Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-24-2016, 07:39 PM   #221

My nephew and I put together a small table for his wife. He carved the flower on his CNC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg natalie table.jpg (352.6 KB, 50 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2016, 09:04 PM   #222
Full time employment: Posting here.

Last fall my DW and I finally got married after being together for 17 years (no more shacking up ! )

Since we're in our forties and we had a cheap small family only wedding at a Victorian inn here in town, we decided to splurge on one thing and make our own wedding rings.

A jeweler in Toronto runs a workshop where you come in and fabricate your own rings. You choose the blank metal billet you want (gold, silver, etc..) and then go through the whole process of shaping, rounding, soldering, sanding and polishing.

They turned out better than we could have imagined (the picture doesn't really do them justice), are a conversation piece and really mean a lot to us.

First picture is the raw billets (rose gold) and second is when they were 99% done (polished a bit more after).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (412.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 142.jpg (362.2 KB, 50 views)

Old 03-25-2016, 12:07 AM   #223
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Last fall my DW and I finally got married after being together for 17 years (no more shacking up ! )
Congratulations Mr and Mrs Koogie! I love your idea of making your own wedding rings. Working together on a project that will last a lifetime, and a small family wedding, seems much more meaningful than those horrid excesses one sees in the media.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:09 AM   #224
Recycles dryer sheets

Ronstar, very nice table! I always admire someone's ability to do quality woodwork and flower is just an icing on the cake

Koogie, never heard of someone making their own wedding rings but that is such a cool idea!!! Congrats on wedding and rings look awesome
Old 03-25-2016, 08:42 AM   #225

Meadbh and Exit, thank you both. Our wedding turned out to have a Victorian theme (not something we planned) and so I rented a full morning suit to wear instead of a tux (I saw a lot of them at my cousins weddings over in Wales and England growing up).
Our house is only 1.5km from the inn so on the morning of the wedding I walked over, all suited and booted, carrying an umbrella as a walking stick. Got a lot finger pointing and a couple of honks... lol
Old 03-25-2016, 11:47 AM   #226

Quote:
Since we're in our forties and we had a cheap small family only wedding at a Victorian inn here in town, we decided to splurge on one thing and make our own wedding rings.
That is so neat! I'd never heard on anyone making their own rings either. It is something I'd like to try to do though.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:38 PM   #227
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That is so neat! I'd never heard on anyone making their own rings either. It is something I'd like to try to do though.
Maybe for your next wedding?
Old 03-25-2016, 12:45 PM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Maybe for your next wedding?
Gosh no! I've already had two, that is plenty.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:03 PM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
My nephew and I put together a small table for his wife. He carved the flower on his CNC.
Nice! I like the flower and the placement on the table.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:37 PM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit 2024 View Post
Ronstar, very nice table! I always admire someone's ability to do quality woodwork and flower is just an icing on the cake.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Nice! I like the flower and the placement on the table.
Thanks - My nephew's wife came up with the flower design - she wanted it in the corner. He carved it on the CNC. The photo didn't turn out as well as I expected. I need to take a few shots of it in natural light in a natural setting in order to best capture the contrast of the flower.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:06 PM   #231
Give me a forum ...

Beautiful rings !Congratulations !
Old 03-27-2016, 04:18 PM   #232
Dryer sheet aficionado

Patriotic Quilt

I made this for my niece and her Army Ranger husband, gave it to them yesterday. Don't remember exactly how long it took, at least a month, probably more, after work and weekends. The quilting took a few weeks to do on my longarm machine.

I call it "13 Colonies". When I was staring at it and contemplating how to quilt it I realized that there were 13 stars, including the middle, so I thought... quilt 13 stripes. I drew waving lines across a picture of the quilt for reference and filled each stripe with a different pattern.

I entered it in the California State Fair and it won First Place in Pieced Quilts, Best of Division, and a River City Quilter's Award.

I hope I can make a little income with my quiltmaking when I get moved and settled down.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:08 PM   #233

Excellent quilt, Pam!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-27-2016, 08:28 PM   #234
Recycles dryer sheets

Beautiful quilting, Pam! My personal goal for 2016 is to learn how to FMQ, but it will be a long time (if ever) before I can do anything that stunning.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:51 AM   #235

Pam, what a beautiful quilt and a great design! The detail in the actual quilting is really unique, at least from my perspective. thanks for sharing the photos and looking forward to seeing more.

Ronstar, full credit to your niece and the flower, putting it on the corner works. So many times, designs are just centered and then a lamp in the middle covers most of it up, this should be usable and great looking.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:54 AM   #236

Quote:

Really neat idea and they turned out great. Thanks for the pictures.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:05 PM   #237
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pam, The quilt is beautiful.

Ronstar, What is the table used for? Nice design.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:29 PM   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Ronstar, What is the table used for? Nice design.

My nephew has a free standing bathtub, and his wife put the table next to the tub to hold a towel, bubble bath, and stuff like that.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-01-2016, 02:06 PM   #239

Wine! Bottled 28 bottles of a Zinfandel Melon Rose' this morning from a kit. We like these type of wines as a change, especially in the summer served chilled. They are also usually only 6-8% alcohol. Ready to drink when bottled, says not to keep them more than a year but we've had similar wines we made that were still fine after a couple of years. Had to buy some glassware and other supplies up front but now we figure these work out to only about $2 per bottle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (449.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-01-2016, 02:32 PM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Wine! Bottled 28 bottles of a Zinfandel Melon Rose' this morning from a kit. We like these type of wines as a change, especially in the summer served chilled. They are also usually only 6-8% alcohol. Ready to drink when bottled, says not to keep them more than a year but we've had similar wines we made that were still fine after a couple of years. Had to buy some glassware and other supplies up front but now we figure these work out to only about $2 per bottle.
I didn't know there were kits for wine-making, and I'll be sure to research that some.

My label would be decidedly more, um, "adventuresome" in tone though. An overall blueish tone implying nighttime image, with a 1930's race car with oversized slicks smokin' out the IRS Revenooers in their rattletrap Model T and a full moon over a three-arch stone bridge comes to mind...