Join Early Retirement Today

What is the most you have paid for Golf?
Old 06-06-2007, 08:26 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Okay....DH and I were just discussing an opportunity for a cheap trip to Kauai (Princeville Resort). Anyway, we were joking about whether he could afford the cost of golf......so the question is:

What is the most you are willing to pay for a round of golf?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2007, 08:34 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

About $45 is where I draw the line, unless its a special course. I think I paid about $350 to play pebble beach around 11-12 years ago.

Around this area theres so much overbuilding of golf courses that you can usually find a very interesting course for around a buck a hole.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:04 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I have paid $250 for Trune North in Scottsdale, but the best I have played was Desert Mountain as a guest of a member. Living in AZ, I average $40 to $50 for 18 holes + cart, cheaper in the summer when it is 110 degrees out. I sure get my money's worth!
Old 06-06-2007, 09:36 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I asked DH, he said about $120/round at Bandon Dunes (Oregon) in the winter (part of a group). Regular price at favorite course: $22 as a senior at Gold Mountain (Washington).
Old 06-06-2007, 09:40 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

I think I paid $90 for a round at the Kapalua Bay Course in Maui last year. This was the cheaper after 2pm rate.
ExtinctBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:48 PM   #6

I usually play Los Angeles County Municipal Courses - there's about 25 to choose from within 30 minutes of my house. They all cost $22.00 plus cart. I think the cart runs $8.00 per person but I'm not really sure because I always walk. But, I've paid $150.00 for upscale courses and once a month I play a local country club course for $59.00 (that includes the cart). I'd pay more for Pebble Beach, Spyglass, Augusta, Oakmont, ya know, something really special, but for my weekly 18-36 holes, $22.00 is just perfect.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:12 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

$500. I don't care for golf, but two of my brothers and I pitched in $500 each for our other brother and his wife to have a golf weekend at Pebble Beach a while back. He had handled a gnarly financial problem for us and it just seemed right.

And that's the most fun I've ever had with golf.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:10 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'm not really a golfer...

Played two course at Hot Springs Village, Arkansaw; one was $55, the other $90, as I recall.

Of course, given my golfing acumen, I could just go to the edge of a wooded area, with some streams and/or lakes, and hit balls into the water and trees for free...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:12 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Ruptured disk - was the highest price I paid.

Have'nt spent that much time on the links since surgury.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:53 AM   #10

I think it was $165 at Champion's Gate (Greg Norman course, near Orlando).

Most of my rounds are under $35 for myself or take my son and a coupon for $20-$30 for both of us.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:20 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

$15. That's at the nice little local par 3 course. I used to go after work with my fellow "value conscious consumer" boss on Mondays just before 5:00 pm when the discounted greens fee was $6 (yes, for 18 holes!). Can't beat that price for a couple hours of knocking balls into the woods and/or water!
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:51 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Payed $325 to play Pinehurst No. 2 as a 10 handicap...when score got close to 95 I quit counting...It was the cruelist $325 I ever spent...

Second was $325 to play PGA at Sawgrass, Jacksonville, the one with nickle size 17th green. Played it before it was "softened" by Pete Dye...again, when I hit mid 90's I figured money was not well spent!!

In Iowa we spend about 35-45 a round for very nice golf from May 1 to early October...longer is a gift of weather gods.

"Golf is an easy game...it is just hard to play!"

Ted
Old 06-07-2007, 06:37 PM   #13

$4,000. John Deer Classic Pro Am. It did include tickets for the week, $700 in gifts, and some other perks.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:50 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Poipu Bay Golf Course- I didnt pay the $200 green fee but I did pay something like $60 for club rental and as many balls as I could hit at the driving range. Then when I came back in the had lemon scented rags to wipe off with. Beautiful place.

The municipal course I typically play is $11.00 and they let you go without a shirt if you want.
Deetso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:55 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

$500 once for a charity function, 18 holes at Black Wolf Run in Kohler, WI.

Of course I got to play with my best friend, as well as Harmon Killebrew, and Rhyne Duren (for you old baseball fans out there). Great foursome, great day, great cause, crappy golf on my part.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:36 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deetso View Post
The municipal course I typically play is $11.00 and they let you go without a shirt if you want.
Ladies too?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Blackwolf Run
Old 06-10-2007, 09:07 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via MSN to rjk514
Blackwolf Run

Paid 125.00 a few yrs ago to play it, shot 109 so will never
have to play it again, as i don't need the frustration any more.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:57 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Habits on the Green

Each year I donate to the Little Sisters of the Poor "Habits on the Green" golf tournament fund raiser. I sponsor a Sister in a round of golf and this year the "required" donation was $400.

I'm not Catholic, I don't live in Chicago (where they are located) nor do I have a friend or family-member in the St. Mary's nursing home they run. I started donating to them several years ago when I lived in Cincinnaiti. When Cardinal Bernadine was dying of cancer he asked people to send donations to St. Mary's because his mother was living there. Something about him really touched me and I have been donating ever since.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:49 AM   #19
Dryer sheet wannabe

Played the Plantation Course at Kapalua, Maui last year. This the course they play the Mercedes Championship on in January. Got the twilight rate of $130.
This is way more than I would usually pay but figured it was worth extra bucks just to say I played on a tour event course. It was very nice.
testtubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:38 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

$115 for a course in Destin, FL. I love golf but I'm not gonna play many courses over a $100.