Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #241
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Wine! Bottled 28 bottles of a Zinfandel Melon Rose' this morning from a kit. We like these type of wines as a change, especially in the summer served chilled. They are also usually only 6-8% alcohol. Ready to drink when bottled, says not to keep them more than a year but we've had similar wines we made that were still fine after a couple of years. Had to buy some glassware and other supplies up front but now we figure these work out to only about $2 per bottle.
Do you ever sit down? You make/do the most interesting things--I love seeing your projects!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2016, 11:28 PM   #242
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Pam, that quilt is incredible, certainly something you can be proud of making.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:57 AM   #243
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Do you ever sit down? You make/do the most interesting things--I love seeing your projects!
My wife enjoyed your post, she says I take after my mom. I'm either going full speed or in total relaxation mode, no middle ground. Sometimes I find myself speeding through a project and realize I'm only hurrying to be done before my 3 PM nap time.

I do enjoy retirement and started this thread because there had to be a lot of other busy people willing to share their work, lots of fun to see. Thanks for your nice comment!
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:51 AM   #244
Moderator Emeritus

Dave - There is no better project than one that you can drink! Nice work!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:47 PM   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I didn't know there were kits for wine-making, and I'll be sure to research that some.

My label would be decidedly more, um, "adventuresome" in tone though. An overall blueish tone implying nighttime image, with a 1930's race car with oversized slicks smokin' out the IRS Revenooers in their rattletrap Model T and a full moon over a three-arch stone bridge comes to mind...
You can get some good information on wine making along with kits on winemakersdepot.com, they also sell their kits on Amazon. Early on, we tried some more traditional kits to make reds or white wines and found them okay but decided we could buy better locally on sale. For the last few years, I've only made wines like the one in the post above- Orchard Mist is one brand we've used and as long as we have a few bottles of their Peach Chardonnay on hand, we're always set for presents for family! It goes fast and we always have to check suitcases and cars before family leaves after a visit.

As for the labels, you can do your own but most of the kits we buy come with everything needed to include corks, labels, and even the foil coverings. When we first started making kits, you could personalize your labels at the time of order and they would print them, think this was before the widespread availability of home printers?

Ronstar- yes, this is one time where you can combine a hobby with drinking!
Old 04-02-2016, 04:04 PM   #246
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ronstar- yes, this is one time where you can combine a hobby with drinking!
Here I was picturing you with a bottle of wine in one hand and the controls to your sawmill in the other.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Here I was picturing you with a bottle of wine in one hand and the controls to your sawmill in the other.
Somehow, that sounds like a really, really, bad idea...
Old 04-02-2016, 08:19 PM   #248
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Pam, that quilt is incredible, certainly something you can be proud of making.
Yes - and I'm not thrilled by quilts. When I see a handmade one, I'll give a polite "ohh, that's nice". They usually look like something only a quilter could love (that happens in most hobbies).

But that quilt just jumped out at me! Really a piece of art. I'm impressed.

Lots of inspiring work here, it will take some nerve to post any of my stuff. I've done a bit of woodworking, a few things I'm somewhat satisfied with, but nothing close to what Ronstar has done.

I guess I could post a picture of my home-brew beer, and then tell you it tasted good?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:59 AM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Lots of inspiring work
I guess I could post a picture of my home-brew beer, and then tell you it tasted good?

-ERD50
I'd like to see some of your beer and maybe a pointer to a good recipe? My son gave me a case of beer bottles and some caps but have never used them. I heard that beer can be tough to get right and temperature control was critical. I never really investigated or looked for a recipe beyond a quick search that resulted in an overwhelming number of options.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #250
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'd like to see some of your beer and maybe a pointer to a good recipe? My son gave me a case of beer bottles and some caps but have never used them. I heard that beer can be tough to get right and temperature control was critical. I never really investigated or looked for a recipe beyond a quick search that resulted in an overwhelming number of options.
Temperature control is important, but not necessarily difficult to achieve at all, depending on the style. Lagers require low 50's (F), and often a ramp-up to room temperature to finish, but most ales can be fermented at cool room temperatures (low-mid 60's preferred, but there is some latitude there as well). There is even a new yeast strain that supposedly ferments a 'clean' ale from low 60's to mid 80's.

I won't go into too much detail in this thread, but briefly, my personal suggestion to a new brewer is that if they like stouts or porters, make that your first brew. The flavor comes from that roasted grain, and that will cover up any slight imperfections that might be detected in a lighter, more 'delicate' style.

If you want to know more we could start a new thread, and/or point you to the brewing forums (though like any hobby, those can sometimes be overwhelming for a newbie).

-ERD50
Old 04-03-2016, 03:54 PM   #251
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Temperature control is important, but not necessarily difficult to achieve at all, depending on the style. Lagers require low 50's (F), and often a ramp-up to room temperature to finish, but most ales can be fermented at cool room temperatures (low-mid 60's preferred, but there is some latitude there as well). There is even a new yeast strain that supposedly ferments a 'clean' ale from low 60's to mid 80's.

I won't go into too much detail in this thread, but briefly, my personal suggestion to a new brewer is that if they like stouts or porters, make that your first brew. The flavor comes from that roasted grain, and that will cover up any slight imperfections that might be detected in a lighter, more 'delicate' style.

If you want to know more we could start a new thread, and/or point you to the brewing forums (though like any hobby, those can sometimes be overwhelming for a newbie).

-ERD50
I'd like that, as I brew beer and make wine year round.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:53 PM   #252
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
.....Lots of inspiring work here, it will take some nerve to post any of my stuff. I've done a bit of woodworking, a few things I'm somewhat satisfied with, but nothing close to what Ronstar has done.
-ERD50
Thanks, but I'm finding that woodworking projects are more easily accomplished by a good set of tools.

Next up - my niece is buying this bed for her 2 year old daughter. I need to replicate the trim to fill in the top part that is missing. But I'm not doing fancy stuff in the middle like the footboard has. I'm sure I'll need some new tools to do this.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-04-03 at 5.46.10 PM.png (1.22 MB, 31 views)
Old 04-03-2016, 05:26 PM   #253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I'm sure I'll need some new tools to do this.
Oh, darn!
Well, if you must, you must.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:41 PM   #254
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks, but I'm finding that woodworking projects are more easily accomplished by a good set of tools. ...
Well, I have been very impressed with your woodworking skills.

Speaking of tools, ~ 10 years ago, I made a desk for DW that I am mostly satisfied with (a few imperfections that bother me). It has a contoured teak edging, and I 'justified' getting a nice hand plane to help me get it shaped. While there is so much emphasis on cool power tools (and I have my share), there is something very satisfying in using a good quality hand tool.

No noise, it makes shavings that fall to the floor instead of a cloud of dust that gets in your lungs and over everything. It can be relaxing to quietly shape a piece of wood using a good hand tool. Scrapers are another nice approach over a sander.

So maybe I'll get around to getting decent pictures of the desk, table lamps, and a simple, but somewhat interesting standing corner-shelf I've made. But my photo skills aren't up to your level either!

-ERD50
Old 04-04-2016, 04:27 AM   #255

Quote:
Thanks, but I'm finding that woodworking projects are more easily accomplished by a good set of tools.

Next up - my niece is buying this bed for her 2 year old daughter. I need to replicate the trim to fill in the top part that is missing. But I'm not doing fancy stuff in the middle like the footboard has. I'm sure I'll need some new tools to do this.
Maybe you could make a piece for the center that could be cut on your nephews CNC machine. I tried to look at the picture of the footboard but couldn't see enough detail. I know the design program I use for my machine has a lot of 3D flourish models that might be a good starting point. Or you could just buy the tools!
Old 04-16-2016, 07:56 AM   #256
Moderator Emeritus

Made a stool out of walnut to match my architect's table.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg draftingstool.jpg (371.4 KB, 34 views)
Old 04-16-2016, 12:06 PM   #257

You're a great craftsman, Ronstar. Beautiful work!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:15 PM   #258
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
You're a great craftsman, Ronstar. Beautiful work!
You really do do excellent work, Ronstar. I have a question though. Are your projects like mine, where everybody thinks it's perfect, but all I can see are my little mistakes/imperfections? Or are you a big leaguer, and can actually do them all the way right? They certainly look perfect.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:28 PM   #259
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks harley & MBAustin.
My projects are like yours, harley. Looks good at a distance, but not as good up close.
Let's see - on this one, I dropped the seat after I had it finished and waxed. I tried to touch it up, but I can feel the bump at the corner. The joints on this one are good - I now finish all pieces individually before assembly - so I can easily wipe away glue squeeze out from the waxed pieces during assembly. But I need to be very careful because I can't sand away any snafus without having to refinish parts of it. There's a couple of very small dents that can be seen if you look close enough.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:53 PM   #260
Give me a forum ...

Well, that makes me feel better. I made a vanity for our bathroom a while back, and used white formica for the top. There's a tiny tiny blemish at one of the corners, and it's all I can look at when I'm in there. Nobody else has ever noticed.