Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-18-2015, 10:02 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use the All Clad stainless as others have detailed here.
There are times I miss my cast iron skillet but it doesn't work as well on my stove.
That said, not getting rid of them. Never know when my stove may change!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2015, 11:01 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

You all had me wondering....since I only cook rarely...and it happens on the barbie (Weber).

Looking in the kitchen cabinet, I see three old metal frying pans that are not ceramic, not cast iron, not expensive looking, and not Revere ware. They came along when DW and I married 16 years ago (2nd time for both). Apparently, we were both so poor that neither of us had any decent cookware. But I guess we didn't notice.

So now I have a good idea what to buy DW for Valentines day!

Old 01-18-2015, 11:47 PM   #63

I normally use the non-stick restaurant quality 10" fry pan I got at a garage sale for $3
I've used cast iron all my life, but they are heavy.
I still use the one that's over 90 yrs old, used my my grandmother and mother.

I see these wonderful quality things at garage sales and am amazed folks don't want them.
Of course I had to buy a wooden handled cast iron fry pan at another garage sale for $5 as it was just too nice to pass up.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:17 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Primarily Stainless - I got a small and large one at the local restaurant supply house. Walking around that place is almost as fun as a trip to Home Depot! :-)
Old 01-22-2015, 03:01 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I used cast iron when I was young but now that type of skillet is too heavy for me.

Right now I am using stainless steel Circulon skillets with a hard anodized finish.

Advantages:
- - Eggs and other dishes just slide off of them magically, nothing sticks
- - You can use metal utensils
- - They are oven safe to 400F
- - They earned Consumer Reports' highest score for cooking evenness
- - They have "W2R Approved" handles that won't burn your hand, feel comfortable in one's hand
- - They aren't insanely expensive
- - They are light enough for my 66-year-old wrists
- - Handles have rings on the end that make them easy to hang up on my pot rack

Disadvantages:
- - They can't be washed in the dishwasher! Food does just slide off so it isn't a big deal, but I still wash them by hand.
- - When you have perfectly good skillets with one little flaw like this, it's hard to persuade oneself to look for or buy something better without that flaw. It just seems, well, wrong!
W2R---I'm looking at the Circulon's, and they have all these raised circles in the bottom of the skillets. Does food ever stick in-between the grooves of the circles, and if it does, is it hard to get out? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:19 PM   #66
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll View Post
W2R---I'm looking at the Circulon's, and they have all these raised circles in the bottom of the skillets. Does food ever stick in-between the grooves of the circles, and if it does, is it hard to get out? Thanks in advance.
No, in fact those circles seem to somehow keep the food from sticking at all. That is what they are for. I usually lightly spray first with a little olive oil in a Misto sprayer, and so far nothing has ever stuck either on or in between the grooves. Things just slide off. But I still have to wash it, by hand, to get any olive oil or grease off.

(This is the misto sprayer, click on picture for link to misto on Amazon)

Another disadvantage that I forgot to include, is that you aren't supposed to use high heat. So, I turn the burner down a bit.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:56 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

For scrambled eggs and omelets which require gentle heat, I use Scan Pan or Swiss Diamond nonstick pans. For hash browns and other potatoes that require high heat, I like Lodge cast iron or Le Creuset enamel cast iron.

Cooking is one of my favorite past times.

In the heat of summer, I use my magnetic All-Clad pans and a portable induction cooktop to reduce the heat release into the kitchen.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:48 PM   #68

Since 1958... wedding present. RevereWare. Today 56 years later, just like the day we opened the package.
Now... DW likes Bobby Flay fry pans, but my favorite was the ceramic ? that we left in FL.

What next? Knives?
Old 01-25-2015, 09:33 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

For cooking that requires a non-stick pan, I like this 10" Bialetti saute pan that I got from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005PPP6SG/..._t3_B00448H23W

Price was reasonable, and mine has held up fine for over a year now.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:09 PM   #70

Wife prefers stainless steel. I've recently discovered a preference for cast iron. So we have both in our little kitchen... Mine relegated to an out of the way spot, since she cooks more frequently. It heats so evenly and maintains it so well!

We also keep one Teflon coated pan.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:46 AM   #71

What Consumer Reports said:
Picks and pans from our tests of 10-inch skillets

... or, you could choose from here:
http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/...ns/c30953.aspx
Old 01-26-2015, 04:17 AM   #72

we use ceramic
Old 02-02-2015, 07:37 PM   #73

For a great stainless steel made in America product, check out 360 Cookware. However, I must say that it's over the top for eggs and such. Also, good stainless is like cast iron - very heavy. I was checking out some of that Swiss Diamond cookware the other day, and I think for a small pan for eggs, I would check that out.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #74
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

An appropriate Woot today (63% off All-Clad set):
Home.Woot: Décor, cookware, bedding, & more
Old 02-04-2015, 07:31 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

I use cast iron Le Cruset
Old 02-05-2015, 07:35 AM   #76

We use Cuisinart Multiclad Pro cookware.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:51 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Picked up a non-stick frying pan from Aldi a couple of years ago for $13. No lid, but we have others that fit closely enough. Worlds ahead of the old Teflon pans of yore. Have used this one almost daily so it's been thru the dishwasher many dozens of times. Not a speck of flaking. We use our very old Griswold cast iron for fried spuds or anytime we feel like a little more iron in our diet. Our higher-end stainless steel pans are virtually unused these days.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:04 PM   #78

I got this 12" Lodge cast iron skillet from Amazon after only ever using non-stick. I considered either Lodge or All-Clad, but my frugal miser of a brain decided the $100 difference was better saved than spent, so Lodge won out. Then I negated my logic by spending half of that on the 7 quart dutch oven with a lid, so I could have a lid (and a giant dutch oven to make giant batches of chili and burrito fillings). The lid itself is like $30 alone.

I'm happy I got the 12" one, though we have a bit of a love/hate relationship. It weighs like 8 pounds. It takes a good 7-8 minutes to preheat with the coil electric stoves I've used. This thing is a beast. But it can hold so much more than the 10" skillets I had before, and it does everything except boil pasta.

I read so many complaints online about using cast iron for making eggs that I was really skeptical. They're supposed to stick like no one's business. I had that problem the first couple of times, then after that nothing. Maybe I just like to cook with more oil or butter than the people having issues.

The only time I have a problem is if I'm cooking meat and haven't let the pan get hot enough first. I'm tempted to get this infrared surface thermometer gun to make that less of a guessing game.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:25 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Wait...I use cast iron frying pans nearly every day on my glass top stove. Or whatever that stuff is called from the 80s...."Ceran"?

What is the problem I've been missing? Hmmmm.
Same here. I was happy to read your post to know I am not the only one ruining their stove top.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:39 PM   #80
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Allclad 10"&12" coated. Very nice, wouldn't spend the money again but I'm glad we have them every time I use them.