Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-14-2010, 07:36 AM   #141
Recycles dryer sheets

Learning consciousness can be controlled, allowing me to live a life as simple as possible, yet filled with happiness and meaning.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2010, 12:44 AM   #142
Recycles dryer sheets

what a homogeneous bunch! great thread.

my keys match the bulk here - save like crazy, no new cars, spouse, no stupid debt

i do use smart debt - to invest. unsecured fixed low interest rate loans helped me along. i still read every offer that comes in the mail. i save the good ones -- just in case i find something to invest in.
endthefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:30 AM   #143
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Busted my keister in high school to earn a scholarship, so I could get a tuition free college education (BS Physics).
Old 05-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #144
Recycles dryer sheets

1) Systems/Finance in college.

2) Switched to IT contract/consultant early to increase salary. Always worked at least 2 jobs/accounts for first 12 years.

3) Rental property and 1031 tax exchange.

4) Saved (keogh/sep/ira) as much as I could early to exploit compounding with tax defer.

5) Married spouse that worked. Make no mistake, it took 2. DW handled daily operations and I was in charge of real estate/investing and the big picture. (LBYM - lived on 1 salary, the lowest)

The harder we worked, the luckier we got.
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #145
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

My other Grandad went quietly - not yelling and screaming like his passengers.

I also had a Great Grandfather who knew exactly when he was going to die - the judge told him.

... and another of my Great Grandfathers almost died in World War I but survived a mustard gas attack - he ended up a seasoned veteran.

Back on topic.... I guess the best thing I've done to get where I am today is to laugh through everything that life throws at me. Humor is the best medicine.
May I use these lines if you are not in the same room. Thanks.
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:28 PM   #146
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc View Post
You certainly can - be my guest
Old 05-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #147
Recycles dryer sheets

I fortunately earned a full academic scholarship for my both Bachelor and Master degrees in engineering. I was offered a scholarship for my PhD but DW said that it was time to get a job. I ended up getting a great job.
treypar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:54 PM   #148
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc View Post
You may want to check it out with the originator of said expressions.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #149
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

a > No kids
b > Start own business
c > Be a cheap bugger
d > Have a compatible spouse
Koogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:47 PM   #150
Recycles dryer sheets

What we did to help us be able to retire 2 years early:
1. Both DW and I got a Ph.D. and had good jobs.
2. We worked our tails off as university faculty and as authors of textbooks.

We would be better off (or would have been able to retire even earlier) if we had not:
1. Had 7 kids, helped them all through college, and helped them get set up when they got married. Our reward: 20 grandkids so far.
2. Traveled throughout the world (before we got too old).

But I wouldn't have changed a thing.
ScottFromUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:14 PM   #151
Dryer sheet aficionado

Without a doubt, my choice of spouse is the reason we become financially independent. We are two peas in a pod. Great match, great life. While we will semi-retire early, I doubt either of us will fully retire until a very ripe old age. The work is too good.

Second would be the jobs we chose. Good pay for time spent working, ignoring the training to get there of course.

Third would be our children. It wasn't until we had them that life seemed to have a lot more purpose. Our goals were no longer aimed simply at pleasuring ourselves as we had for almost 40 years. Granted, we still find plenty of opportunity for pleasure.

Sorry to hear such defensive positions regarding the choice to be childfree. It's a very personal decision, one that we struggled with ourselves. I do agree with other posters about the exaggeration of the costs of raising children. I'm sure someone can pull one of those ridiculous estimates of raising a child from one the newspapers somewhere which are published for their sensationalism, but in reality, most parents know that the incremental cost of a child is not that much more than what it costs for two of you. Perhaps slightly more expense for the infant, and college kid (if you decide to fund this endeavour...many don't). I respect the decision to be childfree (one we made over and over again before switching gears in the twilight of our childbearing years), but I trust that there are other personal and lifestyle reasons for choosing to be childfree rather than simply early retirement.
michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:19 PM   #152

Quote:
Sorry to hear such defensive positions regarding the choice to be childfree. It's a very personal decision, one that we struggled with ourselves. I do agree with other posters about the exaggeration of the costs of raising children. I'm sure someone can pull one of those ridiculous estimates of raising a child from one the newspapers somewhere which are published for their sensationalism, but in reality, most parents know that the incremental cost of a child is not that much more than what it costs for two of you. Perhaps slightly more expense for the infant, and college kid (if you decide to fund this endeavour...many don't). I respect the decision to be childfree (one we made over and over again before switching gears in the twilight of our childbearing years), but I trust that there are other personal and lifestyle reasons for choosing to be childfree rather than simply early retirement.
Any man who hates small dogs and children can't be all bad - W.C. Fields
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:24 PM   #153

Right after leaving active duty with the USAF, I went to work for the federal government. The timing of this is important, because had I waited a couple more years, I wouldn't be about to retire with a fully COLA'd pension under the old Civil Service Retirement System. That program went away shortly after I started. I'm grandfathered though. Not because I was brilliant, but just because I couldn't think of anything better to do, I stayed with the federal govt., and will be able to retire in January, 2013. I also smartly stayed in the Air Force Reserves, and just retired from that on 1 April, this year. That means I'll be seeing another pension, COLA'd, starting on my 60th birthday (7 yrs from now). Those 2 pensions, along with my TSP & Roth IRA money, wife's 401K & Roth, will hopefully mean we'll be able to sleep well, travel a little, & enjoy our retirement years. The only other biggie we'll need is good health. Can't buy that, but fingers are crossed...
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote