What kind of car do you drive?

Hey, I always said a Miata was the most fun per dollar of any car! Had a 96, 99, then a 06. Followed that with a 08 Cayman S. Loved the Cayman but still have a soft spot for the Miatas. Gave up the sports car a year after retired so I could add more shop tools to the garage, but I do so covet one.

In 2006 when I bought my Solstice, it was about $2K less than a Miata- I wanted a modern, inexpensive, 2 seat roadster to replace a 1956 MGA that I spent more time towing than driving. I'm really happy with the Solstice but sure a Miata would have been great as well, especially since I only put about a 1000 miles per year on it. I may have to replace the tires next year just from age!

I am a Volvo holic with 4 Volvo's in the stable.

1993 850 with 250K
1995 850 with 380K
1997 960 with 160K. rear wheel drive
1998 S-70 T5 with 90K, stick shift, fun toy

I do about 90% of the maintenance on this cars and started driving Volvo's since 1989. The cars are like my kids!!!

His and her white Toyota Rav 4's. One is 2010, the other 2011. Both bought used with 37K on each. Main reason for the Ravy: Cargo space is largest of the small SUV category, and it had to fit all of DH's drums. We liked the first one so much, we bought a second. High clearance and 4 WD helps get us to some trailheads located at the end of a knarly road. Plus the roof rack to haul the kayak (s).
If I were to spend 60K on a vehicle, it would be a V8 truck with a pop-up camper, preferably an Alaskan. But, hey, whatever floats your boat!

I don't care what other people drive. I don't think your a spendthrift or frugal or cheap for what you drive. I figure you liked it or got a good deal. Why try to read anything into it?

What just got me to ER (despite by first wife getting half what I had and my second wife not working) is wrenching my own noisy diesels like my current 91 VW Jetta (also VW Rabbit Diesel pickup and Mercedes 240D). They really saved me from burning up cars in the last 20 years of commuting , but It's time to get something a bit more sporting just to get groceries. I still hate new cars, but I am on the hunt for a SAAB 9-3 or BMW e34 or e39 stick.

Lots of nice vehicles in this thread. Cars don't excite me much anymore, but this truck does.

OK, I'll put a pic here, even though 99% of the members here will think it is wretched excess.

I'm guessing you have a 38 with a big block...what are the others?

1937 Chevy Utility Coupe (from Australia, aka Ute), all stock orig
1937 Ford Utility Coupe (from Australia, aka Ute), hot rod
1938 Chevrolet 2 dr sedan, 454
1949 Ford COE, hot rod and very non-stock, my avatar pic is this truck
1952 GMC pickup, hot rod and my current project
1968 Pontiac GTO, owned for 35 years all orig

I also have future projects:
1955 Studebaker Coupe, land speed race car project, want to go 200+ mph eventually
1963 Dodge Town Wagon

If I am not at work, or working around the house I am usually in the garage :dance:

Attachments

• LeftFront.jpg
    LeftFront.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 17
2009 Nissan Versa, 1979 VW Super Beetle Cabriolet.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

The following is NOT meant to be inflammatory. But I hear people say this all the time and I really have no idea what is meant by it. I have a real (metaphorical) blind spot when it comes to people and their cars.

Does this mean that my view of myself is determined by the car I choose to drive? Or does it mean that others judge me based on the car I am driving?

I suppose that if it's the first then I see myself as frugal and practical. Others might see me as cheap.

Is this supposed to mean that I see someone who drives an expensive car as a spendthrift? How do they see themselves?

I really pay no attention to cars at all, except when it comes to cost and safety. There have always been other things that I would rather spend money on than cars.

Are there really people who think that a hunk of machinery defines who they are? OK, that is a bit rhetorical, but I REALLY don't get it! I can see that the vehicle you choose to drive reflects some (hopefully small) part of how you value things in the world, but, really, "you are what you drive?"

This is why I usually stay out of automobile threads... :confused:

So far, you're the only person to have brought that aspect of car ownership.

I have owned some cars out of necessity - such as a 91 station wagon I paid $650 for, or the 94 K car I was given because it needed more repairs than it was worth. These were my daily drivers. I also love driving cars. That means downshifting in the turns and having enough power to accelerate back out. Loved my 99 Z28 with M6 tranny which I bought new and modified. During times of stress the car came out of the garage and I tore up the back roads. Stress gone.

Don't really care what anyone else thinks about my selection of cars, nor do I care/pay attention to theirs. I buy what I either need, or what I want, at that particular time. Psychoanalysis neither needed nor wanted.

I already know I'm nuts. I can live with that...*grin*

And the label 'not meant to be inflammatory' does not make it less so. The fact you added a disclaimer only demonstrates you knew it would be inflammatory, but posted it anyway. It's kind of like saying, "Hey - I'm not trying to insult you, but I think you're stupid!"

Plus, it had nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

Last edited:
2011 Mustang GT and a 2015 Outback. The Ford is for summer fun and the 'Baroo is because I never want to shovel the driveway again.
"I've got some bad ideas in my head" (Travis Bickle) wrt future vehicles... Either a Mercedes turbo-diesel/Sprinter chassis RV, or a Nissan GT-R. Both overkill in their respective segments. Both totally unnecessary. And both are gobs of fun I'm sure.
Oddly, they both cost about the same too.

I am not retired yet, but I drive a 2002 Nissan Maxima. I LOVE that car. It has just over 110,000 miles, which is low, but I will be sad when I have to buy a new one. We have had no major issues or repairs other than the usual brakes, tires, maintenance. DH drives a 2012 Nissan Frontier. I would consider a Subaru Outback if/when I have to replace the Maxima.

Fun to mess with the peanut minds those who assign the driver's character, finances etc. based on their wheels.

Example
rustbucket winter beater pickup with non matching cap
or Jaguar
or suburban
or DW's Caddy

How did character and finaces or mental stability change if driven all four on the same day at different times?

IIRC Howard Hughes in his heyday drove some real beaters.
Oh and Barry Diller drives a Maserati.

Last edited:
Hey, I always said a Miata was the most fun per dollar of any car! Had a 96, 99, then a 06. Followed that with a 08 Cayman S. Loved the Cayman but still have a soft spot for the Miatas. Gave up the sports car a year after retired so I could add more shop tools to the garage, but I do so covet one.

I test drove a new Miata, but wound up with a used 2004 Audi TT in 2010. I was planning to move to the mountains and wanted 4wd. All the bells and whistles including turbo for $15000. Had 34k miles on it. It now has about 60k on it and is just a hoot to drive.

That's the same way I feel about the Versa S, with a 6 speed manual transmission. It's got a lot of spunk.

OK, I'll put a pic here, even though 99% of the members here will think it is wretched excess.

1937 Chevy Utility Coupe (from Australia, aka Ute), all stock orig
1937 Ford Utility Coupe (from Australia, aka Ute), hot rod
1938 Chevrolet 2 dr sedan, 454
1949 Ford COE, hot rod and very non-stock, my avatar pic is this truck
1952 GMC pickup, hot rod and my current project
1968 Pontiac GTO, owned for 35 years all orig

I also have future projects:
1955 Studebaker Coupe, land speed race car project, want to go 200+ mph eventually
1963 Dodge Town Wagon

If I am not at work, or working around the house I am usually in the garage :dance:

Thanks for posting a photo of the truck. Truly amazing.

Back
Top Bottom