What makes your community feel like home?

jjquantz

Full time employment: Posting here.
Had a eureka moment, thanks to W2R, when reading the ongoing rural/small town thread.

Personally? I think possibly you'd be better off finding a place that genuinely feels like home, and then figuring out "workarounds" for whatever it lacks. No place is perfect, as you have pointed out.

I thought that this was incredibly insightful and I didn't want to hijack that thread so...

What is it that makes your COMMUNITY feel like home to you? How long did it take for you to settle in? What made you suspect this was the right place BEFORE you made it permanent?

DW and I have struggled with this during our entire 37+ years of marriage. We've always been very happy with each other, but we've never found a place that feels like home. I would love to hear others' thoughts.

I don't like driving, so for me a town that is walkable is very important. And it must have a Costco within 5 miles. Otherwise, I'm flexible.

I have lived in this metropolitan for more than 40 years, and in 3 different homes. Backyards have block fences around them, and people generally keep to themselves. Neighbors say hi when seeing each other, or nod when driving by. I saw and talked to my adjacent neighbors perhaps once every two weeks.

Up in my boondocks home, we talked with a neighbor down the road the other day. The last time was about 9 years ago.

Both feel like home. :)

I'd guess for many people a place that resembles where they spent formative and/or happiest years growing up will feel like home.

My community feels like home because of familiarity - I spent all but 2 of my 61+ years within 6 miles of my current house. Country feel yet an hour from Chicago.

Last edited:
You could move to where you lived in your formative years--" back home."

But the chances are the people you grew up with have either moved elsewhere or they didn't make the same life choices you made. Other than high school experiences, you may not have much in common with them any longer.

We've found that it's up to us personally to make where we live home. And of the 4 major cities we've lived in the last 48 years, we could feel comfortable liviing 2 of them. The other two have changed socially and economically dramatically.

This place really feels like home to me. DW and I will be celebrating our 10th anniversary this year.
We live in a +55 mobile home park. Our front porch, where I spend a lot of time, has the view of a 2,000 foot mountain a few miles away. I also watch the planes from our local airport, a half mile away.
We have great neighbors who help each other out, and it was sure better than living in that concrete canyon in the San Fernando Valley.

Most of the (very small group) of family members I actually want to spend time with live here.

Friends I made decades ago in college still live here.

Friends I made while volunteering/working/fostering in local animal rescue organizations live here.

Friends I made in local UU churches live here.

We sort of have two communities... summer and winter.

Our permanent summer home is in a lakeside community... I have been there 55 years on and off so know a lot of people and DW has been there on and off for 35 years so she knows a lot of people there as well. We are active members of the lake association and they have a number of social dinners over the course of the summer.

Our winter home is in a condo/villa community... we are new but a number of couples that we socialize with through the country club at home are also down here... part of the reason we ended up in this association was because we were constantly coming up here to have dinner, or drinks or play dominos or whatever so we just decided to settle in here. In addition we have met a number of great people who also live here... very welcoming folk.

We're quite happy with both of our communities.

We've lived in a city just outside of Los Angeles for close to 4 years. Many of the families from my kid's school has come and gone. We have 1 - 2 families we would visit with. A few nice friends from work, but just not the same and everyone is busy.

When in St Paul suburb, MN, we lived in a cul-da-sac for close to 10 years, kids would run in and out of the neighborhood homes and just hang out. Neighbors brought cookies or food as a welcome to the neighbor when we moved in. Family is 30 - 60 minutes away.

If things don't change in our condo or area, we might relocate after/at RE. The relocation would reduce our cost of living but not speed up RE.

Last edited:
We moved from So CA to the NE for a few years a long time ago for w*rk reasons. While living there, we decided we wanted to live in a warmer climate and started researching other places. Made a trip back to the So CA city we had left and had a strong emotional reaction. For us, the people, the climate, the diversity of activities available to us, the scenery, and the "live and let live" attitude all make it feel like home. Plus the city we live in has a lot of community events that make it feel like a Midwestern town. Moved back here 13 years ago and hope to stay here forever. Only reason we might leave someday is economics. CA keeps voting in measures that increase taxes. If they keep passing them at the rate that has occurred over the last 2 years, we may decide to move to a state that values fiscal responsibility.

For me, home is where my slippers are. Currently, it is a seaside district of 100K in a city of 11 million.

We don't like populated areas so small town under 5000 people. Had to have small hospital and or clinic and stores of necessities. Other then that you have to make yourself part of the people and their community.

Today I went to cabin from the small town I live and it is about 20 miles away. Mostly gravel and seen 3 vehicles going and come back. I stopped and hiked for an hour along the way and not a sole around. I like to walk out the door and be in nature not fight crowds or people.

Sushi Bars - Gotta have 'em, the more the better.
BBQ places - Yup, on the list.
Hardware Stores - I go there as often as the grocery.
Mexican - Taco Bell ain't it
Chinese - The more the merrier
Indian - That stuff will light you up
Low cost public trans - For when you can't drive anymore or to get your car fixed.
Dog Parks - You know
Vets - To take care of your dog
Bike paths - So you can peddle w/o getting run down
BevMo- For high class booze and caviar fast.

I'll think up more stuff later I'm sure - :)

Laid back and a slower pace. Not pretentious. Casual dress and an outdoorsy culture. More of a brew pub than a wine bar kind of town. A little gritty. A few people at the bus stop and they don't own a car. Different age groups, ethnic groups, and socioeconomic classes all shopping at the same grocery store. Live and let live attitude. An occasional protest sign. Not all chain stores and restaurants but mom and pop places too. Lots of Mexican, Thai, and Vietnamese restaurants but BBQ and home cooking would be good too. Neighborhoods where people take walks or walk their dog. Big blue sky, sunshine, and mountains.

Last edited:
Laid back folks who aren't trying to impress anyone by living beyond means. Very walkable/bikeable. No further than 10-15 min. to excellent healthcare. No further than 30-40 min. to a "major" airport. Low cost of living, affordable housing prices, and low property taxes. And no brutal winters.

Friends are scattered all over the country, so no pressure there. Teenage grandkids are within easy flight distance.

When we moved here 18 years ago our across the street neighbors came and introduced themselves. They loaned me a small refrigerator until I could buy one. I bought a refrigerator and washer and dryer the first week. Over the years we visited, partied, helped each other with snow shoveling and household projects. We watched them retire (early) and become grandparents, and watched their house several winters while they wintered in Florida. Last year they moved a few miles away. [emoji853] We also have had great next door neighbors for about 10 years.

Another thing. Moving from Silicon Valley to anywhere feels a lot like settling down and coming home. Mostly, it's friends and neighbors and relationships like that.

DW and I have struggled with this during our entire 37+ years of marriage. We've always been very happy with each other, but we've never found a place that feels like home. I would love to hear others' thoughts.

Could it be that you've never stayed in one place long enough to make it feel like home?

My city feels like home because it's the only place I've ever lived. So, in my case it's fairly obvious. But, other than the obvious, another big factor is that all my friends and most of my family lives here. They are part of what home means to me other than the geographical location. Possibly those who move around a lot are missing that factor in their lives.

Laid back folks who aren't trying to impress anyone by living beyond means. Very walkable/bikeable. No further than 10-15 min. to excellent healthcare. No further than 30-40 min. to a "major" airport. Low cost of living, affordable housing prices, and low property taxes. And no brutal winters.

Friends are scattered all over the country, so no pressure there. Teenage grandkids are within easy flight distance.
This is a tall order. Have you found it?

I have everything I want in my home of about 50 years, although divorce and moving to a condo changed the exact surroundings. Many people operate more on abstractions than on evidence. I have found it easier to make friends in my central city condo, or in the nearby apartment that I had prior to buying here than I did in the smaller town on the far outskirts of the city. I think part of it depends on who you are, and what you are like at base.

My widowed brother met and married a widow he met living in his apartment building in suburban Ft Worth. They are still happy years on.

Ha

I'm sure it varies by individual. For us, our biggest fear in relocation is having difficulty making new friends or becoming part of the new community. We can replicate everything else we'd want more easily.

We're both military brats, so we moved often, and made new friends easily. We relocated for career often when we were younger too, but work friends usually gave us a toe hold toward real friends. But I'm guessing the older we get, the more long standing friendships the natives in the new area will have already established, and the less open many will be to new friends - especially strangers from another state/culture. We may test the theory one day...

Last edited:
OMG I am so happy living where I do. Not a small town, but certainly not big (population about 30,000). We are in a suburb of NYC. A few of the local coffee/bagel shops and other local stores know me by name or face, and that's part of what makes me feel "at home." All of the things we like to do are nearby - county park for biking and running, close to NY State when we want to get away for a bit, close to NYC for the periodic Broadway show.....and a generally quiet town especially Monday to Friday.
Another small town feel for me is that about once very 2 weeks or so I'll be running on the streets and some driver that I know will honk hello to me.

Had a eureka moment, thanks to W2R, when reading the ongoing rural/small town thread.

Personally? I think possibly you'd be better off finding a place that genuinely feels like home, and then figuring out "workarounds" for whatever it lacks. No place is perfect, as you have pointed out.

I thought that this was incredibly insightful and I didn't want to hijack that thread so...

What is it that makes your COMMUNITY feel like home to you? How long did it take for you to settle in? What made you suspect this was the right place BEFORE you made it permanent?

Wow, thank you for all the compliments (probably undeserved, but thanks anyway, I really appreciate any compliments that come my way). :)

To me, what matters is how much I feel that I fit in and the local culture. I have moved around a lot and really don't fit in anywhere 100%, and from your posts on that other thread I got the impression the same is true for you. Of all the places I ever lived, I felt Hawaii was more my home than anyplace. But to be brutally honest, I can't afford to live there and still have a nice house and plenty of money to spend. At my age, I want a certain level of comfort.

I have found that New Orleans is surprisingly similar to the Honolulu I knew years ago. No, really. :LOL: Both are/were essentially big small towns with a lot of tourism, friendly people (to a point), and definitely not bland with fascinating multicultural intricacies, languages, and histories. I think there are some overall cultural analogies such as Southern Hospitality vs The Aloha Spirit, even though the South and Polynesia are different in some ways too. I feel more accepted as myself and more at home here than I have felt in some locations. I think these cultural similarities are important. I have lived here (or in Baton Rouge, not too far away) for 21 years by now.

I moved here for a job, so I didn't know what to expect. I settled in right away, because I unfortunately had to learn that skill with all the moving around I have had to do in my life. Making friends was my top priority for the first year and after that I had plenty. I will never be as accepted here as a native New Orleanian might be, but it's getting really close to that level of acceptance. The same was true in Honolulu. It's important to adapt to a new home rather than trying to bring your old home with you (mentally). Nobody wants to hear about how great your last location was. Anyway, I have made a project out of making this my home and have worked hard at it. Katrina was a real heartbreaker for somebody like me who has never had a real home and was trying so hard to establish one.

After Katrina, we used all of our vacation time visiting other locations to identify someplace else we could move to, and we felt Springfield, Missouri was our best second choice. We checked it out through many visits, and doing the sorts of things there we would be doing in our daily lives once we retired. He found that getting a haircut there was very helpful, as he interacted with local men in the barber shop and got lots of good tips. I liked going to a local gym and checking out their facilities. We visited the local college campuses, walked on the nature trails, went to real estate open houses and chatted at length with realtors and sellers, shopped in the supermarkets, and so on. Springfield is very Christian, and we are agnostic, but still we felt we could fit in because we have many of the same values and we'd rather have people around us who have those values too.

But anyway, once we could see substantial progress in the post-Katrina recovery here, we decided to stay after all.

New Orleans has a lot of flaws, of course. It is not nirvana. The worst from our point of view is the crime here. Our work-around is living in a very established neighborhood that is as low in crime as any we can afford. And then, like any "good Southern boy" he is well armed. If things get too bad in this neighborhood, we may some day have to move away. But we are in our 60's and all we need is another 20-30 years. We are hoping things stay reasonable in our neighborhood for that long.

Last edited:
I moved to Northern NV 20 years ago for a job. I met my DH who is a native. I love everything about it here. Great mild 4 seasons (except this year), good friends, beautiful area, lots of recreation, etc.

Thanks to everyone for their comments!

Music Lover, I think that you are onto something with our having moved around a fair amount and not settling in anywhere. DW and I have always had a bit of the "grass is greener" bug and I'm sure that hasn't helped us feel at home. We did have 15 years in a Midwest college town - that was probably the closest fit for me - I'll talk to DW about that tonight. I know that there are two negative factors that she will bring up: 1) It's COLD there in the winter, and 2) When I spent a year away from DW on a fellowship in DC, our "friends" in this town did not really step up and help DW deal with her feelings of isolation/loneliness with me gone. This caused DW to sour a bit on the relationships we thought we had. They are still our friends, but DW probably wouldn't consider them close.

Many of you mentioned relationships with neighbors and friends - that is something that really concerns the two of us. We are both quiet and introverted and find it difficult to "talk" our way into a community. But the feeling I get from almost all of you is that you have a feeling of "belonging" in the community where you live. It's not always friends - sometimes is just seems to be the vibe given off by the acquaintances/fellow inhabitants, somehow you have settled into places where you are comfortable. I think that I will try to identify which of our criteria are the ones that would lead to a feeling of "belonging" and try to separate those from the criteria that are more "things to do".

Thanks again for helping with the thought process.

Back
Top Bottom