What is Your Post-FIRE Profession?

W2R I second that emotion!

I say "private portfolio manager" unless retired is easier.

Reactions: W2R
Retired Engineer.

I will always be an Engineer even if I am not getting paid for it. :D

Once an engineer, always an engineer.
Once a knight is all I can give.

1. CFO (to DW)
2. I like what somebody suggested - "Asset Manager" - asset includes the house (do this, do that).
3. Financial Planner. Our own finances.

I was an unemployed slacker 49-55 when my first pension(non-cola) check arrived. Then I could attend a monthly lunch where retired engineers verbally re-engineered stuff(most of which was ok just as it was) and had a so-so lunch and heard a guest speaker of varing quality. We also guessed where the stock market was going - except in really down periods where 'that' subject lay dead on arrival.

heh heh heh - now I'm just retired. :greetings10:

Retired Engineer.

I'm sure being retired engineer must be an ice breaker if a person who's asking is working engineer. I'm a structural engineer, aka working stiff so when someone say their occupation is an engineer, I always ask them what type. When I was a pup (such long time ago), I always thought engineers were locomotive engineers. Then after I started working in NYC, machine operators are called operating engineers, sewage treatment workers are called process engineer...etc.

I think if I ever get to FIRE, I'll put Fortunate Engineer as occupation. :LOL:

I use Retired or Homemaker or Housewife. In reality, I am all three. My friends who are still working label me as "Woman who lunches".

Part-time consultant.

Actually true in my case, but it can apply to anyone.

I'm thinking combination curmudgeon, drunkard, and part-time old bluesman...

Most of the people who live in my building know me as the friendly yet slightly quirky guy who wanders around the house in his pajamas much of the day, fiddles with antennas outside, and stays up late listening to morse code.

Any attempt to engender respect by mentioning that I used to be a DJ/voice-over/production guy might not get too far, so I don't usually try :LOL:

My story varies depending on who I'm talking to. When people ask what you do, they're not all looking for the same kind of reply. Some folk want to know what your "thing" is - what it is you really like to do, others want to know about your career, while some are just curious about where you get your money from. If I can figure out what they're really wanting to know, then I can give them the answer they want.

I'm sure being retired engineer must be an ice breaker if a person who's asking is working engineer. I'm a structural engineer, aka working stiff so when someone say their occupation is an engineer, I always ask them what type. When I was a pup (such long time ago), I always thought engineers were locomotive engineers. Then after I started working in NYC, machine operators are called operating engineers, sewage treatment workers are called process engineer...etc.

Just "Engineer" covers a multitude of sins. I'm actually a retired Electrical Engineer. If I get into that I let people know it was in electronics but even that is nebulously general. At least they then know I wasn't doing household circuits (can barely change a light switch). There are so many specialties. In my career I did integrated circuit design, component production, semiconductor process design, software, then finished up with hardware/software (using FPGA's).

Generally I just say I'm retired and wait for the response -- which is most often to say "how nice for you".

In the town where I used to live there were lots of fairly intrusive questions, but I never blew them off because small town people love to get to talking about that new guy who never seems to go to work, and I did not want my door broken down. In information vacuum will get filled one way or another.

In the central city where I live now many people work odd hours or do non-standard things so usualy interest if any is just normal human interest in others. Also I am older, but very many people my age are working; I think it is the default assumption.

Ha

I've always had fun with that...I am a female in case you didn't know. Eyebrows still get raised, or some still ask if I was an gym teacher when I tell 'em my bachelor's degree is in Physics. :LOL:

I have a lot of MSEE courses completed, but not the degree. And 2 US patents. Close enough, eh? ;)

I dabbled in software design, coding & testing, laboratory data acquisition, fiberoptics, digital instrument system operation, signal processing, technical program management, image processing, yadda yadda yadda.

I think "Botanical Engineer" would apply now when I design the layout and trellis supports for my container gardening. :cool:

I've always had fun with that...I am a female in case you didn't know. Eyebrows still get raised, or some still ask if I was an gym teacher when I tell 'em my bachelor's degree is in Physics. :LOL:

I have a lot of MSEE courses completed, but not the degree. And 2 US patents. Close enough, eh? ;)

I dabbled in software design, coding & testing, laboratory data acquisition, fiberoptics, digital instrument system operation, signal processing, technical program management, image processing, yadda yadda yadda.

I think "Botanical Engineer" would apply now when I design the layout and trellis supports for my container gardening. :cool:

How about "Lifestyle Engineer"?

I have not found a need profess.

To borrow from a former poster---my post FIRE profession is Lazygood4nothingbum!! A profession that I excel at ;-)

Retired Engineer.

I am a retired engineer, but I never use the word engineer. Done with that! On my list of things I never want to do again which includes working full-time and wearing a tie, is being an engineer.:D

Aw!! These posts were so sweet, and I didn't see them until now. Thank you. I try. :flowers:

You made my day!

I agree, I always enjoy your posts and your wisdom.

To borrow from a former poster---my post FIRE profession is Lazygood4nothingbum!! A profession that I excel at ;-)

I usually say I'm retired, but when asked what I do all day I say I'm a writer. I like saying that. I have also been known to claim I am a trout bum.

Funny, I'm always telling people I'm retired. Even when I think I might get lectured about being too young or suffer some complaints about pensions. I never do. My DW on the other hand gets that stuff all the time when she tells people I'm retired. I'm all ready to defend myself, but never get the opportunity. DW says most people are intimidated by me. Me? I'm cute and cuddly!

...some still ask if I was an gym teacher when I tell 'em my bachelor's degree is in Physics. :LOL:

How about retired dabbler? Maybe Patent-holding Dabbler?
Dabbler - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

It seems you haven't retired from it though!

My Geologist friend tells me that retired Geologists prospect.
I asked him what retired engineers do (I am a retired engineer)? He said putter. I think he meant dabble.
I am not much of a putterer (is that a word?). He is still working by the way.

I'm a lumberjack!
At least while my health holds out I will tend our modest stand of trees.
Maybe I should post this in the back injury thread.

I asked him what retired engineers do (I am a retired engineer)?
[-]Recovering[/-] Retired engineers continue to optimize every system that they encounter, including its operator's technique & training, which is what makes them so endearingly special to their spouses and other loved ones...

[-]Recovering[/-] Retired engineers continue to optimize every system that they encounter, including its operator's technique & training, which is what makes them so endearingly special to their spouses and other loved ones...

Sadly, afraid so.

Darn it Nords, you just made me angsty about my ex-girlfriend again, heh. So true though, it totally is cute and endearing to observe.

Back
Top Bottom