Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: In what month would you choose to retire, if your choice?
Jan 12 12.37%
Feb 2 2.06%
Mar 5 5.15%
Apr 18 18.56%
May 7 7.22%
Jun 6 6.19%
Jul 4 4.12%
Aug 1 1.03%
Sep 3 3.09%
Oct 6 6.19%
Nov 0 0%
Dec 6 6.19%
I just want to retire! 27 27.84%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
Any month would have worked for me. For DW, we are shooting for March/April, right after her annual bonus is paid and the last of her stock options vests.
This is roughly the timeline for DW whenever the time comes. Around April 1 she will have received her annual 401k match, profit sharing match, and bonus, and pay increase with retroactive pay to 1st of year. Hard to pass up an amount that is roughly equal to 0.5 or 0.75 years of core ER expenses. Vacation time for the year is also accrued on Jan 1, so the month of March could consist of all vacation if we really wanted to squeeze every last ounce of charity out of DW's company.

A mid year ER date also means we probably wouldn't pay any income tax the year of ER (actually get a big refund) vs ERing late in the year.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Interesting results and comments so far... here's a pretty unscientific sample of retirement months for people in our ER community retiring this year culled from The Class of 2011

Month# RetiredPercent
Jan1017%
Feb12%
Mar610%
Apr47%
May814%
Jun916%
Jul1221%
Aug610%
Sep00%
Oct00%
Nov23%
Dec00%

I imagine the results are skewed toward the months of the year prior to now because a few people have said "put me down as such-and-such, I just retired last month".

Old 09-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
The perfect month is the first month you run all the numbers and feel very confident it's going to work out.
And this poll seems to support that theory...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
The perfect month is the first month you run all the numbers and feel very confident it's going to work out.
Actually, the numbers worked out 3+ years before I actually retired.

It was the decision of DW that "allowed" me to retire when I did (not when I could).

"If momma's not happy, nobody is happy "...
Old 09-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I retired March 1 and had three months of perfect weather. The guys I used to work with would always tell me I picked a great time to leave. Then the summer from hell hit in June now they tell me I REALLY picked a great time to leave. I don't miss being in a hot noisy power plant one bit.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I voted jan cause even though I was layed off that's when it happened.

Severance pay, unused sick leave/vacation all fell in my first year of ah 'unemployment' in their view, ER in mine. Thus I had some control to stay relatively 'tax poor' my first year.

heh heh heh -
Old 09-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

January 2- You get to go to the employee holiday party and know that it is your last one. People in the office are generally nice to each other at that time of year even if it only lasts a couple of weeks.
Deductibles on insurances get reset so you are not going to a new policy mid year. It becomes a new tax year so any lump sum payouts can be taken in the first year of retirement.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Due to pension rules, the first day of the month following the month in which I turned 55 was the magic date for me. I considered waiting until the end of January. The reset on 401k limits and the reset on the flexible health spending would have been a plus, but once I could go it was just too tempting...and I don't regret getting out as soon as the getting was good!
Old 09-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #29

The first month after you're financially able! Why wait?
Old 09-03-2011, 09:37 AM   #30

At the company I RE'ed from January held some attractions for those able to RE at the end of the year.

I retired the very first month I was eligible. It just happened to be January.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #31

While I agree with the idea of as soon as you can, it makes sense to consider the tax implications, bonus, stock vesting, anticipated expenses, etc to make the best decision for you.

I could have retired long ago, but decided to hold off while my kids were going through college, with me paying the bills. Still have DD in school as a Jr this Fall, but will pull the plug in the first half of next year nevertheless.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

You missed an option on the Poll: I did FIRE!

IMO - The prefect month is the first month you are able to do it.

Why wait?
Old 09-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I retired in September and it was perfect since Fall is my favorite time of the year. We spent 6 weeks traveling the state looking at Fall colors and hiking various state parks. Can't believe its been 5 years!
Old 09-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #34

One thing for sure, everyone has the correct answer (for them). There are such big differences from person to person and company to company, that each has to maximize his/her own opportunities.
I retired on April 1st because of bonus payments in March. I also had the option to take vacation or sell it back. Then I also received 3 months of this years projected bonus when I left. My age also dictated that my DB pension was maxed out and there was no incentive to stay longer.
I maximized my benefits by leaving on April 1st at age 60.
Even though I was eligible to leave before that date, the way I looked at it, that was when I was "most eligible" to leave.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #35

I didn't answer the poll because it is individual to situations often depending on work benefits. When DH retired he didn't want to retire before the end of March because we was to receive a bonus that month that about 40% of his prior year's base salary and he had to be employed to receive it. If he retired after April he would have another year of service for his DB plan calculation. If he retired after May he would receive payment when he retired of one half of the next year's vacation. So, June seemed right. His boss wanted him to work another month and he was willing to do it. However, strangely enough for his lump sum pension benefit (which he took instead of a pension) he would receive about $7k more retiring in June than July so he retired in June.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:26 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

DH and I both left our jobs in August. Would have been nice to have had the summer free, though, so I voted May.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #37
Dryer sheet wannabe

The month isn't all that important to me, but I voted for April because:

it's my birthday
annual bonuses will be paid by then even if there's a delay
I won't spend yet another summer freezing in my cubicle while the weather outside is so nice
Old 09-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #38

I say it's any month with a 'letter' in it.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
I say it's any month with a 'letter' in it.
I second that thought! Not one person has voted yet for November, the month when I retired, but let me tell you - - - November was a great month in which to retire. Because of ER, I sure had a lot to be thankful for that Thanksgiving and on into the holidays.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #40

Unless there's an upcoming severance package, buyout or the like I can't think of a reason one month would be any better than another. I retired effective July 1, 2002 but that was just when the numbers worked and there was a conference the previous April/May that I wanted to go to. (I enjoyed my job. Other factors made me leave.)

By early September we had moved from the insane traffic jams to West Virginia, where for the most part a "traffic jam" is two cars backed up at the stop sign.