Join Early Retirement Today

What kind of frying pan do you use?
Old 01-14-2015, 09:44 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What kind of frying pan do you use?

Greetings all -

As a newly retiree, I have more time for cooking now. I am a big breakfast guy. So with more time I can go from coffee and bagel to omelettes and fried eggs.

Was wondering - what kind of frying pan do you use and how well does it work?

Cast iron? Aluminum? Green pan? They all look great on infomercials but what about in real life?

Thanks. Bon Appetite

Kannon
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2015, 09:55 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have become a much better cook since ER because I have time to play with my food, so to speak. For omelettes I use a 10" stainless steel frying pan, part of this set:

Maze Cookware Polished Stainless Steel 11-Piece Set with Bonus - Gordon Ramsay by Royal Doulton | US

which I got for free with Air Miles. The key to preventing the omelette sticking to the pan is getting it to the right temperature before adding the oil. I found Jamie Oliver's video most helpful. He does use a nonstick pan, though!

Bon appetit!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:59 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Stainless steel. Works great. Used to use teflon but stopped about 10 yrs ago. Things sticking to the steel pan has not been an issue. Just used some of that spray on stuff and try to let the pan heat up a bit before use and don't dump something like eggs on a cold pan.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:00 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I use a non-stick pan, the black coating. Then I spray a mist of olive oil on it when heating it up.
Once its hot I put in the eggs (I don't super heat the pan as some non-stick give off bad fumes when overheated).
Clean up is very easy with a non-stick pan.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:22 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

My favorite is a cast iron griddle.... a holdover from our camping days cooking breakfast over a wood fire. Our propane stove has 4 burners (one in each corner) and a oblong center burner that is perfect for the griddle. I also sometimes use the griddle for breakfast on the propane gas grill in the summer.

DW's new favorite frying pan has a ceramic coating and it is growing on me but I'm not keen on it for eggs though.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:24 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Huge fan of big logo '30s era Griswold cast iron and have a fair assortment, but the pan that she uses most is a heavy as sin newer Lodge cast iron griddle.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:05 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

The kitchn is my favourite cooking blog. Here is their breakfast index:

Breakfast Recipes | The Kitchn
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:43 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I cook every day. (If I only had one pan) For most things I use a 10" All-Clad non stick pan.

For larger and/or higher temp cooking, an All-Clad stainless sauté pan.

And for some higher temp items, a basic cast iron Lodge skillet pan is ideal. After 40 years, it's still as good as new.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:08 AM   #9

Cast iron lodge skillet, properly seasoned is awesome!
Old 01-15-2015, 06:21 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I cook bacon and eggs about 5 times a week using a Calphalon non-stick. Get a heavy pan - they distribute the heat well. I prefer non-stick since no matter how hard I try I find the others a hassle to keep tempered. Also, toss in some butter with those eggs. I also have a couple of large All Clad stainless skillets that come out when I need more pan space. They are great but require more work. I usually heat them up very hot and then scrub the cooking surfaces with a little course salt and olive oil to get a non-stick finish.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:24 AM   #11

+2 on the Cast Iron Lodge. Didn't get mine until 5 years ago, and love it. We have a gas stove and find that and a Wok to meet most of our needs.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:35 AM   #12

I have several vintage le creuset skillets. Basically enameled cast iron - so the even heat of the cast iron and the non-stick of the enamel. We also have a very large cast iron - no idea if it's lodge brand - but it's awesome and that's what we cook bacon in, as well as pancakes. We also have a tiny cast iron (5" diam?) that is perfect for one person's eggs.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:45 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I have enameled cast iron grates on my Weber grill and love them in that they retain heat like cast iron but are non-stick like enameled grates. Never thought of porting that concept to a frying pan.... think I'll try that next time I need a new skillet.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:03 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Have several cast iron skillets of various sizes, and also a small aluminium non-stick skillet for eggs, used when no bacon is involved...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:03 AM   #15

+2 on the Cast Iron Lodge. Didn't get mine until 5 years ago, and love it. We have a gas stove and find that and a Wok to meet most of our needs.

+1 - Cast Iron Lodge griddle/pans. I would also recommend a cast iron wok. SIL showed us how to use it. It's simply a great way to cook and not just Asian food. He is the main cook (I'm the bottle washer) but when I do some cooking, especially frying, it is terrific. The amount of oil used is much less and the oil can drain back into the bottom of the wok while the food is resting on the side of the wok.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:19 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Can you use cast iron on flat top electric stoves? I think ours said not to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:15 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Nothing beats cast iron skillets. Unfortunately, my glass top electric stove doesn't allow for cast iron to be used. Our skillets are now reserved for baking cornbread.

We use Calphalon skillets now. Only problem is anodized skillets cannot go in the dishwasher. We also have a couple of teflon style skillets that we also use.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:34 AM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

Switched last year from Calphalon non-stick to O\the Ozeri Green Earth pans for everyday use. Absolutely love them.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:47 AM   #19

We have a set of 3 (8", 10", 12") hard anodized pans from Food Network. They are non-stick, don't know if it's a coating or if the hard anodized is inherently non-stick. They have been wonderful. Very even heat and wash up very easily. They say you can use metal utensils but we don't.

The rest of our cookware is Revere Ware, stainless steel with copper bottoms. The Revere Ware set came with 2 frying pans but I could never master those and replaced them with Teflon or T-Fal pans. Those never lasted too long.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:59 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Huge fan of big logo '30s era Griswold cast iron and have a fair assortment, but the pan that she uses most is a heavy as sin newer Lodge cast iron griddle.
I got DH a set of 4 Griswolds from the 1950s off e-Bay for Christmas in 2013. I did some research and they aren't as prized as the 1930s ones (apparently the quality went down when iron was needed to make weapons in WW 2) but better than the ones made after they merged with another company and still great for cooking. Bonus: Mom told me that my great-grandmother and her sister worked as servants in the Griswold household.

We use one or more of them daily and the cornbread DH makes in the larger pan is fantastic. We rarely buy each other presents, but when DH mentioned the story of his GF taking his cast-iron pans that he'd bought from the maker at a craft fair (he was out of the house when she removed "her" things after the breakup), a light bulb went off in my head. I'm so glad I found them easily and at a good price.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote