Join Early Retirement Today

What time do YOU get up?
Old 07-14-2002, 01:45 PM   #1
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

What time do YOU get up?

Someone caught me logged in bright and early -- well, actually before sun up, so I guess it was dark and early.

I get up a "O dark thirty", even a year+ into retirement. I always have.

I'm curious -- how many ER's are early risers as well as early retirees?

Dory36

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: What time do YOU get up?
Old 07-14-2002, 06:02 PM   #2
Confused about dryer sheets

Not I.

Before I retired 20 months ago, I typically got up at 6:00 a.m. weekdays and slept in a little on weekends. After retiring, I was "sleeping in" until around 8:00 a.m. or so.

Gradually that time crept forward to 9:00, 9:30, 10:00 ... I guess it's because I know I can stay up as late as I want and I often do. Also, after years of six hours' sleep, and often waking up at 4:00 a.m. worrying about deadlines, it's such a luxury to wake up in the morning and realize I don't have to get out of bed just yet if I'd rather not. I find I'm at my best on about nine hours of sleep.

On average I'd say I get out of bed around 9:30 a.m. these days. When I have to get up much earlier because of an appointment, travel reservations, or whatever, I really feel it.
andrew61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 06:26 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to RedOscar

Before I retired, I used to get up around 5:00 AM. After 2 years of retirement bliss, I still have this bad habit of getting restless around 5-6 AM. It's hard to shake 26 years of early to bed, early to rise.

But it's not so bad. I can spend some time surfing the web before the internet traffic picks up, read the paper, and teach myself more about Linux; all before the wife is ready to get up and start her day.

Guess I'm just a "morning" person.

Another early riser
RedOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 09:24 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

When working, I got up at 5:30 so I could work out and get into the office by 8:30. I don't do that anymore. When I'm doing volunteer work, I get up at 7:30. When I'm not, usually between 8 and 9. I don't like to stay up late, so I don't tend to get up too late. Besides - in the summer, morning's the best time to work out in the yard.
arrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 12:47 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm still working and don't get up until 7:30. I follow Intercst's rules of no extra time allowed in the office. Sleep as late as possible, arrive as late as possible and go home as early as possible.
goinfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 12:49 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

When I feel like it!

Generally somewhere between 6:00 and 8:00. Unless I have something planned, I just get up when I wake up. The biggest problem is if I want to have breakfast out but wake up to early for our local Mexican hole in the wall which doesn't start serving until 8:00.

Baanista
baanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 04:27 PM   #7

I find the older I get the earlier I awake, much to my wife's discomfort. At the current rate I will be down to about 3 hours sleep per nite within 10 years.
Jim
Jagman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 08:18 AM   #8

I'm an "O Dark Thirty" kind of girl myself. Get up about 5:30 am or maybe 6am at the latest. Been retired for 3 years now but can't seem to sleep in later (and don't really want to either). Use to get up at 4:30 am when working so this IS sleeping in :-)!
Cody-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 04:35 PM   #9

I just can't understand why people get up once they have retired. Some get up as early as 5am. I have always loved to sleep. Could not wait for retirement so could stay in bed until anytime I wish. Now it seems like I can sleep for 9 hours without moving.
I have a parrot and his sleeping habits just like mine. I cover him up at 9pm and he will not go five minutes over and as I go about midnight and get up at 9am he now will start in at exactly 9Am yelling. "lets get up"
The way the weather is right now in Illinois. I really enjoy just looking out at all the snow and snuggling down until 9AM. Now summer time I am usually ready to get started earlier.
One of the good things about retirement

Jeanne