Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-05-2008, 04:03 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
At my current company we're outsourcing IT to an offshore service provider.
Been there - done that (can you spell B-a-n-g-a-l-o-r-e ? )

One of the many reasons (as an IT Project Manager) I decided to retire (on my own terms).

Sorry to say, but "it's good to be old" (in the IT "profession"). Hey, when I started in the field, "programming" was wiring up boards for unit-record equipment (yes, I am "older than dirt", and proud of it, thank you ).

- Ron

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2008, 06:33 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
And, through it all, we were told to sit on our hands, basically. There were several areas that could have used our help and plenty of innovative things we could have tried, but either our boss (an otherwise rational person) would put a stop to (he didn't want us working on projects outside of the team charter in the event that it'd either break the team up or would cause us to bring on other work that he didn't want to hold on to long-term) or, even better, we couldn't do the work because that'd require a project and we didn't have money to fund new projects. They were happy to pay me to do nothing but couldn't fathom a way to pay me to actually work.
You too? Amazing, what's happening in corporate America. When I started work around 30 years ago, did not see anything like this. A very close friend of mine, who is 10 years older, never saw anything like this either.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:44 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Things I won't miss from my j*b?

1. Performance Evaluations

2. Meetings

3. Budgets

4. Dealing with management cowboys and jerks

5. Dealing with Federal and International Regulatory agencies and auditors.

6. Getting up at 6:00 AM

7. Eating two or three meals a day at my desk.

8. Corporate BS in every form and fashion

9. Driving to and from w*rk with 100,000's of other folks.

10. Not having freedom of choice in most things.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:23 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

The Illinois Tollway
Old 08-15-2008, 09:31 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another one...

I had to add this comment, since the company I retired from (last year) just announced (yesterday) their shutdown of operations and relocation from the area that I reside.

That is "elimination of uncertainty from future income".

Hey - I (luckly) "survived" ...

- Ron
Old 08-15-2008, 01:31 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a View Post
I had to add this comment, since the company I retired from (last year) just announced (yesterday) their shutdown of operations and relocation from the area that I reside.

That is "elimination of uncertainty from future income".

Hey - I (luckly) "survived" ...

- Ron
My Dad had a similar experience back in the 80's. He had planned all of his adult life to retire on his 62nd birthday. So in early February 1987 he gave his official written notice that he was retiring in May after 39 years there, and also gave them his list of scheduled vacation (7 weeks of it). At the end of February the company announced that they were shutting down in June, and those who wanted to, could put their names in to transfer to one of their other facilities out east.....IF there were openings out there.....otherwise they were SOL. They also informed the employees that unless they had already turned in their vacation notices, they would not be getting any paid vacation time.....unless they transferred.

There were a lot of his co-workers that accused Dad of having an 'inside track' to what was coming down, but he didn't. Being a staunch Union man all of his life, he would have been the last person that management would have confided in. He had told everyone for years that he was retiring @ 62 come hell or high water, and he had simply given the powers-that-be the required 3 month retirement notice. And since he did it before the company's closure announcement, he got his 7 weeks vacation. About 300-400 others weren't so lucky.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:42 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That happened for me with my separation package. The company had a program in place to give everyone a free home computer, and it was written into the package that even if you left you'd get it. Then the downturn hit and the program was scuttled.

But it couldnt be taken out of the separation agreement if you'd already signed it and set a date.

So...everyone who left the company got the free computer. Everyone who stayed didnt. I even got a nifty polo shirt with the program name stitched into it. I guess they had a lot of those and nobody really wanted to wear one...

Sometimes a well timed getaway really works out...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:02 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
My Dad had a similar experience back in the 80's. He had planned all of his adult life to retire on his 62nd birthday. So in early February 1987 he gave his official written notice that he was retiring in May after 39 years there, and also gave them his list of scheduled vacation (7 weeks of it). At the end of February the company announced that they were shutting down in June, and those who wanted to, could put their names in to transfer to one of their other facilities out east.....IF there were openings out there.....otherwise they were SOL. They also informed the employees that unless they had already turned in their vacation notices, they would not be getting any paid vacation time.....unless they transferred.

My DW retired two weeks ago. She actually had gone up May 15 (or thereabouts)to Human Resources to give them the two week notice that she was retiring on May 31st. Lo and behold, an hour after she had gone back to her area, an emergency meeting was called for the entire laboratory and there the lab manager told them that the hospital had decided to close sometime in July or August this year. Furthermore, if they retired prior to that date, they would not get a separation package. The next week she rescinded her resignation (Human Resources allowed her to), and stayed until the hospital was handed off to a surprise buyer Aug 1st. The hospital she worked for did close, and she did not accept an offer of employment from the new corporate owner. Her pension and 403(b), as well as 401(k)s are safe because this was only one hospital of a chain owned by a non-profit corp.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:26 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Or more likely in our case, the customer groups get tired of waiting for IT to get around to doing something they need done -- because IT never has the resources or the so-called "bandwidth" to do it -- so they develop their own "rogue" applications which aren't centrally managed or proficiently administered. And typically IT looks the other way, because they know the business needs this ASAP, and if they balked the only other alternative would be for IT to actually do it now -- and not in a couple years.
Sounds like what our group does, except it has been institutionalized. Our group is called Business IT because we are not part of the main IT groups.