Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-17-2015, 04:59 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is a timely thread because I have a question for all you crafters. You all do amazing work! I used to be crafty in my day--I think many of us were as we all sewed our own clothes, etc. Way back in elementary school I made these salt dough Christmas ornaments. They have held up marvelously for 40+ years! However, the tree hanger that was inserted in each character's head before the dough was baked has rusted and fallen out over the years. In the photos you'll see only one or two with it still there. I'd love to restore these so I can hang them on the tree but can't figure out how to do so. I tried gorilla glue and a ribbon loop on their backs but just stuck my fingers together The figures are about 4" tall and heavy. I am quite sure I can't attempt to insert anything like a small nail or such or they will shatter. Their backs are also uneven so a very small Command strip hanger won't stick.
Anyway, just proud of my handiwork in 7th grade and any advice would be welcome! I love seeing your projects! One of my retirement goals is to return to my former crafty self.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1250.jpg (790.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1251.jpg (737.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1252.jpg (955.4 KB, 47 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2015, 05:45 AM   #22

I remember making these years ago. How about drilling a small hole at the top? I would think that some 5 minute epoxy to hold a loop of ribbon would also work, sets up quickly and cleans up easily with alcohol pads while wet?

Old 12-17-2015, 05:52 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauAnn View Post
I just got a sewing machine and a lap frame weaving loom two weeks ago because I wanted to get into the fiber arts. In the past week I made my first wall hanging and crazy quilt block. I'm stocking up on yarn and material!
Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your fiber work. We do a bit of spinning and weaving here as well as we have 9 alpacas that are sheared each year. More fiber than we can process ourselves but winter is when we make the most progress. It's very relaxing to sit with a spinning wheel when it's cold outside and make yarn. My DW uses a treadle wheel and I have one that is motorized so all I have to do is feed and draft the fiber- plus it is small enough to set on my lap so I can spin while watching football or hockey! Have posted pictures of some yarn we've made in the past.

Thanks to all for the pictures so far- this isn't about comparing work so don't be shy to post a shot of what you're doing. Practical things like clothes are interesting as well, at least to me, lol.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:27 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

To fix the salt dough ornaments, you could try a embedding a wire hanger in blob of hot glue on the back of the ornament.

BTW, I like them.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:36 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's a couple of quick photos of a quilt I recently completed. I did not do the quilting (sent it to a long-armer) since I have trouble handling the large quilts on my regular home machine.

The quilt top was pieced entirely from scraps in my stash. I started it last winter, when I was stuck in the house during a snowstorm so couldn't get out to the fabric store. Turned out to be a win-win: freed up some shelf space and gained a fun scrappy quilt in the process. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1450359293.104984.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1450359308.170203.jpg
Old 12-17-2015, 07:51 AM   #26

A smattering of woodworking projects:

Old 12-17-2015, 07:51 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I love that quilt, Philliefan!
Old 12-17-2015, 08:39 AM   #28

Ronstar, hoped you would post some of your projects, very nice. Photography is impressive as well!

The quilts are really nice as well. DW is slowly hand quilting a quilt, not making a lot of progress though.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:59 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow! Very impressive work everybody !
Old 12-17-2015, 10:06 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of my first RE projects was to make a series of radiator covers. For the uninitiated, homes in the North East have old steam radiators that are quite ugly and folks usually buy covers...mine came out pretty nicely.

My other project was when we had our decking pulled up and replaced the old cedar with Trex. I had the guys save me a bunch of boards, cleaned them up, varnished and made a 12 foot long table out of them. (we get a lot of people down during the summer)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151217_095221.jpg (460.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 20150808_175308.jpg (736.8 KB, 57 views)
Old 12-17-2015, 10:28 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What I made as a part of one of my hobbies a few days ago doesn't photograph very well. You'd have to see it in action, and even then, not real exciting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg code.jpg (52.3 KB, 169 views)
Old 12-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I make wool socks on a circular sock machine. I have one antique machine and one newly manufactured machine.
I mostly make them as gifts and sell a few pairs a month at a local craft shop.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1450376063.073223.jpg
Old 12-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
One of my first RE projects was to make a series of radiator covers. For the uninitiated, homes in the North East have old steam radiators that are quite ugly and folks usually buy covers...mine came out pretty nicely.

My other project was when we had our decking pulled up and replaced the old cedar with Trex. I had the guys save me a bunch of boards, cleaned them up, varnished and made a 12 foot long table out of them. (we get a lot of people down during the summer)

Marko, that's a very nice radiator cover. We have old radiators in our house and all are exposed. I have always wondered if covers would cut down on the warmth that old radiators provide?
Old 12-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Ronstar, hoped you would post some of your projects, very nice. Photography is impressive as well!

The quilts are really nice as well. DW is slowly hand quilting a quilt, not making a lot of progress though.
Thanks davemartin88. Did you do the cat ornament on your CNC machine? The ornament and box are very nice - makes me want to get a CNC.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:56 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Thanks davemartin88. Did you do the cat ornament on your CNC machine? The ornament and box are very nice - makes me want to get a CNC.

Thanks. I did the ornament on the CNC router, did a wood version this morning as well. I've really enjoyed learning CNC process and actually have a larger and beefier router on order that will be here after the first of the year. The Shark I have now does very well but have been wanting to do some larger projects. Current machine can do 2'x2', new will handle 4'x4'. Have my current machine up for sale so trying to finish up the Christmas presents!
Old 12-17-2015, 01:01 PM   #36

Marko, table is really nice, lots of room.

Tandemlover, I like the sock colors. I saw a sock making machine at the Berryville, Va. fiber show this summer, it was an antique as well. It was loaded with yarn and I did a few rows. Love your sock label too, "Hand cranked".
Old 12-17-2015, 01:03 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Great thread! I made some Christmas cards last week but I already mailed them and I don't have photos to show the group. But wow, there are some talented people around here.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:52 PM   #38

A while back I found I had a lot of nice photos, I had a nice photo printer, but the cost of mounting and framing them was more than I was willing to part with. So I bought some books on picture framing and later bought a mat cutter and learned to mount and frame my own photos. The first one I shot in the kitchen sink. The middle two are ones I did for DW, the beach scene is one that hung in her mother's kitchen for 20+ years but the frame was awful. The train is a poster found among her grandfather's stuff that was in his office for years and the cheap frame was falling apart. The two children are DW's grandnieces a couple of years ago. Those hang in her nephew's living room.

I found out why mounting and framing is expensive. It is very labor intensive and takes some time. I can do one in about four hours, with lots of practice I might be able to get it down to two. Some of that time is allowing glues to dry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picutre_framing-1.jpg (83.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Picutre_framing-2.jpg (70.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Picutre_framing-3.jpg (121.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Picutre_framing-4.jpg (159.7 KB, 38 views)
Old 12-17-2015, 05:20 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
I'd love to restore these so I can hang them on the tree but can't figure out how to do so.
Check out Sugru. Moldable glue. www.sugru.com

I've repaired or improved several things with it.

It would be easy to embed the hook in some sugru applied to the back of your ornaments - it's strong, moldable. Look at the gallery on the website for ideas.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:32 PM   #40

I love seeing all the talent here!
Thanks for the advice on my dough figures!