What song did (or will) you leave with?

At my funeral, "The End" by the Beatles.

Hopefully including the jam! The part that begins with "Oh yeah! All right! Are you gonna be in my dreams tonight?". I remember when that came out, I was 11 or 12 at the time but paid attention to music. I thought the Beatles were answering the popular stuff then by saying "here's how it's done, boys". I think a lot of people identify with one of the parts (guitar, drums, bass) on that jam. I know I do, but it'd be fun to hear others' preferences without me gabbing on.

Last edited:
Hopefully including the jam! The part that begins with "Oh yeah! All right! Are you gonna be in my dreams tonight?". I remember when that came out, I was 11 or 12 at the time but paid attention to music. I thought the Beatles were answering the popular stuff then by saying "here's how it's done, boys". I think a lot of people identify with one of the parts (guitar, drums, bass) on that jam. I know I do, but it'd be fun to hear others' preferences without me gabbing on.

Yes, the whole thing! And I love the line "The love you take is equal to the love you make". I think that is the final line of the song, but not sure. I actually knew someone in college who said he wrote in his will to play the entire side B of the Abbey Road album at his funeral.

Yes, the whole thing! And I love the line "The love you take is equal to the love you make". I think that is the final line of the song, but not sure. I actually knew someone in college who said he wrote in his will to play the entire side B of the Abbey Road album at his funeral.

:)

That works! Here's who I think they were doing:

Drum solo: Iron Butterfly (I don't know the name)
Clean guitar: Clapton
Dirty guitar: Pete Townshend

David1961:

Man oh man. Your post prompted me to listen to that side while doing errands this afternoon. Pure genius. McCartney is playing the Rickenbacker bass the company gave him to replace the iconic Hofner violin one (which are pretty hard to make sound good).

But I noticed a great leaving (work) line in "You Never Give Me Your Money":

Step on the gas and wipe that tear away.

It's amusing to learn others had a retirement theme song too. Mine was 'I Believe I Can Fly'.
Our former CEO liked to have company-wide pep rallies where they would show an inspirational video with music (great sound system). One time this song was used to inspire us to greater achievement in our jobs.
Right after I lost mine in 2005, the effects of hurricane Katrina blew through our area. Great kite weather. So I took my kite into the backyard and launched it...that song came to mind. Has been my retirement song since.
While I was still working my theme song was 'No One Ever is to Blame'.

AC/DC "Highway to Hell"

LOL.

My song is "Forever Young" by Bob Dylan.

Other songs that should follow the above in loop at my funeral:

One Moment in Time by W. Houston
I Shall Be Released by Bob Dylan
My Way by Paul Anka

Other songs that should follow the above in loop at my funeral:

One Moment in Time by W. Houston
I Shall Be Released by Bob Dylan
My Way by Paul Anka

Beautiful songs but - let's don't get into that yet!

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it difficult to maniacally laugh and sing at the same time so I probably won't have a song as I leave my j*b.

It would certainly be "Today"

The Smashing Pumpkins - Today - YouTube

1) Corgan said that the plot of the video was inspired by a memory he had of an ice cream truck driver who, upon quitting his job, gave out his remaining stock of ice cream to the neighborhood children.
2) Until he gets to the cutting himself part, the lyrics go along with the BS bucket overflowing and needing to do something else in life tomorrow.

Today is the greatest
Day I've ever known
Can't live for tomorrow,
Tomorrow's much too long
I'll burn my eyes out
Before I get out

I wanted more
Than life could ever grant me
Bored by the chore
Of saving face

Today is the greatest
Day I've never known
Can't wait for tomorrow
I might not have that long
I'll tear my heart out
Before I get out

3) I clearly remember it playing on the radio one day, turning the volume way up, and really listening to all the lyrics for the first time. The moment was (like today) the day before Thanksgiving. I was driving to high school on the day I dropped out. That day was an extremely positive life changing moment in my life, so the song seems like a good way to start retirement.

Last edited:
Irak, great song...the music and singer's inflection really add to the sense of "gotta get out before I burn my eyes out/tear my heart out." How many times have I felt my youth and ability to enjoy life just...slipping away...in the service of a paycheck.

Amethyst

I have to go with W2R's previously mentioned Rolling Stones "Free Any Time I Want". That would sum it up handsomely for me!

2014! Every once in awhile I second guess myself and think "Oh, do you really want to leave?" but then I have have some aggravation on the job, and I think of my family history of mortality and I think "better not wait".

When I left, I walked out to the parking lot, took the cover off my little convertible, and dropped the top. I hopped in, cranked up the sound system, and roared out of the parking lot with the theme from "The Prisoner" playing.

But that's just me...

I will be leaving with some regret, as for the most part I enjoy my job, and it formed my financial foundation. But I do look forward to the freedom and relaxation of FIRE. As I thought about, it is very similar to when I graduated college - I enjoyed my time there, but I was ready to move forward into a challenging but eager career path. So the same song what I celebrated with at the end of my senior year and that first summer of my job is what I will use when I finally leave my job:

Chic - Good Times - YouTube

"30 days in the hole"

Started a playlist on my IPOD, and eventually got to 24 songs, but this was the one that inspired me with the countdown.

My song will be "Roll Me Away" by Bob Seger. These words capture the feeling of freedom perfectly for me.

Stood alone on a mountain top,
Starin' out at the great divide
I could go east, I could go west,
It was all up to me to decide
Just then I saw a young hawk flyin'
And my soul began to rise
And pretty soon
My heart was singin'

David1961: Man oh man. Your post prompted me to listen to that side while doing errands this afternoon. Pure genius. McCartney is playing the Rickenbacker bass the company gave him to replace the iconic Hofner violin one (which are pretty hard to make sound good). But I noticed a great leaving (work) line in "You Never Give Me Your Money": Step on the gas and wipe that tear away.

When I was a kid, I could never figure what he sang after that. "One sweet dream, hey Jude, today?". "Hate you today?".

It's "One sweet dream came true today".

Lots of good choices here. When I left work my wife made and Early Retirement CD for me with the songs listed below. The CD started with a working theme and evolved to a non-working theme.

Hard Workin' Man (Brooks and Dunn)
Workin' For A Livin' (Huey Lewis)
9 to 5 (Dolly Parton)
Five O'clock World (The Vogues)
Forty Hour Week (For a Livin') (Alabama)
End Of The Line (Traveling Wilburys)
Should I Stay Or Should I Go? (The Clash)
Take This Job and Shove It (Johnny Paycheck)
I'm Free (The Who)
Golden Years (David Bowie)
Touch Of Gray (Grateful Dead)
I'm Free (The Soup Dragons)
Already Gone (Eagles)
The Best Is Yet To Come (Frank Sinatra)

After seeing all the great songs on this thread I may have to make a second CD!

Back
Top Bottom