Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-07-2015, 03:01 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
So you view a car like I view an appliance. I don't drive appliances, so I have a much different perspective. I get a lot of enjoyment out of fixing up, working on and driving my old cars, and want a newer car to be something I like. For me driving is not a necessity to get from point A to point B, it is part of the experience getting there. Not everything in life is a simple optimize the financial choice decision.
spot on

I grew up in the 70s driving a 71 merc comet gt to HS, then after college ended up with a 57 belair and 69 riv (needed both just in case..)

After driving the 02 WRX, I couldn't believe how much power it had and how well it handled so I ended up modding it quite a bit. With just some basic power mods, I was running mid 13s. It's unbelievable how much power these little engines can produce. Don't get me wrong, I love me some small block chevys but they just can't make this much power.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2015, 03:04 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
I suppose it's a secret that you are not allowed to share with outsiders?
What Your Car Says About You

Old 01-07-2015, 03:13 PM   #123
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Thanks, I'll try to commit these to memory so I know how I'm supposed to judge other drivers.

Was disappointed to see that my car is missing - must mean that I am a non-entity.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:20 PM   #124

yes, we have stereotypes for a reason...
Old 01-07-2015, 03:35 PM   #125

Quote:
All paid for.

Me usual daily driver = 1997 Ford Expedition 4x4, about 165K miles, owned for 16 years now
DW = 2008 Ford Edge AWD, about 116K miles, owned for 4 years now

Additional Vehicles:
1988 Ford F-250 4x4 diesel, only 132K miles
2006 F-650 pickup, only 47K miles
2008 Gulfstream Supernova Motorhome
1937-1968 = 6 other classic cars and trucks
Lots of nice vehicles in this thread. Cars don't excite me much anymore, but this truck does.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:40 PM   #126

^ Don't shortknock the Ford Edge!

Old 01-07-2015, 03:41 PM   #127

Quote:
1937-1968 = 6 other classic cars and trucks
I'm guessing you have a 38 with a big block...what are the others?
Old 01-07-2015, 04:06 PM   #128
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Hey, I always said a Miata was the most fun per dollar of any car! Had a 96, 99, then a 06. Followed that with a 08 Cayman S. Loved the Cayman but still have a soft spot for the Miatas. Gave up the sports car a year after retired so I could add more shop tools to the garage, but I do so covet one.
In 2006 when I bought my Solstice, it was about $2K less than a Miata- I wanted a modern, inexpensive, 2 seat roadster to replace a 1956 MGA that I spent more time towing than driving. I'm really happy with the Solstice but sure a Miata would have been great as well, especially since I only put about a 1000 miles per year on it. I may have to replace the tires next year just from age!
Old 01-07-2015, 04:09 PM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a Volvo holic with 4 Volvo's in the stable.

1993 850 with 250K
1995 850 with 380K
1997 960 with 160K. rear wheel drive
1998 S-70 T5 with 90K, stick shift, fun toy

I do about 90% of the maintenance on this cars and started driving Volvo's since 1989. The cars are like my kids!!!
Old 01-07-2015, 04:10 PM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

His and her white Toyota Rav 4's. One is 2010, the other 2011. Both bought used with 37K on each. Main reason for the Ravy: Cargo space is largest of the small SUV category, and it had to fit all of DH's drums. We liked the first one so much, we bought a second. High clearance and 4 WD helps get us to some trailheads located at the end of a knarly road. Plus the roof rack to haul the kayak (s).
If I were to spend 60K on a vehicle, it would be a V8 truck with a pop-up camper, preferably an Alaskan. But, hey, whatever floats your boat!
Old 01-07-2015, 05:21 PM   #131

I don't care what other people drive. I don't think your a spendthrift or frugal or cheap for what you drive. I figure you liked it or got a good deal. Why try to read anything into it?
Old 01-07-2015, 06:07 PM   #132

2011 BMW 335is convertible. I really love this car.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:54 PM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets

What just got me to ER (despite by first wife getting half what I had and my second wife not working) is wrenching my own noisy diesels like my current 91 VW Jetta (also VW Rabbit Diesel pickup and Mercedes 240D). They really saved me from burning up cars in the last 20 years of commuting , but It's time to get something a bit more sporting just to get groceries. I still hate new cars, but I am on the hunt for a SAAB 9-3 or BMW e34 or e39 stick.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Lots of nice vehicles in this thread. Cars don't excite me much anymore, but this truck does.
OK, I'll put a pic here, even though 99% of the members here will think it is wretched excess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I'm guessing you have a 38 with a big block...what are the others?
1937 Chevy Utility Coupe (from Australia, aka Ute), all stock orig
1937 Ford Utility Coupe (from Australia, aka Ute), hot rod
1938 Chevrolet 2 dr sedan, 454
1949 Ford COE, hot rod and very non-stock, my avatar pic is this truck
1952 GMC pickup, hot rod and my current project
1968 Pontiac GTO, owned for 35 years all orig

I also have future projects:
1955 Studebaker Coupe, land speed race car project, want to go 200+ mph eventually
1963 Dodge Town Wagon

If I am not at work, or working around the house I am usually in the garage
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LeftFront.jpg (204.4 KB, 17 views)

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:48 PM   #135
Dryer sheet wannabe

Me - "84 Fiero during warmer months 104K miles
DW - "99 Tahoe 165k & "04 Impala 180k
Old 01-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #136

http://media.motortopia.com/files/13...79d53/yugo.jpg
Old 01-08-2015, 06:05 PM   #137

2009 Nissan Versa, 1979 VW Super Beetle Cabriolet.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-08-2015, 07:13 PM   #138

What kind of car do you drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
The following is NOT meant to be inflammatory. But I hear people say this all the time and I really have no idea what is meant by it. I have a real (metaphorical) blind spot when it comes to people and their cars.

Does this mean that my view of myself is determined by the car I choose to drive? Or does it mean that others judge me based on the car I am driving?

I suppose that if it's the first then I see myself as frugal and practical. Others might see me as cheap.

Is this supposed to mean that I see someone who drives an expensive car as a spendthrift? How do they see themselves?

I really pay no attention to cars at all, except when it comes to cost and safety. There have always been other things that I would rather spend money on than cars.

Are there really people who think that a hunk of machinery defines who they are? OK, that is a bit rhetorical, but I REALLY don't get it! I can see that the vehicle you choose to drive reflects some (hopefully small) part of how you value things in the world, but, really, "you are what you drive?"

This is why I usually stay out of automobile threads...

So far, you're the only person to have brought that aspect of car ownership.

I have owned some cars out of necessity - such as a 91 station wagon I paid $650 for, or the 94 K car I was given because it needed more repairs than it was worth. These were my daily drivers. I also love driving cars. That means downshifting in the turns and having enough power to accelerate back out. Loved my 99 Z28 with M6 tranny which I bought new and modified. During times of stress the car came out of the garage and I tore up the back roads. Stress gone.

Don't really care what anyone else thinks about my selection of cars, nor do I care/pay attention to theirs. I buy what I either need, or what I want, at that particular time. Psychoanalysis neither needed nor wanted.

I already know I'm nuts. I can live with that...*grin*

And the label 'not meant to be inflammatory' does not make it less so. The fact you added a disclaimer only demonstrates you knew it would be inflammatory, but posted it anyway. It's kind of like saying, "Hey - I'm not trying to insult you, but I think you're stupid!"

Plus, it had nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-08-2015, 08:47 PM   #139
Dryer sheet aficionado

2011 Mustang GT and a 2015 Outback. The Ford is for summer fun and the 'Baroo is because I never want to shovel the driveway again.
"I've got some bad ideas in my head" (Travis Bickle) wrt future vehicles... Either a Mercedes turbo-diesel/Sprinter chassis RV, or a Nissan GT-R. Both overkill in their respective segments. Both totally unnecessary. And both are gobs of fun I'm sure.
Oddly, they both cost about the same too.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:57 PM   #140
Recycles dryer sheets

I am not retired yet, but I drive a 2002 Nissan Maxima. I LOVE that car. It has just over 110,000 miles, which is low, but I will be sad when I have to buy a new one. We have had no major issues or repairs other than the usual brakes, tires, maintenance. DH drives a 2012 Nissan Frontier. I would consider a Subaru Outback if/when I have to replace the Maxima.