 2 hospitals literally across the street from one another and a surprisingly well organized community network of social service supports. There are several golf courses, the major chains, and a community college. Because it is inland (for Florida anyway), the summer humity is high and it can be 5 - 10 degrees hotter in Ocala and Gainesville than at the coast. OTOH, while it does get an occaisional winter freeze, the fronts often stop just above or just below Gainesville, so it is often a few degrees warmer than the neighboring northern city.

Gainesvile, just 40 minutes to the north is home to the University of Florida and a major teaching hospital. Thus, some very high quality health care, as well as sports and arts are easily accessible.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:41 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

My grandfather when he was alive lived their in a place called Pine Run if I remember right. It is on state road 200 about 7miles west of Rt75. When I first moved him there in about 1983 or so, Rt200 was a 2 lane road and if we saw another car or two all the way from Rt75 you were lucky. Last time I was there which was 10 years or more, Rt200 was a four lane highway and built up all over. It is definitely horse country there as that was the reason my grandfather moved there.Good luck in your search, Jerry
CRABBY JERRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:22 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My memory is that Ocala is the heart of Florida horse country, as in thorobreds. Rich people own these horses, and take really good care of them. Horses have an eye for beauty. Go where they go.

Ha
Old 02-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #10
Confused about dryer sheets

I have lived in Florida for about 8 years. Before settling on a spot we toured all parts of Florida for several years. The other people that responded to your question are correct in there discriptions of the Ocala area. However, there is much more to selecting a spot than its attractiveness, etc. We initially purchased a home in Jupiter Florida (east coast of Florida) and lived there for several years. However, there was not enough to keep us interested. You could either play golf or go to the beach. That was a bit limiting plus I came down with skin cancer (cured now). It is a beautiful town but it was not cosmopolitan enough for us.

We bought a home in Tampa (west coast) which is very close to the University of South Florida. One of the nice things about Forida as a senior is that you can audit any of the regular classes at state universities for free (and use the athletic facilities, get student discounts at various events, etc). In Ocala (or where I live in Tampa) I am not effected by a storm surge from a hurricane as you might on the coast. That is also a plus. However, most will probably agree that you do not want to live anywhere in Florida during the summer unless you really love heat and humidity. Thus plan on taking extensive vacations in the summer, visiting the kids, or buying a second home. Many Floridians like to buy cabins in the mountains of the Carolinas, Georgia, etc. We recently purchased a condo in Morelia Mexico where we will be spending summers. So - in short go where ever you find the most interesting things to do based on your own criteria and try to stay on high ground.
bigpalmtrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:51 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Friend retired from the Pittsburgh area to Ocala recently. Had a house built in Top Of The World. Likes it very much. He originally wanted to move to The Villages, but decided it had become too costly.
Yes Ocala is horse farm country, but doesn't remind me at all of Pennsylvania.
Hills ? not really.
Green ? not really, it's a dull drab green, very different from the beautiful lush dark greens of Pa's hillsides.
But, to each his own. At least you won't have to worry about Hurricanes. And unlike southern Florida, there are 3 seasons: spring, summer, and fall.
Tiny bit of winter, I suppose.
Best of all, lots of sunshine, unlike western Pa.
renferme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 12:10 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennevis
Green ? not really, it's a dull drab green, very different from the beautiful lush dark greens of Pa's hillsides.
Yeah, especially the part with the six feet of snow on top!!

Sorry. Apparently I'm still carrying around "Someplace Special" baggage...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote