Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-05-2008, 08:18 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Old blues man.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2008, 02:00 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Second career? I figure people either work because they need the money, or it is a social outlet, or a hobby.

We will be FI. If I do something... it is likely to motivated by my interest.

HFWR has the right idea. Bend dem gitar strangs!
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:07 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Retired now for three years and worked for a major tax prep firm this past tax season. Not really a second career more of a part time job when the weather is too crummy for golfing and motorcycle riding.
Frayne,
I've thought of doing this too, but wondered if it payed enough to make it worth the effort. I have no tax background, but am pretty sure I can learn what's needed for the job. Working for part of the year appeals to me - especially, if I feel the need for a supplemental income in ER.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:53 AM   #44

One guy I worked with wanted to sell fish from the side of the road, and he did that for several years after retirement. Not for me, it's too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter.

Another works 2-3 days a week for minimum wage at the golf course shop. Being an employee he gets free golf and sometimes free food from the restaurant.

I'm going back to work to buy some toys. A travel trailer if I can talk DW into going, if not I may go by myself or get a light sport aircraft and bore holes in the sky. Perhaps an ultralight - I've never flown one of those. No skydiving though, I think people who jump out of perfectly good airplanes are nuts.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:58 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

I want to take the place of Guy what's-his-name on the Food Network show "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives". Ah yes..... traveling around the U.S. in a classic Camaro convertible, sampling food from various establishments8)
Old 05-06-2008, 11:15 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
Guy what's-his-name
Maybe not so great a deal. When he won the "next food network star" (or whatever it was) contest, the foodtv network got to use him in an unlimited capacity for a fairly cheap salary for several years. And man, is there a single show they have running now that he isnt shoved into?

I call him "the food networks bitch". Makes my wife giggle.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:06 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Seems like everyone has a different take on a second or FIRE career. I enjoy these discussions.

My goal is to FIRE within a couple of years, by age 52-53. We have some rental units to manage, so it will be nice to have that be my "day job" at only 5-10 hours/week.

Once FIREd I would like to expand my long time avocation of performing music into writing music and also general writing and photography for periodicals, etc. I never felt comfortable with the idea of earning a living as an writer or artist (and neither did my DW or kids...), but we have worked hard toward FIRE to enable the pursuit of these passions.

We also have a 40 acre farm to maintain, but that is like therapy for DW and I.

Happy FIRE folks!
Old 05-06-2008, 12:43 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Not sure yet. I'm hoping to find something I both enjoy and can do largely on my terms (as in number of hours worked, which hours I worked, et cetera).
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:29 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Frayne,
I've thought of doing this too, but wondered if it payed enough to make it worth the effort. I have no tax background, but am pretty sure I can learn what's needed for the job. Working for part of the year appeals to me - especially, if I feel the need for a supplemental income in ER.

The pay isn't all that great but depends on the amount of time you work and the number of tax returns you do. I took the course to learn more about doing my own taxes more than anything else and did taxes just to see how I liked it. From taking the tax classes I learned enough that it made sense to set up an HSA. Plus continuing education classes on tax stuff keeps my brain from going into atrophy. I did enjoy the work and the people and will probably contimue to do it until I get bored and decide to do something else.
frayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:39 AM   #50

I'm with those who want to be the next road person for "Drive Ins, Diner and Dives." Looks like a blast to me!
Old 05-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #51

I'm thinking about being a manwhore.............
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #52
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I'm with those who want to be the next road person for "Drive Ins, Diner and Dives." Looks like a blast to me!

I'm in as long as I don't have to eat deep fried Twinkies !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:19 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I was a freelance gynecologist for a while after I retired, but my wife has nixed taking up that excellent second career again.

Turns out she's rather inflexible about some things...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:22 PM   #54
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I was a freelance gynecologist for a while after I retired, but my wife has nixed taking up that excellent second career again.

Did she at least let you keep the stirrups ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post

me toooo, im up to my elbows in work

AMATEUR GYNECOLOGIST, HONK FOR FREE EXAM
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Wait for it...
Old 05-07-2008, 05:35 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Wait for it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Since she was my last patient, yes. I had to take some accelerated depreciation on my capital equipment that year though.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:58 PM   #58

I play golf for money. Since Ive started keeping track it looks like I'm not very good at it.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:45 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

[quote=Sarah in SC;652926]I have also thought of volunteering with Water Missions International, taking self-contained water systems in to areas without potable water. "

I have a friend who volunteers with them and knows all the people if you want me to hook you up, let me know.
enfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:00 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
me toooo, im up to my elbows in work
I'm shocked no-one has picked up this one and run with it yet...
figner is offline   Reply With Quote