Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I also forgot to mention Aliso Viejo. These cities mentioned, I'm sure they don't have gangs problem. Other areas inland, there might be some pockets of gangs, I remember reading them online.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
For example, I found this one sold in April for close to $500K for 3 bedroom. Beacon Hill is closer to the beach, within walking distance. The area is slightly older but this house looks gorgeous inside.
16 Sudbury Pl #72, Laguna Niguel, CA 92677 | MLS# OC14030358 | Redfin
Yes, I agree that looks really nice. We'd be happy in a place that size - big enough if one or both kids boomerang but not too big for two to take care of. If we could walk to the beach that would be an amazing price compared to what it would cost here for a location like that.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #43

That place is definitely closer to the beach, walkable. I used to live in Marina Hills area of Laguna Niguel, a little bit farther inland than Beacon Hill and was able to walk to the beach back and forth when I was pregnant with my first child. I think it was about 1-2 miles from the beach from Marina Hills. Beacon Hill is definitely much closer. There are other areas in Laguna Niguel that is also cheaper, plenty in Aliso Viejo. Aliso Viejo has really nice regional park where it feels like walking in the woods.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Yes, I agree that looks really nice. We'd be happy in a place that size - big enough if one or both kids boomerang but not too big for two to take care of. If we could walk to the beach that would be an amazing price compared to what it would cost here for a location like that.

Are you pretty sure you'd be okay sharing walls and being that close to neighbors?
Old 07-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeRetired View Post
Are you pretty sure you'd be okay sharing walls and being that close to neighbors?
We both agree we don't want a big house and yard to take care of any more. We want a low maintenance lock and go condo or townhouse so we can travel or work on the hobby businesses. Our current house is a time and money pit.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #46

One thing to be wary of is how the HOA is run, whether it has reserves for roof and common area replacement, how recent major work was done, etc.

And the fee creep, going up every year.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #47

HOA does not always go up, I know for one community it stayed the same for 25 years. I thought daylatedollarshort was looking at Laguna Woods which is probably condo for 55+.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
HOA does not always go up, I know for one community it stayed the same for 25 years. I thought daylatedollarshort was looking at Laguna Woods which is probably condo for 55+.
LW sounds nice and the prices are attractive but probably can't work out for us for at least several years into the future with still having college / boomerang age kids.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #49

If somebody tried to send me a pm, I can't see, I'm afraid to download any software. I apologize for not been able to respond.

I used to drive by the LW area, the area is nice but I think the LN, AV area are quite nice. I'll look up some other area for reasonably price, maybe not condo to see if I can find something reasonable.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:59 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Condo/townhome living is such a gamble to me. You could live next to or under a nice, quiet elderly lady or you could get a family with 4-kids who are all musicians who have no regard for how their noise impacts neighbors.

If it were me, I think I'd prefer to live more inland in a single-family home and drive to the beach instead.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:22 PM   #51

This is close to where we used to live, downside is the HOA.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Laguna-Nig...7/home/5388109

This is the Bear Brand area, a bit newer and closer to the ocean. Some houses in this neighborhood are facing the ocean.
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Laguna-Nigu...7/home/5387014

This is in much older neighborhood, no HOA
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Laguna-Nigu...7/home/4879459

This is also much older neighborhood, more of middle class
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Laguna-Nigu...7/home/4880266

Aliso Viejo, neighboring city, I don't know it as well as Laguna Niguel, but more affordable houses
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Aliso-Viejo...6/home/5612530

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Aliso-Viejo/7-Songbird-Ln-92656/home/4851650
Old 07-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeRetired View Post
Condo/townhome living is such a gamble to me. You could live next to or under a nice, quiet elderly lady or you could get a family with 4-kids who are all musicians who have no regard for how their noise impacts neighbors.

If it were me, I think I'd prefer to live more inland in a single-family home and drive to the beach instead.
There are always going to be pros and cons to condos vs single family homes. You just have to do whatever fits your lifestyle the best. We're looking forward to having more free time, realizing there may be some trade offs. Between garage bands and barking dogs, SFH aren't always noise free either.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I recently spent a month staying in the LaJolla and surrounding areas due to a project for work. I tried several different hotels in different areas to scout out potential retirement destinations. As a few others mentioned, I think there are communities just north of LaJolla that certainly had a more laid back feel. I did not price real estate though, just scouted out areas where you could bike to the beach without paying really big bucks to have the view. I think Solana Beach, Encinitas and Cardiff are all places to check out.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:44 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have you looked in and around Santa Barbara? Personally, I'm tired of the mainstream areas here...too many crowds, hectic lifestyle, traffic, road-rages etc. To me the central coast would be a nice area to live in especially in or near retirement. 2hrs from either SF or LA, not to mention the beautiful Sierras in the east etc.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Santa Barbara is really nice and laid back. I think you will pay more and get a less nice place (vs. SD) and SB is pretty tiny. The latter could be a pro or con depending on what you want.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:21 PM   #56

Santa Barbara is small, isolated, and rich and a lot of doctors don't take Medicare. Primary care is available, but specialty care isn't. It's a long way from LAX and the real estate is sky high, but it is gorgeous. We're visiting next week. Couldn't live there, though.

Right now there are several condos in Point Loma(nearly as nice as LJ) with bay views in the upper $500s. They're smallish. Pick a budget and find the balance point between size and proximity to water/downtown.

Our HOA is $35/quarter. They actually manage to take care of the greenstrips quite well on that amount. I still wish that I could talk DH into a lock and go condo.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

The traffic here can be wall to wall cars on the freeways or main streets during rush hours but not 10 - 2pm or after 7pm weekdays so we just do our errands and day trips then. Maybe LA or SD is worse, but here the traffic is not bad if you don't have to drive during commute hours. I guess that part we will have to test out for ourselves.

I haven't been to SB. SLO is nice to visit but we are probably more used to a living in bigger cities. I think a walkable area in an urban environment would probably suit us best.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:18 PM   #58

I don't know them well, but Camarillo and Ventura might be worth a thought.

Right now in Solana Beach the sun is out, there is an off-shore breeze, it's 75 degrees and it's raining. It's delightful.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
I don't know them well, but Camarillo and Ventura might be worth a thought.

Right now in Solana Beach the sun is out, there is an off-shore breeze, it's 75 degrees and it's raining. It's delightful.
Sounds like perfect weather. We're looking forward to our next house hunting trip and will be sure to check out Ventura as well. DH thought there might be more hiking up that way. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:31 PM   #60

It would put you close to the central coast for hiking and such, but with a not unreasonable drive to LAX or Long Beach.