Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: In what month would you choose to retire, if your choice?
Jan 12 12.37%
Feb 2 2.06%
Mar 5 5.15%
Apr 18 18.56%
May 7 7.22%
Jun 6 6.19%
Jul 4 4.12%
Aug 1 1.03%
Sep 3 3.09%
Oct 6 6.19%
Nov 0 0%
Dec 6 6.19%
I just want to retire! 27 27.84%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #41
gone traveling

I selected any month in which there is a Playboy Centerfold that I "admire" ...

Any month is good, in my world....
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I will be able per the rules of my retirement plan (CSRS) to retire on my 55th birthday, which is in January of 2013...so 15 1/2 months from now. However, if I want to be able to get paid for another year's worth of vacation time (208 hrs or a little over 5 weeks) I'd have to work until the end of December of the same year. If I did that I could also contribute another $22,500 to my TSP (401k) and my pension would also increase by an additional 2% for the rest of my life. Not saying I'd work the extra year but that's the way it would work out for me. In my opinion, the optimum time for a fed worker under the CSRS system to retire is the very end of December or the first couple of days of January....mainly to be able to get paid for the maximum amount of vacation leave (Annual Leave).

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:07 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

You should be so in the clear that it would be inconsequential when you retire. Rephrased, If it has more than a miniscule effect what month you retire, then you're not ready to retire yet.
slazenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantThinkofAUserName View Post
The month isn't all that important to me, but I voted for April because:

it's my birthday
annual bonuses will be paid by then even if there's a delay
I won't spend yet another summer freezing in my cubicle while the weather outside is so nice
I agree with all these except the birthday...I was born on Thanksgiving...my mom calls me a turkey.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #45
gone traveling

Retire on April Fools day?
ER Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:48 PM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

I voted April because it is my birthday and I work in accounting so am swamped in Jan-Feb and need to train my replacement. It will allow me to max my 401K for the year and my vacation pay accrued will make my annual income enough not to need withdrawals the first year. Also I can enjoy spring cleaning and getting ready to enjoy summer.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote