Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-06-2015, 09:58 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A Griswold cast iron pan my Grandmother and Mother used. It must be at least 100 years old. My Grandmother died 60 years ago.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2015, 10:11 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How old is this thread? Because I think my answer has changed.

I usually use a Le Creuset enamel cast iron pan. But if I'm searing something that might seriously stick (fish mainly), then the Lodge cast iron is the only way to go - also fried eggs. Things like pork chops and seared steaks do fine in the enamel coated Le Creuset, and I like to deglaze the pan to pick up any of those good bits left behind. I don't like to do pan sauces in the cast iron.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:07 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Allclad 10"&12" coated. Very nice, wouldn't spend the money again but I'm glad we have them every time I use them.
AllClad as well. Both coated and non coated. I WOULD spend the money again! Exceptional heat control for touchy recipes.

DW and I joke that when the non coated "goes" we're going to have a small burial ceremony in the yard, thanking it for helping feed us for so many, many years.

Having said that, I got a nice 9 inch coated mongrel brand for $12 at Ocean State Job Lot that I use for quick frying eggs etc. Pretty indestructible and does the job. When the coating does wear off, another $12 will put me back in business.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:44 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Cast iron Lodge skillet. Works great on top of stove and also in the oven.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:08 AM   #85

Scanpan, about 30 years old and still in great shape, comes with a lifetime warranty. Still have the steel cleaning pad that came with it.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:52 AM   #86
Full time employment: Posting here.

10" Wagner cast iron skillet that I trash-picked from a dumpster when I was in grad school. Love that thing.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:16 AM   #87

I bought a Cerastone pan last January. It was inexpensive and has a nice, slick finish. It's been my favorite since I bought it and so far it's holding up really well. It doesn't hurt that it's metal flake, candy apple red, either (it's available in blue and boring gray, too). I have an induction cooktop, so I have to use steel bottomed pans.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:37 AM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I usually use a Le Creuset enamel cast iron pan. But if I'm searing something that might seriously stick (fish mainly), then the Lodge cast iron is the only way to go - also fried eggs. Things like pork chops and seared steaks do fine in the enamel coated Le Creuset, and I like to deglaze the pan to pick up any of those good bits left behind. I don't like to do pan sauces in the cast iron.
Same here, bought a heavily discounted set of Le Creuset for DW a few years back, think I use it more than she does! Works great for stove top searing and oven finishing of all sorts of tasty critter flesh, and then capturing the drippings for au juice. Everyday use tends to be aluminum pans with non-stick coatings, but they require low heat and careful handling to not destroy the coating in short order.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #89

Allclad SS on gas stove. Works great and easy to clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-09-2015, 04:50 PM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

I currently use some AllClad-lookalikes (Kirkland!), stainless steel lined on an induction cooktop. These work very well. I have a nonstick coated 9" pan for the occasional omelette.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:51 AM   #91

Has anyone tried the Black Cube frying pan? Other sizes are shown on Amazon:
Old 10-17-2015, 07:12 AM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Scan pan from Sur Le Tab. Great non-stick pan.