Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-10-2008, 11:22 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Goat butter is pretty commonplace. But you do need a separator or buy evil illegal butter.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2008, 01:46 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Back to the OP -- a friend of mine works for REI in his spare time. He doesn't really need the money, but loves the employee discounts (he's a gear-head) and also helping people pick out products. He seems to enjoy it.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:21 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
A former supervisor does income taxes in the spring months (with some large company) mainly to pay for his summer motorcycle trips.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSense View Post
Back to the OP -- a friend of mine works for REI in his spare time. He doesn't really need the money, but loves the employee discounts (he's a gear-head) and also helping people pick out products. He seems to enjoy it.
That's good to hear. REI is opening another store on the other side of the valley in Summerlin this November. Though too far to drive for a part-time job, it should open up some positions in their nearby Henderson store. As a member of the coop, I got a postcard a couple of weeks ago regarding job openings and have been thinking about applying. I haven't yet made the jump from thinking about it to doing it, however (I have longstanding issues with inertia). I don't really need the money either, but the REI employees I've encountered all seem pretty happy. Bad news is I guess I'd lose my "totally-retired" card, but the discount on gear and health insurance are both big pluses!
Old 08-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Allegedly three of the best places to work are REI, Costco and Trader Joes. All also offer pretty good benefits although I think none of them kick in unless you're full time or almost full time.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Allegedly three of the best places to work are REI, Costco and Trader Joes. All also offer pretty good benefits although I think none of them kick in unless you're full time or almost full time.

I can verify that Costco's benefits kick in at part time (24+ hours/week) after you have been there for 6 months.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:28 PM   #27

Is this a trick question? ... (to the OP's original).

I'm retired. I do not work (yes, I do volunteer but that's my decision on when I want to do it, and no, I get no "money" - other than the knowledge of my actions "make a difference".)

If I would work (any number of hours) regardless of my "status", I may be "under-employed" or "part time employed" but I'm still (in some manner employed, and probably getting a W2) and therefore not retired.

Got it? ...

- Ron
Old 08-12-2008, 03:44 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a View Post
Is this a trick question? ... (to the OP's original).

I'm retired. I do not work (yes, I do volunteer but that's my decision on when I want to do it, and no, I get no "money" - other than the knowledge of my actions "make a difference".)

If I would work (any number of hours) regardless of my "status", I may be "under-employed" or "part time employed" but I'm still (in some manner employed, and probably getting a W2) and therefore not retired.

Got it? ...

- Ron
Maybe. Maybe some people, once retired, begin an activity completely unrelated to their pre-retirement working life. And maybe they enjoy this activity so much that they'd do it for free, but they happen to get paid for it. Are they now not retired? I dunno.

I think it must depend on how one defines retirement.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:51 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
If you get a job at an insurance carrier and then buy an annuity, the commission is paid into your account. You generally get a discount on LTC and life insurance as well. Be sure to pick a good carrier.
All those pesky insurers keep trying to get me on their payrolls, of course they have NO PLANS to offer benefits such as you are describing..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:51 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypatriot View Post
Maybe. Maybe some people, once retired, begin an activity completely unrelated to their pre-retirement working life. And maybe they enjoy this activity so much that they'd do it for free, but they happen to get paid for it. Are they now not retired? I dunno.

I think it must depend on how one defines retirement.
After retirement, I initially avoided anything that even looked like work, paid or not.

This is slowly changing to the point where I actually have attended a few fundraisers and low key events.

Will I get involved with something to the point where I have a schedule or get paid?

Anything is possible.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I'll take a stab at defining it. You're retired if you dont have any place you're required to go to on any particular interval to perform actual work.

So that pretty much cuts out any sort of job but not charity work.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:33 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My part time job is helping the in laws. They buy lunch. I get to do manual labor. Then we play a game every once in awhile. Good pay good beni's That and I love to hear my FIL stories about WW2.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:00 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
All those pesky insurers keep trying to get me on their payrolls, of course they have NO PLANS to offer benefits such as you are describing..........
They're trying to give you commissions. It's free money, man... you just help people get things they need anyway and the insurer just gives you money for being a good FA!

I'm sure if you called up the carrier and told them you didn't want the commission they'd be willing to work something out.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #34

Worked for an "national tax prep" company for five years following retirement for something to do in the dog days of winter but found a local CPA firm that treats me much better so work Feb 1 to April 17 doing income tax returns.

RE2Boys
Old 08-14-2008, 10:11 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I haven't really worked since retirement, but one of my main pre-career jobs was selling shoes at a price point shoe chain named Baker's. Once I had a taste of working in an air conditioned store with no dirt and a generally clean and well behaved clientele I was hooked.

It was fun but pretty hard work, both physically running back and forth with umpteen billion pairs of heels, and emotionally getting those gals to haul out their cash. No sell, no earn. But fortunately women love shoes so it was never too hard. Even sold quite a few matching purses.

I did get a discount, which I passed on to girlfriends provided they bought from me so I would get the commission.

Bakers Shoes - Fashion Shoes for Women - Sandals, Boots, Dress Shoes, Pumps, Platforms, Flats, Handbags, Accessories

Ha
Old 08-14-2008, 10:23 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It was fun but pretty hard work, both physically running back and forth with umpteen billion pairs of heels, and emotionally getting those gals to haul out their cash. No sell, no earn. But fortunately women love shoes so it was never too hard. Even sold quite a few matching purses.
So, I've heard all sorts of stories about lady exhibitionists and shoe stores. Any truth to the rumors?
Old 08-14-2008, 10:49 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
So, I've heard all sorts of stories about lady exhibitionists and shoe stores. Any truth to the rumors?
Yes, sometimes. When they think they have you in a subordinate position some women really like to crank up the tease. For me I just wanted the money, so crank it up Honey, as long as you buy the shoes, and the purse, and maybe some special cremes to care for them. Mostly these were young working class girls and they were fun. Bridal groups were fun too.

Ha
Old 08-15-2008, 10:59 PM   #38

ejman -what cute kids! why are the prices so different? desireable genetic lines or colors or...?
Old 08-16-2008, 08:52 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
If you work part-time after you retire, are you still retired? Isn't retirement work some kind of oxymoron or something?
To my mind the distinction, and it is a crucial one, is that working is now and will be forever, optional. I'm working at a job now because I want to, not because I have to. If they give me any crap I'll give 'em a finger wave and be gone - I think that's what used to be called an "attitude problem".

I have a grueling 3.4 mile commute, work 3:00 PM to 11:00 PM, the pay is absurd ($2/hour less than before I retired) for doing virtually nothing, little responsibility, and if things blow up it's not my fault.

Among other things, with the "extra" money this month I'm going to buy a large package of filet mignon steaks and cook them on the grill on the back porch overlooking the creek.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:01 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I've worked retail before, and don't like "the public" enough to deal with it, especially for $8/hr.... I lost a few bucks compared to my former yob, but the hours, conditions, and commute are better. And I still make double or more what I could get in retail. I'd rather build the pile, then FIRE outright. I ain't gonna study war work no more...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote