What is (or will be) your second career?

Well, I have a while to look forward to achieving it. I got married a couple of years into ER and our 3 year old still likes waking me up at 5-5:30 am.

I await longingly the teenage years when I'll struggle awake at 7:30 to go yank him out of bed to get to school on time.

I fell asleep at 7pm last night. This is gravely disappointing.

I've thought about a hot dog stand or maybe a starter at a golf course.

Speaking of having a hot dog stand, didn't the guy who started General Motors end up serving coffee in a diner?

After FIRE'ing, my plan is to be a starving artist.

Well, hopefully not starving if I get the FI part right. I work a full time technical job right now for a Mega-corp, but have also been working hard at making a name for myself as an artist. It can be a bit draining working these 2 jobs at once so after RE, I really look forward to spending much more time out in the fields and woods with my paintbrushes and canvases, and not having my time limited by the Mega-corp job anymore. Can't tell you how much I look forward to that.

coaching

I coach junior girls volleyball and give private volleyball lessons. It makes me a fair bit of money and I really enjoy being around the younger crowd and being able to help them do something that they enjoy.

Retired now for three years and worked for a major tax prep firm this past tax season. Not really a second career more of a part time job when the weather is too crummy for golfing and motorcycle riding.

Teaching, a job I did 27 years ago before I went to work for Megacorp. Loved it, but quit to earn more money, plus I was ready for a new challenge. My preference would be to teach at a local community college, but I am also considering high schools.

The guy in Jimmy Buffet's "Margaritaville" song...but the DW isn't buying in on that.

Been doing alot of traveling lately and have come along way since learning about this FIRE concept - a complete 180 from where I started last year.
I'd like to go a completely different direction from my previous life, but capitalize on the experiences (I'm a savvy traveler plus speak 3 languages). The current goal is to have my RN cert knocked out, and keep my EMT current...Perhaps I could assist other travelers as well as the indig wherever I go. Our hostel in Guatemala will be complete by the end of May and the MIL is taking care of running that, but I think spending part of the year down there helping out prospective FIREEs checking out the scene, volunteering, and doing the 'margaritaville'-like activity is a start.

more to follow...

salud!
1-0

I was going to do a drive-by on this thread and type, "Car*** what," but Meadbh's new life as a dilettante got me dreaming about being a flaneur.

If I had to have a second career, it might as a professional dog walker. Get plenty of exercise and have intelligent companions.

Barring that, maybe a professional bicycle racer. That way none of the other riders would have to worry about finishing last:rolleyes:.

I plan to be a personal trainer and teach yoga, pilates and possibly Spin classes (a strange career choice considering I'll be 51). I've spent the last 4 years in classes and trainings to become knowledgable and certified. I've been working as a part time instructor at a local studio to get the hands-on experience. I've reinvested all my earnings from the studio back into my training and certifications. I have less then 10 months left in megacorp and then I'm off to start my new part time career (and enjoy my hobbies). I know I won't make as much money, but the job satisfaction more then makes up for it.

Second career? I figure people either work because they need the money, or it is a social outlet, or a hobby.

We will be FI. If I do something... it is likely to motivated by my interest.

HFWR has the right idea. Bend dem gitar strangs!

Retired now for three years and worked for a major tax prep firm this past tax season. Not really a second career more of a part time job when the weather is too crummy for golfing and motorcycle riding.

Frayne,
I've thought of doing this too, but wondered if it payed enough to make it worth the effort. I have no tax background, but am pretty sure I can learn what's needed for the job. Working for part of the year appeals to me - especially, if I feel the need for a supplemental income in ER.

One guy I worked with wanted to sell fish from the side of the road, and he did that for several years after retirement. Not for me, it's too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter.

Another works 2-3 days a week for minimum wage at the golf course shop. Being an employee he gets free golf and sometimes free food from the restaurant.

I'm going back to work to buy some toys. A travel trailer if I can talk DW into going, if not I may go by myself or get a light sport aircraft and bore holes in the sky. Perhaps an ultralight - I've never flown one of those. No skydiving though, I think people who jump out of perfectly good airplanes are nuts.

I want to take the place of Guy what's-his-name on the Food Network show "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives". Ah yes..... traveling around the U.S. in a classic Camaro convertible, sampling food from various establishments8)

Guy what's-his-name

Maybe not so great a deal. When he won the "next food network star" (or whatever it was) contest, the foodtv network got to use him in an unlimited capacity for a fairly cheap salary for several years. And man, is there a single show they have running now that he isnt shoved into?

I call him "the food networks bitch". Makes my wife giggle.

Seems like everyone has a different take on a second or FIRE career. I enjoy these discussions.

My goal is to FIRE within a couple of years, by age 52-53. We have some rental units to manage, so it will be nice to have that be my "day job" at only 5-10 hours/week.

Once FIREd I would like to expand my long time avocation of performing music into writing music and also general writing and photography for periodicals, etc. I never felt comfortable with the idea of earning a living as an writer or artist (and neither did my DW or kids...), but we have worked hard toward FIRE to enable the pursuit of these passions.

We also have a 40 acre farm to maintain, but that is like therapy for DW and I.

Happy FIRE folks!

Not sure yet. I'm hoping to find something I both enjoy and can do largely on my terms (as in number of hours worked, which hours I worked, et cetera).

Frayne,
I've thought of doing this too, but wondered if it payed enough to make it worth the effort. I have no tax background, but am pretty sure I can learn what's needed for the job. Working for part of the year appeals to me - especially, if I feel the need for a supplemental income in ER.

The pay isn't all that great but depends on the amount of time you work and the number of tax returns you do. I took the course to learn more about doing my own taxes more than anything else and did taxes just to see how I liked it. From taking the tax classes I learned enough that it made sense to set up an HSA. Plus continuing education classes on tax stuff keeps my brain from going into atrophy. I did enjoy the work and the people and will probably contimue to do it until I get bored and decide to do something else.

I'm with those who want to be the next road person for "Drive Ins, Diner and Dives." Looks like a blast to me!

Back
Top Bottom