What time do YOU get up?

dory36

Early-Retirement.org Founder, Developer of FIRECal
Someone caught me logged in bright and early -- well, actually before sun up, so I guess it was dark and early.

I get up a "O dark thirty", even a year+ into retirement. I always have.

I'm curious -- how many ER's are early risers as well as early retirees?

Dory36

Not I.

Before I retired 20 months ago, I typically got up at 6:00 a.m. weekdays and slept in a little on weekends. After retiring, I was "sleeping in" until around 8:00 a.m. or so.

Gradually that time crept forward to 9:00, 9:30, 10:00 ... I guess it's because I know I can stay up as late as I want and I often do. Also, after years of six hours' sleep, and often waking up at 4:00 a.m. worrying about deadlines, it's such a luxury to wake up in the morning and realize I don't have to get out of bed just yet if I'd rather not. I find I'm at my best on about nine hours of sleep.

On average I'd say I get out of bed around 9:30 a.m. these days. When I have to get up much earlier because of an appointment, travel reservations, or whatever, I really feel it. :(

Before I retired, I used to get up around 5:00 AM. After 2 years of retirement bliss, I still have this bad habit of getting restless around 5-6 AM. It's hard to shake 26 years of early to bed, early to rise.

But it's not so bad. I can spend some time surfing the web before the internet traffic picks up, read the paper, and teach myself more about Linux; all before the wife is ready to get up and start her day.

Guess I'm just a "morning" person.

Another early riser

When working, I got up at 5:30 so I could work out and get into the office by 8:30. I don't do that anymore. When I'm doing volunteer work, I get up at 7:30. When I'm not, usually between 8 and 9. I don't like to stay up late, so I don't tend to get up too late. Besides - in the summer, morning's the best time to work out in the yard.

I'm still working and don't get up until 7:30. I follow Intercst's rules of no extra time allowed in the office. Sleep as late as possible, arrive as late as possible and go home as early as possible.

When I feel like it!

Generally somewhere between 6:00 and 8:00. Unless I have something planned, I just get up when I wake up. The biggest problem is if I want to have breakfast out but wake up to early for our local Mexican hole in the wall which doesn't start serving until 8:00.

Baanista

I find the older I get the earlier I awake, much to my wife's discomfort. At the current rate I will be down to about 3 hours sleep per nite within 10 years.
Jim ;)

I'm an "O Dark Thirty" kind of girl myself. Get up about 5:30 am or maybe 6am at the latest. Been retired for 3 years now but can't seem to sleep in later (and don't really want to either). Use to get up at 4:30 am when working so this IS sleeping in :)!

I just can't understand why people get up once they have retired. Some get up as early as 5am. I have always loved to sleep. Could not wait for retirement so could stay in bed until anytime I wish. Now it seems like I can sleep for 9 hours without moving.
I have a parrot and his sleeping habits just like mine. I cover him up at 9pm and he will not go five minutes over and as I go about midnight and get up at 9am he now will start in at exactly 9Am yelling. "lets get up"
The way the weather is right now in Illinois. I really enjoy just looking out at all the snow and snuggling down until 9AM. Now summer time I am usually ready to get started earlier.
One of the good things about retirement

Jeanne

Back
Top Bottom