What my life has become - heaven !!!!!

vickko

Dryer sheet aficionado
Just a short note to tell you what my life has become.

In a word, FANTASTIC !!!!

I don't have to get up early, but I do.

I look forward to studying and learning every day.

I take slow walks to the university along stunningly beautiful pathways, in the crisp fall air.

I also walk with my son and wife to my son's school, and chat with the school-yard parents.

I listen to lovely music in the university library, and use their computers, and go to fascinating lectures, both in and out of my area of study. Sometimes even get a free lunch !

And I'm exercising more again - so the aches are "good aches" of muscles that haven't been used.

Okay, so there is one fly in the ointment and that is watching my investments fluctuate. But eventually, they will fluctuate with a consistent increasing up-slop in value (all I need is 8% per year average).

Life outside w*rk is wonderful.

...Vick

Reactions: oma
I'm in a similar boat! >:D What's this about a free lunch? I still find plenty of stuff to complain about like there's not enough hours in the day and I get tired.

How long have you been free, Vickko? Tell us more.

...more details....

Last day of "w*rking for a company" was the end of June this summer, but my brain had checked out in February this year. I made a deal with my company to finish the project that I was on, and the schedule deadline was the middle of June.

Last day of severance payment was the end of August.

Now on fixed income, currently a declining income thanks to ABCP's.

Over the summer, I read a bunch of books to get myself ramped up on modern physics and was dismayed at how far behind I had fallen.

And the free lunches? Well, some of the public lectures have government and professional attendees and are at lunch hour, and have free lunch. Students also get the invitations.

Tomorrow's lecture is on how effective China's execution of the 2008 Olympics was, given by a prof. in the Poli-Sci faculty. No mention of free lunch; also it is at 3:00 pm.

...Vick

Congratulations! you sound very happy. :D

i will share a saying from my favorite card received at my send-off lunch...
"I don't want to and I don't have to"

that card is placed on my dressing mirror in my line of view so that i see it every time i wake up. aaaahhhhhhhhhhh

Who says there ain't no such thing as a free lunch ? I like how you find pleasure in the simple things that we take for granted.

I have a stack of novels that I'm going to start reading starting day #1 of retirement in 8 months.

Thanks for your uplifting post.

A Retirement State Of Mind?

Vikko,

I'm not exactly where you are yet, but much of the anxiety of the unknown is gone. My retirement was not exactly planned but it is working out pretty well. My life has settled down from the transition and I'm figuring out everything. I hope to be where you are very soon. Thanks for the insight into your world.

Luis

I have been retired for 5 years and reading has been one of my greatest pleasures as well. Like Vikko I like the heavy duty science books, since I was educated and practiced engineering my "productive" life - so science is in my blood. However, I also enjoy reading autobiographies, from Malcom X to Alan Greenspan.

It would be nice to live near a university as well. That would be a major consideration if I contemplate a move - still plenty of time for that.

Very kool Vick - I had a similar experience. Then an amazing job at a university dropped in my lap. Have fun and keep your eye's open for new expereinces - their everywhere and enjoy that feeling and flexibility to say - SeeYa - when some gives you a hard time.

Back
Top Bottom