Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-05-2015, 02:21 PM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

Me 1997 Acura Integra GS-R that's the new car
Wife 1991 Nissan Pathfinder

Both cars run great although my wife has made some noises about getting something newer with better gas mileage...but 20K buys a lot of gas
I'm going to need a new clutch soon I think but other than that I can see driving that car for another 10 years easy. Hopefully by then the self driving cars will be out
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2015, 02:42 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A 2011 Chevy Cruze, replacing a 2001 pickup that had 130k miles but had started to become unreliable when the water pump quit in the middle of now where in July in West Texas, and it took 2 hours for the tow truck to arrive. Since I live on the border of that part of west texas that has less than 2 people per square mile, I figure a trustworthy vehicle is needed when I travel west, so will buy a 2015 cruze once the supply improves.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:45 PM   #103

Me- 2011 Hyundai Sonata Turbo (unleaded gas) with 79K miles. Bought new drove 40 Miles to work each way and now that I'm retired around 12K/yr

DW- 2012 Mazda 6 with 35K miles. Bought new also
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

2005 BMW 545i
2011 Volvo XC-90

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:54 PM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
In 2009 I was eyeing a BMW Z4 (much below your $60k target) but then a gas crisis hit CA and I bought my Prius. I love the Prius. Now that I've been ER'd for 4 yrs I don't know what I was thinking when I looked at the BMW. A car as a status symbol means nothing to me now. Besides, I've got my motorcycle for my fun vehicle.
There's nothing like driving a BMW. I love mine even though it is 10 years old now. I never want to get rid of it!

Sent from my SM-T237P using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:09 AM   #106

2011 Honda CR-V EXL - no nav - only has 41K on it so it will be around for many more years
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:03 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
Mazda Miata, the most fun you can have in a new car for $25k
Hey, I always said a Miata was the most fun per dollar of any car! Had a 96, 99, then a 06. Followed that with a 08 Cayman S. Loved the Cayman but still have a soft spot for the Miatas. Gave up the sports car a year after retired so I could add more shop tools to the garage, but I do so covet one.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:23 AM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets

My car: 2014 GMC Sierra (owned by my megacorp) (over 25k miles per year)
DW car: 2013 Nissan Sentra (owned by her megacorp) (about 20k miles per year)

Our only owned car, 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ. It had a sticker of $55k, but we bought it at used at the end of 2008 for only $31k cash. For the last 5 years we've only averaged about 6k miles per year on our personal car.

Those luxury cars have a steep drop in the first couple of years. Usually anyone shopping in the top dollar range doesn't want to buy used.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #109
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Me - 2009 Forester XT LTD, lifted, upgraded exhaust, intake, turbo, tuned, puts down about 250hp at the wheels; it's the ski rig. Also have a 2011 Ford Ranger 4x4 and a 2008 EZGO RXV for the golf course

DW - 2013 Forester XT Touring
Old 01-07-2015, 10:49 AM   #110
Full time employment: Posting here.

OK, since this thread won't die...

DW drives a 2010 Elantra Touring (20K miles) that we bought for 2 reasons: 1) she can tell where the rear end of the car is, and 2) we can just squeeze our tandem bicycle into it.

I drive a 2002 Hyundai Elantra with 105K miles. I'm not sure why I keep it because we really only need one car. It may just be because I prefer driving a manual transmission.

Both bought new and we have no plans to buy anything else in the foreseeable future. At the rate we now drive, the newer car won't reach 100K miles until about the year 2030.

I'm glad that so many of you enjoy your cars, but I have never really understood that. To me a car has always been an unfortunate necessity in American life.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:50 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

"you are what you drive"
Old 01-07-2015, 11:29 AM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

Acura MDX 2014 - the newest model gets fantastic gas mileage for a luxury SUV!
Wishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:45 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
"you are what you drive"
The following is NOT meant to be inflammatory. But I hear people say this all the time and I really have no idea what is meant by it. I have a real (metaphorical) blind spot when it comes to people and their cars.

Does this mean that my view of myself is determined by the car I choose to drive? Or does it mean that others judge me based on the car I am driving?

I suppose that if it's the first then I see myself as frugal and practical. Others might see me as cheap.

Is this supposed to mean that I see someone who drives an expensive car as a spendthrift? How do they see themselves?

I really pay no attention to cars at all, except when it comes to cost and safety. There have always been other things that I would rather spend money on than cars.

Are there really people who think that a hunk of machinery defines who they are? OK, that is a bit rhetorical, but I REALLY don't get it! I can see that the vehicle you choose to drive reflects some (hopefully small) part of how you value things in the world, but, really, "you are what you drive?"

This is why I usually stay out of automobile threads...
Old 01-07-2015, 12:57 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
Does this mean that my view of myself is determined by the car I choose to drive? Or does it mean that others judge me based on the car I am driving?
Both; I'm a Subaru enthusiast
Old 01-07-2015, 01:36 PM   #115

Quote:
The following is NOT meant to be inflammatory. But I hear people say this all the time and I really have no idea what is meant by it. I have a real (metaphorical) blind spot when it comes to people and their cars.

I suppose that if it's the first then I see myself as frugal and practical. Others might see me as cheap.

Is this supposed to mean that I see someone who drives an expensive car as a spendthrift? How do they see themselves?

I really pay no attention to cars at all, except when it comes to cost and safety. There have always been other things that I would rather spend money on than cars.

Are there really people who think that a hunk of machinery defines who they are? OK, that is a bit rhetorical, but I REALLY don't get it! I can see that the vehicle you choose to drive reflects some (hopefully small) part of how you value things in the world, but, really, "you are what you drive?"

This is why I usually stay out of automobile threads...
So you view a car like I view an appliance. I don't drive appliances, so I have a much different perspective. I get a lot of enjoyment out of fixing up, working on and driving my old cars, and want a newer car to be something I like. For me driving is not a necessity to get from point A to point B, it is part of the experience getting there. Not everything in life is a simple optimize the financial choice decision.

It is fine you and I have vastly different views on this, just like others will spend thousands on high end audio equipment and I am fine with a simple setup. Or pick anything else. We live in a free country and can make choices what we all want and spend our money on.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #116

Quote:
Both; I'm a Subaru enthusiast
And this means nothing to me...

Do Subaru owners share a self-image of which I am unaware?
Old 01-07-2015, 01:47 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:51 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
So you view a car like I view an appliance. I don't drive appliances, so I have a much different perspective. I get a lot of enjoyment out of fixing up, working on and driving my old cars, and want a newer car to be something I like. For me driving is not a necessity to get from point A to point B, it is part of the experience getting there. Not everything in life is a simple optimize the financial choice decision.

It is fine you and I have vastly different views on this, just like others will spend thousands on high end audio equipment and I am fine with a simple setup. Or pick anything else. We live in a free country and can make choices what we all want and spend our money on.
Bingo! For me a car is just an expensive appliance. I also work on my own cars and I do get a sense of satisfaction out of the maintenance process and in diagnosing and fixing problems. When I lived in one of the big square states there were moments when I could see the point of view you express that driving can be an positive experience. But given that in Northern VA I can't drive one mile without seeing someone do something absolutely butt-stupid on the road, I am hard-pressed to view driving as anything but a chore that is devoid of any positive sensations.

I agree with you - I really try not to judge others on their choices of vehicles (or hobbies, I have a couple of expensive ones). It just surprises me when others judge me.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Do Subaru owners share a self-image of which I am unaware?
something like that....
Old 01-07-2015, 02:00 PM   #120

Quote:
something like that....
I suppose it's a secret that you are not allowed to share with outsiders?