What kind of car do you drive?

2000 Nissan who has been treating me well. Still has a few years left I'm sure.

2007 BMW 328i coupe with 85K miles. Just an entry level BMW but I love it and am glad I paid the extra $10K at the time. Am planning to retire in the next few years and one of my dilemmas is whether to work a few months longer and splurge on another nice car or just buy a Honda.

2009 Honda Fit Sport. My DH and I share it. Mostly it sits in the garage while we both ride our bikes to work, shopping, etc.

If it rains, I drive the car and he bikes to work. Says be doesn't mind at all. *Shrug*

I drive a 2009 Fit Sport too. Love it - it is perfect for my needs.

I drive a 2007 Acura TL Type S with 55,000 miles. DW drives a 2012 Mercedes C300.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

2011 Mazda 3 with the 2.5 bigger engine. Super fun car to drive, very quick, torquey, and handles well.

Biggest cons are that it has a rough suspension (though handles well), and average city MPG is only about 24, which for a 4 cylinder is not impressive at all. Although I suppose that's a result of the bigger engine.

It is very cheap to maintain, reliable, and an all around good city car to have.

2013 Nissan Murano. The top of the line model. We went looking for a Lexus 350, but after driving both we could not justify the extra $10,000 for it. The Nissan has every option you can think of, well one minus one that came out in the 2015, cooled seats. Might be nice in Texas summers. It is our first really upscale car i.e first with leather interior.

Do you like the CVT trans on the Murano:confused:

2005 Honda Pilot EXL bought new and still driving like it's new. Not a single maintenance issue and we have followed scheduled maintenance intervals so hope to have it another 5-10 years.

2013 Ford F150 FX4 V6 Ecoboost that pulls our 2013 26' Keystone Premier Bullet travel trailer, both bought in 2013.

The last car we got rid of was a 1998 Volvo, bought new, and donated with 198K miles on it when we retired.

Paid cash for all three current vehicles. Saved a long time for the Ford/trailer and bought when we retired as we new that camping/RV travel would be a big part of ER, and it has been great so far (RE'd June 2013). We have several groups of friends that we camp with in the summer, and then we ski together in the winter. Lot's of fun (skiing Winter Park, Co with friends tomorrow :) )!

All paid for.

Me usual daily driver = 1997 Ford Expedition 4x4, about 165K miles, owned for 16 years now
DW = 2008 Ford Edge AWD, about 116K miles, owned for 4 years now

Additional Vehicles:
1988 Ford F-250 4x4 diesel, only 132K miles
2006 F-650 pickup, only 47K miles
2008 Gulfstream Supernova Motorhome
1937-1968 = 6 other classic cars and trucks

Last edited:
1992 Toyota pick up
2001 Volvo
2007 Mercedes

Buy the $60K car and never look back. I am about to purchase a plane without any hesitation that far exceeds the price of those new Corvettes on another thread.

What kind of plane? How much do you fly?

I got my Private in 2006 and would love to buy something. I just don't fly enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I drive a 2003 Toyota Camry with 72,000 miles. DH drives a 2001 Toyota Corolla with about 120,000 miles. Both were bought used. Mine only had 32,000 on it when I bought it in 2005.

I love my car because it still feels "new" to me with it's fairly low mileage and everything still runs well. DH's car is starting to look it's age but he is retired and only uses it to get to thrift stores.

While I'm attached to my car and want to keep it as long as I can, it's just transportation to me. I'm pretty frugal by nature, so while I notice other people's new cars, I see them as what I'd shop for, used, in a few years.

My sister has a brand new Subaru Forester that I just love. When I need to replace my beloved Camry, I'll consider a 5 to 8 year old Subaru Forester.

To the OP, if you want a new car and have the money GO FOR IT and enjoy it! All of us used car buyers need people to be the first owner of our future cars.

Even if I was a billionaire like W2R and had the extra house in Paris, I'd still buy a used car. And I'd still be getting my Grey Poupon at Aldi.

2012 Ford Explorer
2013 Hyundai Veloster

I tend to favor newer cars since the safety features are so much better in the newer vehicles.

If I wanted to spend $60k for a car (or thereabouts) I would look at the Tesla.

I am in the camp of those who likes having a nice car and puts lots of thought and choice into what I have and have never regretted it. If you can afford 60k and the car will give you pleasure, then go for it. (note that if you don't it may be your ultimate heirs who get to buy the nice car)

1982-1985: 1977 Chevy Chevette (piece of junk)
1985-2010: 1980 Toyota Corolla Wagon (great car)
2010-2015: 2010 Honda Fit (great car)

My current Honda Fit (5 speed, base model) is perfect for my needs. It has a lot of cargo room (I can fit my bicycle in the back without removing any bike wheels), is nimble on the road, and gets over 42 mpg in city/suburban driving. I drive with a very light foot. My car currently has a little over 16K miles on it. Along with the Prius, Consumer Reports considers the Fit to be the car with the best value.

If I wanted to spend $60K on a car, I'd purchase a Honda Fit that has $53K cash in the glove box. Either that, or I'd find a 1980 Toyota Corolla that has been sitting in a warehouse for 35 years.

2012 Honda CRV EXL with all wheel drive and leather seats, perfect for road trips through the mountains. However, I did not splurge for the navigation system, opting for a Garmin instead. This is the most luxurious vehicle I have owned. I bought it new and financed it at 0.99%. In 7 more months it will be mine, all mine.

Me - 2013 F150 4x4 - 7000 miles purchased new for $20,400 (yes that is $20,400 brand new). Got it to pull out travel trailer around with.
Me- fun car 2000 Toyota Spyder convertible 122,000 miles. Purchased used with 97000 miles on it for $7,000
DH - 2010 Xterra 4x4 with 39,000 miles. Purchased new in 2010 for $21,000.

We have had over 100 cars in 36 years of marriage. A lot of them are project cars my DH fixes up and sales for a profit. Our new cars are always lost leaders and we have over 30% equity when we drive off the lot. The 2013 F150 is probably the best deal we ever got new. Stickered for $42,000 and we got for $20,400 plus tax of course)

Paid cash of course for all cars.

Last edited:
We are not expensive car people, though lately I sure enjoy looking at them. We have:

Highlander - 11 years old
Prius - 4 years old - WE LOVE THIS CAR

It's so much fun to see some of the cool cars members here enjoy!

Just ordinary stuff for us. Honda CR-V for me (my third one), and Toyota Prius for DW (her second one). We're perfectly happy with them.

The only car I ever felt serious lust for belonged to a guy I met in college back in the late 1960s. A Jaguar XK-E in British racing green. Wow! But he told me it burned a quart of oil every 100 miles, and I began having second thoughts!

I have a friend who is seriously into certain old cars. He became acquainted with a guy who owns dozens of extremely rare cars, and let me go with him one day to visit this guy's garage. I nearly wet myself when I walked in the door, because there were probably at least 50 cars in the building, and on average each was worth well over a million bucks.

They let me take some pictures, so here is just a tiny sample of what's in this guy's garage. Needless to say, I can't say where it is.

Attachments

• DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0019.jpg
    DSC_0019.jpg
    506.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_0024.jpg
    DSC_0024.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_0025.jpg
    DSC_0025.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 11
I drive a 2012 Rav4 XLE and just bought myself a 2004 Coachmen Leprechaun 30 ft long with 12,000 original miles and new tires.....happy, happy, happy. I'll use it for trips with the grandkids :)

2002 VW Bug - Turbo with Speed Chip - 6 Speed - Purchased Used
2006 Toyota Tundra - Single Cab - V6 (better MPG) - Purchased Used, Paid Cash

I am kinda proud of the fact that I have never spent more than 20k on a vehicle. I want to retire and I don't care if I never drive a new car again.

Me - 1993 Ford F-150
2007 Toyota Camry

DW - 2006 Lexus ES

I plan on selling the Camry shortly and just driving the F-150.

So last week we sold the Murano and bought a new 2015 VW GTI. We looked at lots of cars from tiny little things to big SUVs, but when we took the GTI out for a test drive, we simply loved driving it. It’s surprisingly spacious for a little hatchback. At 6’ 6” both my DS or I can actually sit in the back seat if need be. And with its 6-speed manual transmission, it *is* fun to drive.

DS is doing well learning to drive the manual...

Nice! Have a 2013 GTI here, also 6MT. It's the most fun yet refined car I could find under 30K. I drove probably 25 different cars and SUVs before settling on it.

Back
Top Bottom