What kind of car do you drive?

wren007

Confused about dryer sheets
Spouse is retired & I still work part time because I like what I do. We are 40 - 50 years old & have net worth over 25x our current annual spending, no debt. We LBYM. However, I would like a luxury vehicle for my next car (60k) & just have trouble justifying it. What do you think? Can't take this money with us either.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

2011 Subaru Forester.

Oh, and a 2007 Born Free class C motorhome.

Last edited:
2001 Porsche Carrera, purchased new. I usually spent 2/3 of my gross yearly pay, with about 13 years between new Porsches. I really enjoyed them when I was driving a lot, and doing time trials with the Porsche club. But now in retirement I drive about 2000 miles a year. I can't justify an expensive car for trips to the grocery store. No real plans to drive long distance. So I hope to keep this car until the self driving ones are cheap enough.

1992 Toyota pick up
2001 Volvo
2007 Mercedes

Buy the $60K car and never look back. I am about to purchase a plane without any hesitation that far exceeds the price of those new Corvettes on another thread.

Last edited:
2013 Nissan Murano. The top of the line model. We went looking for a Lexus 350, but after driving both we could not justify the extra $10,000 for it. The Nissan has every option you can think of, well one minus one that came out in the 2015, cooled seats. Might be nice in Texas summers. It is our first really upscale car i.e first with leather interior.

In 2009 I was eyeing a BMW Z4 (much below your $60k target) but then a gas crisis hit CA and I bought my Prius. I love the Prius. Now that I've been ER'd for 4 yrs I don't know what I was thinking when I looked at the BMW. A car as a status symbol means nothing to me now. Besides, I've got my motorcycle for my fun vehicle.

if you do not mind driving an older truck, my 07 Dodge 3/4 ton diesel has served me well. It has the 5.9 litre engine and is in high demand, since it is the last year the 5.9 was built and much more reliable than the 6.7 Say what you will but my truck and my Harley have a much higher resale value than what I considered buying at the time, a Toyota or another means of conveyance made from a foreign country...

2011 Lincoln MKS, fun car is 2012 Mini Cooper Convertible.

Me - 2008 Subaru Legacy GT with ~65k miles
DW - 2005 Chevrolet Colorado LS Crew Cab with ~112k miles

I drive a 2011 Chevy HHR, which I bought used (one previous owner) in 2011 with 13K miles on it. And I also drive a 'plain Jane' 2006 Dodge Dakota Pickup, which I bought used in 2012 with 42K miles on it (also one previous owner, who was an older gentleman who, and due to health issues, could no longer climb up into it).

The 2011 HHR replaced my 2006 HHR (which had also been a one owner low mileage trade-in). The Dakota doesn't have any frills.....not even power windows or power door-locks!

wren007-

I just purchased a used 2014 Audi SQ5 (11k mi). Cost 52k. Traded in 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was nice, just not sporty enough for me. I am a bit of a car lover having had 2 m3s, m5, 911 turbo, 911s, cayenne turbo. So the Jeep just wasn't doing it for me. I tried!

This is the one place I don't follow the Boglehead mentality. I always pay cash and try to buy them at good prices. But I also know my LBYM is plenty intact in spite of these purchases. I save about 70% income already so why not!

As someone recently posted, LBYM doesn't have to mean as miserly as possible. I enjoy them so it is worth it to me.

1998 Signature Town Car 112K mi. Bought 2000
1996 Cadillac SLS 72K mi. Bought 2006 w/35K miles, from an Estate for $5K

We live in senior communities, FL and IL and see great deals on newer low mileage cars, where someone has passed away, or gone into the nursing home. Something to consider, if you can find a connection. A neighbor passed away two months ago and the family sold the 2011 Lincoln MKS for $12,000. 4K miles, and fully loaded.

Have my eye on a 2010 Pontiac G6 w/ 7K mi. 90(Y/O) lady who likes hot cars. She'll outlive me, but if not, and she decides to sell... I've got a promise! :LOL:

2013 Lexus ES, 2014 Audi Q5. Both bought new (paid cash]. If you like the car, and its purchase is within your means, why not?

Never had any interest in fancy cars -

Me - 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid - 112k. Love the 38mpg. Bought used with 1,500 miles - 6k off of list
DW - 2012 Hyundai Elantra - bought new w/ cash but it was like $18k

Me- 2010 F150- about 65K miles
DW- 2011 Toyota Highlander- about 45K miles
Me again- 2007 Pontiac Solstice Roadster- about 7K miles

2003 Ford F350 XLT 7.3 PS Diesel. Purchased new, ~$40K. I use the truck for business, so it's a huge write off.

My next truck will also likely be a Ford F350 Diesel, also about 60K. I will likely upgrade the trim package to a Lariat.

I do have a personal vehicle, 2012 Honda Civic. Purchased new, ~$20K. It will go just as far as any $60K vehicle, at a fraction of the cost. And it's hard to make any money with it.

DW, 07 Nissan Altima, me a 08 Ford Fusion. Never interested in nice cars but motorcycles, a whole different story.

For us....

2007 BMW 650ci convertible with 35,000 miles.
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 55,000 miles.

Both were purchased with cash 2 years after manufacture year.

If I had 60K to spend on a car, I'd think seriously about buying a Tesla. There's a Federal tax credit of $7,500 and if you live in CA, CO, GA, IL, LA, MA or UT, a state incentive as well, which should get the cost of the Model S close to your budget of 60K.

2012 prius for wife bought new as demo.
2006 chevy 1500 with 32k miles bought new.

I like the chevy for hauling and making a buck, but for everyday driving I like the 8 or 10 fillup with these days gas prices on the prius. I can go to town, get groceries, haircut, whatever for a week for very little cost.

2003 Acura TL
2011 Winnebago Sightseer that's pushed by a 2011 Honda CRV

2004 Subaru Forester XT Premium 80K miles

Bought new for $30K. I really like it however if I could have a do-over i'd get the one without the turbo. I only get 20mpg and have to use premium unleaded. My next vehicle will likely be a 2-3 year old non-turbo Forester.

Sounds like OP is FI so see no reason not to buy the vehicle he wants.

Before we reached FI we had a 1998 Toyota Camry and a 2003 Nissan Murano. Both excellent family vehicles that service us well.

After reaching FI and RE-ing we upgraded.

In 2013 the Camry got rear-ended and was totaled. Last year the Murano started showing its age and started developing more expensive repair bills.

Now we have a 2014 Mercedes E250 Bluetec diesel - the perfect distance cruiser for trips. We’ve really been racking up the miles with it.

Between the time the Camry was crunched and when we picked up the Mercedes we were down to one car. That’s when we realized we were just not ready for life with only one car.

So last week we sold the Murano and bought a new 2015 VW GTI. We looked at lots of cars from tiny little things to big SUVs, but when we took the GTI out for a test drive, we simply loved driving it. It’s surprisingly spacious for a little hatchback. At 6’ 6” both my DS or I can actually sit in the back seat if need be. And with its 6-speed manual transmission, it *is* fun to drive.

DS is doing well learning to drive the manual...

Back
Top Bottom