Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-17-2016, 12:59 PM   #261
Recycles dryer sheets

"Biking Bluegrass" cookies
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (889.0 KB, 33 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 01:06 PM   #262

Very nice! They look almost too good to eat. Almost.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:41 PM   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Very nice! They look almost too good to eat. Almost.
They are, aren't they? Little works of art that is almost a shame to destroy by eating them.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:24 PM   #264
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm in the process of building some shelves and cabinets in our theater room. They are painted a dark gray to match the walls. Here's a blank for one of the four doors I'm making on the CNC, each one will have a different design. Finished a second one this morning that has a directors chair, hope to finish up this week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (435.5 KB, 37 views)
Old 04-24-2016, 06:39 PM   #265

Very nice! Is that MDF?
Old 04-24-2016, 06:47 PM   #266

Quote:
Very nice! Is that MDF?
Yes, 1/2" MDF, carves great and really looks good. Takes paint well, I put a coat of shellac on after carving to raise the fuzzies, then a light sanding before painting. Make sure you have the dust collector working!
Old 04-24-2016, 06:52 PM   #267

I like the shellac idea! You're right - working with MDF makes a mess.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:29 PM   #268

Whipped up a wheelbarrow planter from pallets and an old wheel that I dug up. Now to pack it with flowers, etc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheelbarrow 5k.jpg (982.7 KB, 41 views)
Old 05-03-2016, 06:09 AM   #269

I like the wheelbarrow!

Finished up the shelves/cabinets in the tv room. Here are a couple of pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg theater1.jpg (466.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg theater4.jpg (545.7 KB, 40 views)
Old 05-03-2016, 05:17 PM   #270
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ronstar, Cool planter. Did you add drain holes? I have a big old Philly street vendors cart. I use it sometimes for a planter but I put a plastic mortar pan inside the cart so it won't rot out the bottom. I also put ice in the mortar pan and use it to chill wine and soda and beer for patio parties.
Dave, All I can say is WOW!
Old 05-04-2016, 06:34 AM   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Ronstar, Cool planter. Did you add drain holes? I have a big old Philly street vendors cart. I use it sometimes for a planter but I put a plastic mortar pan inside the cart so it won't rot out the bottom. I also put ice in the mortar pan and use it to chill wine and soda and beer for patio parties.
Dave, All I can say is WOW!
Split - The bottom has individual slats, so water can get out. Like you, I'm going to plant stuff in plastic bins. Cool idea on using yours as a cooler. I'm sure DW has ideas for fall arrangements, etc

Dave - great work on the entertainment center. Your cnc'd door fronts really pop!
Old 05-04-2016, 09:29 PM   #272

DD showed up at the house a couple of weeks ago. she had a big block of black foam and wanted to know if I could cut it. A glass chess/game set had been donated for the Kid's Camp silent auction and the cardboard box it was in was deteriorated. She wanted to put it in a nicer box with foam separating the boards and pieces. Turns out she didn't have a box and was going to try to put plastic pieces together for a box. I suggested we make a quick box while she was there. It probably took an hour and half to make the box using wood scraps that were literally laying outside in a scrap pile. She and her boyfriend stained it and brought it back out and I put a finish on it. Funny thing was that there were two sheets of bids on it! I think it went for like $75. You never know what will sell at a silent auction!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chess set.jpg (144.8 KB, 32 views)
Old 05-04-2016, 10:08 PM   #273

Quote:
Whipped up a wheelbarrow planter from pallets and an old wheel that I dug up. Now to pack it with flowers, etc
Very nice.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:53 AM   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I suggested we make a quick box while she was there. It probably took an hour and half to make the box using wood scraps that were literally laying outside in a scrap pile.
I enjoy making projects that dig in to my scrap pile! I'm terrible at getting rid of the leftover scraps and have piles of small pieces that I dig through when I need a board. I always go to the scrap pile first to keep from cutting something larger. Nice job and outcome on the box!
Old 05-05-2016, 06:50 AM   #275

Nice job on the box, Hermit! I know the satisfaction that you guys get from putting scraps to good use. Getting rid of scraps makes more room for tools and more wood.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-05-2016, 07:27 AM   #276

Here's a pic of raised planter stands hubby made for me (and of my container veggie garden). I love them!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02960.jpg (658.2 KB, 34 views)

(48, married; DH 52. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH will fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free)
simple girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:29 AM   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Here's a pic of raised planter stands hubby made for me (and of my container veggie garden). I love them!
Very nice planter stands!

I'm not a gardener - what is the white planter covering and what looks like a black tube coming out of the top for?
Old 05-05-2016, 10:01 AM   #278
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My guess is that the blankie keeps the soil warm, while the tube allows water to reach the deep roots.

I do not need the first where we live, but the watering tube is an idea I keep forgetting to implement
Old 05-05-2016, 11:30 AM   #279
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
I like the wheelbarrow!

Finished up the shelves/cabinets in the tv room. Here are a couple of pictures.
Glad to see you were smart enough to hang a fixed screen instead of one that goes up/down. The motorized ones are cool but no matter what you spend its impossible to get a completely flat screen. You'll always have some kind of wave or ripple. Nice work.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:38 AM   #280

Quote:
Very nice planter stands!

I'm not a gardener - what is the white planter covering and what looks like a black tube coming out of the top for?
Thank you!

Those planters are called earthboxes (Home page EarthBox® - Homegrown Vegetables Without A Garden®). I LOVE them! There is a water reservoir in the bottom - holds several gallons - and a plastic aeration screen that the potting mix sits on. There are two "wicking" chambers that go down into the water reservoir and are packed with potting mix. In this way, the earth draws water up into the roots of the plant.

You can never overwater as there is a bit of space between the aeration screen and the water - so the roots never get waterlogged.

The plastic cover serves multiple purposes: (1) helps keep moisture in (2) never get weeds (3) when it rains, the water runs off the planter, so the fertilizer strip I put in in the center doesn't get washed out by rain.

These boxes can produce a ton of veggies/sq foot of space.

(48, married; DH 52. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH will fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free)
simple girl is online now   Reply With Quote