Join Early Retirement Today

What New Mattress
Old 06-18-2019, 04:25 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What New Mattress

We expect to change to a king bed sometime this year. From what I have read, the best choice for a mattress may be one of the online ones, like Casper, Leesa, or Tuft & Needle. I am reluctant to get one that I have not tried. There do not seem to be any to demo where I live. How have people done with these?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2019, 04:54 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

You won’t find many of the online only mattresses anywhere you can test drive. It appears they rely on long trial periods of 100-120 days, free (or $99) returns and very competitive prices. I read the return rate is 7% for online mattresses vs 2.5% for brick-n-mortar. We just ordered a Saatva, our first online mattress.

Several/many here have had good experiences with various online brands http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...nly-98047.html

There are also many mattress review channels on YouTube as you probably know like https://youtu.be/vcMZVRaPfFU and https://youtu.be/pqmOODOEoVQ to help guide you on firmness, motion transfer, temperature, sink, etc. and what’s best for side, back and stomach sleepers or heavy vs light sleepers. I found them helpful.

Best of luck.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:18 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Buying a mattress is a royal pain in the neck with the same mattresses having different labels/ticking from different stores with different pricing. Testing on a mattress is pretty useless. It takes several weeks (at least) to "test drive" a mattress to know if it will give you a restful night sleep. By then you have already spent the money. It's a crap shoot.
After going through a few mattress over the years I finally opted for a king size, thick (14"), latex mattress with memory foam top purchased at Costco since I could always return it. Used the memory foam side for a couple of years then flipped it over to try just the latex side for more firmness. It isn't perfect but I liked it better that way. About 8-9 years so far and no change/sagging etc. All previous spring mattresses changed and dagger in a couple of years.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:49 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

My wife had to get an adjustable bed due to having a reflux problem, and we found the least expensive bed at BedInABox.com. Their memory foam mattresses are also superior, and a conventional mattress won't work on the adjustable bed. Even though she's had surgery for her problem, she still loves sleeping with her shoulders slightly elevated. Others with high quality memory foam mattresses seem to like them.

I just prefer a pillowtop Beautyrest with a thick mattress topper. Good enough for me.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We just ordered a Saatva, our first online mattress.
Have you received the mattress yet? If so, do you like it and, how was the delivery experience? We have a mattress and box spring combination currently. I’m assuming the box spring stays as the foundation. Do you know if that’s a good assumption?
Old 06-18-2019, 05:55 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

We have a good memory foam - like it a lot.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:26 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Very happy with Tuft and Needle. I have 2 and all three grown kids have them and love them. Jmho
Old 06-18-2019, 07:20 AM   #8

We have a sleep number bed. It has pros and cons, just like everything else in life.

Before we bought it, we found a hotel that had them in at least a few of the guest rooms. Don't recall which hotel it was. We did a mini-vacation mainly to spend a night or two at the hotel to give the bed a try. The ability to give the bed a real test for a couple of nights was very helpful.
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:24 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Clark View Post
We have a sleep number bed. It has pros and cons, just like everything else in life.

Before we bought it, we found a hotel that had them in at least a few of the guest rooms. Don't recall which hotel it was. We did a mini-vacation mainly to spend a night or two at the hotel to give the bed a try. The ability to give the bed a real test for a couple of nights was very helpful.
The OP asked about online mattress companies, isn’t Sleep Number primarily brick-n-mortar?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:39 AM   #10

Mostly / all-foam mattresses (which far as I know is what the online sellers are selling), did not work for us - they don't in our experience have anywhere near the support of a "traditional" (spring) mattress and actual spring (not just wood platform) box spring..

We bought and returned multiple mattresses over the course of about 18 months trying to find something that wouldn't kill our backs, including several that were mostly or all foam - even Latex which is supposed to be one of the better material options.

I know a lot of people like and are OK with the mostly/all-foam mattresses, but you might want to compare against traditional mattresses also. Those are unfortunately getting really hard to find.

A great resource for mattress info including independent reviews and discussion forums is http://www.mattressunderground.com. I just did a quick search and there were quite a few hits on the online mattress companies. We actually learned on this site to go to a small independent manufacturer and LOVE our mattress - it's the old style, flippable that are rare as a purple unicorn nowadays. Have had it for 10+ years and it's still going strong with no indents or other issues.

Good luck..one of the toughest things ever to buy.
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 08:42 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

We had a water bed and eventually it leaked. the mattress size was between a queen and a king. We ended up having a local company custom make the mattress and opted for xtra springs, especially around the edges. Cost was similar to $1200 mattress but much sturdier. That was 20 years ago, still use the mattress every night.
workmyfingerstothebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:03 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

No sleep number has a few stores but much more online. They deliver it to your house. We have a King for the past 14 years. They have a 20 year depreciating warranty. The pump went out at year 7 and they sent us a new one for 77. People that buy queen don’t like them. My guess is because each person adjusts their own side for firmness and that isn’t enough space.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:05 AM   #13

If you're not familiar with sleeping on foam you should be aware that foam is warmer than conventional mattresses. You might find yoruself turning down the thermostat to compensate.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:12 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

We got the Purple mattress after buying and returning (with no issues) another online brand.

I could sleep on anything but DW is chemically sensitive and a mattress purchase is one of the most frightening she can make. Can't do foam or latex.

Has worked out really well. I think she was sleeping on it after it out-gassed for a week.

And it is the most comfortable mattress I have experienced. Highly recommend.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:02 AM   #15

Bought this one off Amazon about a month ago. Hybrid of inner spring and memory foam with gel. Ridiculously cheap for what it is.

https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Gel-Inf...ay&sr=8-3&th=1

Pretty happy so far. It is our first memory foam mattress and will echo the sentiment that it sleeps hotter.

Was a little leary about getting an internet mattress too. But for 300 odd bucks it was a worthy gamble (that turned out).
Old 06-18-2019, 11:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
If you're not familiar with sleeping on foam you should be aware that foam is warmer than conventional mattresses. You might find yoruself turning down the thermostat to compensate.
When we switched from a conventional mattress to a Sleep Number almost 2 years ago, I found this to be true the first several weeks. Then my body seemed to 'adjust' and I now find no difference between the foam and regular mattresses.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Have you received the mattress yet? If so, do you like it and, how was the delivery experience? We have a mattress and box spring combination currently. I’m assuming the box spring stays as the foundation. Do you know if that’s a good assumption?

I've had a Saatva mattress "Plush Soft- Cal King" for about two years now and very happy with it. A solid foundation is needed, I built one on my bed using plywood over the slats. An existing box spring foundation should serve the same purpose. No issues with delivery, they come and set it up on your bed and believe they will take away the old one if you want (I kept mine).
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
+1. We have a foam topper on top of a $1200 Euro Pillowtop. Although we stored it straight up for a year and feel that screwed up the springs. It's got it's use over 10 years old and we are ready for a new one. Flipping is only a temp fix now.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:15 PM   #19

We have had a tuff and needles for about three years. I like a pillow top, so we added a topper to it. We are happy with it.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:07 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

We bought Amerisleep. Couldn't be happier.
COZICAN is offline   Reply With Quote