What really matters in retirement

Yep, that stuff is timeless. I was walking my dog in the
woods yesterday and bumped into a guy walking by
himself. We stopped and chatted for about 20 minutes.
He had been laid off on his 62nd birthday and had been
drawing unemploymeny all winter. Although he had
recently taken up bowhunting, he was still bored and
unsure what to do next. I explained that I was lucky
in that I went from total workaholism to a lazy
slug almost overnight. I am sure my reaction to
being unemployed is quite unusual. Anyway, I agree
that factors other than how much money you have
are much more important in determining your ER
happiness. However, I did not find the suicide
stats for older people surprising at all. Life can be
tough enough when you are young. It doesn't surprise me that the elderly take their own lives more often when
overwhelmed with health and/or other problems.

John Galt

Nords,

Good article! - Thanks for posting it!

That is one of the reasons that will keep us from moving to warmer climate. All of our friends and family are here. Our favorite resturants and hang outs - Where everyone knows your name. It's hard to rebuild relationships that have taken over 30 years to build. It's called Roots - and a lot of folks take that aspect for granted.

If I want to go somewhere warm during our winter here, well either hop a plane or get in the car. Weather is easy to come by, friends are not.

If I want to go somewhere warm during our winter here, well either hop a plane or get in the car. Weather is easy to come by, friends are not.

Amen, Brother Cut-Throat! In my case, it helps that I am already in a pretty nice place, and I have kids that have local careers. Still, I think any place that would have been ok for me to spend my working life in, is definitely OK to spend a retirement in.

I suppose if a couple were very inward looking, they might feel more inclined to take off. Likewise a single man especially might remarry or find connection through a woman in some third world country.

But for me, although there are many attractive places, I think they will be the sauce, not the meat.

Mikey

Ralph Warner is right, but what he fails to address is that work itself is a detriment to one's social life. First, you are locked into working with the same folks 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. This circle does not grow or change much. Also, the fact that they are your co-workers puts a limit on how deep the friendship can be. For instance, a co-worker and I used to go out for drinks. One time he got very drunk and then got mean and angry at the world. I wasn't offended because his diatribe was not directed at me, but he felt embarassed, so after that we stopped going out to the bars.

Another thing with work is that workaholics get all of the respect and thus dictate the terms that everyone else must adhere. I used to race bicycles, and it was a very fulfilling hobby. I got the exercise, the discipline, the friendships, and the competition I needed, but because bicycle racing is dangerous, I used to crash 4-5 times a summer, and after which I'd be out of commission for a couple of days. Road rash tends to put a crimp on your sleep schedule. Every time I'd fall asleep, I'd forget and roll under the road rash and wake up in pain. My boss finally told me that I would have to stop racing until the project is over. The project went on for 18 months without being "over". After that, I was so out of shape, I couldn't even ride 20 miles. I used to ride that much just get to the start of an 80 mile training ride. The friendships I built up through racing also fell by the way side.

Not only is your work detrimental to your social life, but your family, relatives, and acquitances also have to work their butts off, so that leaves precious little time for social gatherings. It's the American way, and as long as the health of our economy is measured in GDP growth and nothing else, work will always take center stage.

It will take a sea change in American culture before people can implement Ralph Waner's wisdom. Until then, those who try will always be looked upon as slackers.

Another thing with work is that workaholics get all of the respect and thus dictate the terms that everyone else must adhere.

AMEN.

There's always pressure to work more, work longer, and that pressures everyone else, etc. It's insane.

Silly thing from my old company: they loved to hire kids right out of college because they'd work 80 hours a week without question to prove themselves and "move up the ladder".

To be fair, one of my best hires was a fella that my boss all but forced on me, right out of school. We're still friends to this day, and he never gave me less than a full days work that someone could be proud of. He also recommended two of his school mates and the two of them were great hires to boot.

However, we jettisoned a fair number of older folks that werent "keeping up" or "putting in the hours'. Most of those guys could spend all day with their feet up on the desks and snoring, and in 15 minutes of evaluation tell me if a plan was workable or what the key item to make happen or avoid in a 2 year program might be.

His "harder working" replacements would just have put in the 9 months to come to the same conclusion.

Needless to say, I had a mix of the "hard working" younger folks and I also had a handful of old farts on my staff when I left. About six months after I was gone, all of the "old farts" were put "into the pool" to find new jobs or get laid off. I called my old HR rep and told her they just laid off absolutely everyone in my department that was over 50 on the same day. I think she left skid marks on her cubicle rug after she hung up the phone...

Last I checked they were all still gainfully employed there...

Politics and short term thinking over strategic planning. *sigh*

Silly thing from my old company: they loved to hire kids right out of college because they'd work 80 hours a week without question to prove themselves and "move up the ladder".

That was me out of school. I didn't even get paid a lot - got a pitiful bonus despite pulling 70+ hour weeks for a year.

Last I heard, the head slavedriver screwed up a major project (one many of you have heard of) and was given his walking papers. That made my day.

Poetic justice. In my case the primary slave driver was eventually made a vice president. The guy that held long pointless meetings and did extensive 'strategic planning' on one of our biggest programs that resulted in it finishing in 3 years, seven months. Bear in mind that we had a "plan b" that resulted in accomplishing our objective in roughly 3 years with no additional effort whatsoever. The programs acronym became a standard name for any perceived cluster%#$%.

Mighty fine shine on that turd...;)

I never held a meeting unless absolutely necessary.
However I was a tough boss, in every aspect.
Over my long career I had 2 business mentors, both
long since deceased. Recently, a guy I hired back in
1991 said I was his mentor. It made me feel pretty
good, I can tell you that.

John Galt

I was an engineering branch manager in a high
tech company when I retired. A few years
after I retired, one of my section managers
had risen to department manager. He called
me out of the blue one day and wanted me to
return as his personal consultant to help sort
out the B.S. Needless to say, I was flattered but
turned him down. It would have been an impossible
task to shift back out of ER mode. Besides that, I
was rusty and my brain had ossified.

Cheers,

Charlie (aka Chuck-Lyn)

Hello! I got "the call" about 4 months after I had semiretired. They made me a "Godfather" offer that
I couldn't refuse and so I went back for 4 years, until
June, 1998. Worked out fine for me.

BTW Chuck-Lyn, how is your brother Upton? :)

John Galt

John Galt,

OK, I will bite ....... Upton who?

I told you my brain has ossified.

Cheers,

Charlie (aka Chuck-Lyn)

Hello CHUCK-LYN! Your brother, Upton. Remember
when you were having trouble signing on as
CHUCK-LYN, I suggested you use your brother's
name instead, thus making you UP-CHUCK. Don't
feel too badly, my brother has forgotten me too :)

John Galt

Back
Top Bottom