Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-05-2016, 11:39 AM   #281
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh and yes the water tube goes straight down into the water reservoir.

(48, married; DH 52. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH will fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free)
simple girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2016, 12:13 PM   #282

Here's a pic of my garden near the end of summer last year. I can grow 6 bell pepper plants in each box (I plant 2 full boxes of peppers each year - we love them).

The gray box on the right in the pic is my homemade earthbox, which I have since retired as the plastic tubs only last about 3 or 4 years in the sun before they start cracking. I have switched to professional earth boxes completely this year. I'm on another forum just for this, and members there have had their boxes last 15 to 20 years.

I've also attached a pic of some of the beautiful bounty from my garden last year. It is amazing what I am able to grow on my deck!

(48, married; DH 52. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH will fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free)
Old 05-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #283

Simplegirl, Nice Earth boxes. How's your deck holding up to all that weight?

Hermit, Nice box for the chess set.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:46 PM   #284

+1

Earthbox are great. Got two last year, going to pick up tomatoes and herbs to transplant this afternoon.

I learned about them from my cousin. They have a wonderful summer home on Seneca lake but you have to walk down the cliff. They grow their own all summer on what is just shale. Sure beats packing them down the cliff.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:52 PM   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Simplegirl, Nice Earth boxes. How's your deck holding up to all that weight?

Good question. It did occur to me! Each box, according to the website, weighs around 80# when full and watered. So, I only have 6. I should hope my deck would be rated to hold the weight of 6 children plus me and hubby! If not, yikes that's a problem!

Old 05-05-2016, 06:58 PM   #286

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Good question. It did occur to me! Each box, according to the website, weighs around 80# when full and watered. So, I only have 6. I should hope my deck would be rated to hold the weight of 6 children plus me and hubby! If not, yikes that's a problem!
You also have to count the weight of the plants and fruit, weight when the plants get wet from rain, weight of the beautiful plant stands dry and wet. A friend had his Earth box pull his second floor deck away from the wall of the house. Hope you have no problem.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:23 PM   #287
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Decks are often designed to hold a hot tub, which can weigh well over a thousand lbs, or a hundred lbs/sq ft. So unless your deck is substandard you shouldn't have a problem. I mean, seriously, a standard deck can easily hold 10 drunken college boys and a couple of kegs without collapsing. A few bell peppers and some basil should do OK.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:29 AM   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Decks are often designed to hold a hot tub, which can weigh well over a thousand lbs, or a hundred lbs/sq ft. So unless your deck is substandard you shouldn't have a problem. I mean, seriously, a standard deck can easily hold 10 drunken college boys and a couple of kegs without collapsing. A few bell peppers and some basil should do OK.
A new deck, maybe but looking at the pictures of the wood deck flooring from last year and the hand rail from pictures this year (looks like the deck floor may have been replaced or new deck flooring laid over old flooring and adding additional weight to the support structure) that is an old deck. If this is similar to the deck in a previous picture of her friend/herself toasting with a drink it's also not a large deck. Just wanted to make sure that simple girl was aware.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:04 AM   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
A new deck, maybe but looking at the pictures of the wood deck flooring from last year and the hand rail from pictures this year (looks like the deck floor may have been replaced or new deck flooring laid over old flooring and adding additional weight to the support structure) that is an old deck. If this is similar to the deck in a previous picture of her friend/herself toasting with a drink it's also not a large deck. Just wanted to make sure that simple girl was aware.
I appreciate the input so much! I am concerned. Hubby doesn't think it is an issue. He says the deck is well bolted to the house. He did replace the entire floor of the deck (he didn't lay new flooring over old, he replaced all of the boards) and one of the joists (after inspecting the deck earlier this spring). He is an engineer, but not a structural engineer. Perhaps I should have someone come inspect the deck.

The deck was built in 2005.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:22 AM   #290
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just get a fat guy to come over and jump up and down a few times.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:06 PM   #291

Quote:
Wasn't there a movie about that, Fat Guys Can't Jump?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:17 PM   #292

Quote:

Old 05-06-2016, 04:15 PM   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Wasn't there a movie about that, Fat Guys Can't Jump?
Old 06-02-2016, 06:11 AM   #294
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ignore my painting efforts but attached is a small 3D carving I cut on the CNC. Nothing special except that it's the first 3d model I've ever done. Using Aspire software from Vectric, the process is straight forward but some artistic talent is helpful, not my strong point.

I attended a camp a couple of weeks back where I saw some workshops on making models and finally had a few minutes to try. This is the logo for our local Peach Festival held each year- it's only 3 1/2" diameter so the writing was really too small and I should have used a different font but as a modeling exercise, I'm happy how it turned out. Blown up to about 10" or so, it should carve fine. The model is about .4" thick so I carved it from a .5" piece of MDF.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg peachpaint.jpg (58.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 06-02-2016, 09:54 PM   #295

I'm going to do some GoPro time lapse videos. I saw a gizmo online that panned the GoPro as it took the series of still photos to comprise the time lapse. Made from a kitchen timer and fasteners to connect the tripod to the timer to the go pro. As the timer clicks down the time, it rotates and pans the camera.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-06-02 at 9.53.08 PM.png (1.51 MB, 34 views)
Old 07-23-2016, 05:54 AM   #296

Whipped up some cutting boards from some scrap pieces of cherry, walnut, maple and mahogany
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cutting boards b.jpg (311.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg cutting boards a.jpg (398.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 07-23-2016, 09:45 AM   #297
Recycles dryer sheets

Ronstar, they look amazing !
did you glue all those pieces together? any pictures of the process?
Old 07-23-2016, 11:31 AM   #298

Thanks Exit. I didn't take too many photos, but here's the process:

1. Cut scraps
2. Glue up small scraps to 1.5” thick. Strips need to be same length. Random width.
3. Plane/sand strips
4. Glue up / bar clamp 1.5” strips into 12” wide boards. All strips need to be same length. Make several boards with different patterns.
5. Plane/sand strips
6. Crosscut 12” wide boards to 1.5” wide strips, 1.5” thick.
7. Mix up crosscut strips into a variety. Turn strips sideways so end grain is up and glue together. 1.5”thick x 12” wide x16”(or 20”) long
8. Sand
9. Trim edges, Cut juice groove and handles
10. Finish with multiple coats of mineral oil, then beeswax.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (622.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-07-23 at 11.28.37 AM.jpg (447.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (542.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (444.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #299

Found a video I made when I made the last set of cutting boards and cheese boards. Process is similar.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:47 AM   #300

Wow...a regular production line.....are you contemplating going robotic so that you can sit back and watch them churn out?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote