What We're Making

My Grandfather gave me an 1853 penny about 50 years ago. I have gazillion small pieces of nice wood around, so I whipped up a small box with a sliding lid to house the penny.

34877906062_d55eb5ff0d_c.jpg

34877904992_b02f821378_c.jpg

Gramps would be proud to see your wood working skills. Nice wood too!

Gramps would be proud to see your wood working skills. Nice wood too!

Thanks - Gramps taught me most of my wood working skills. The top wood is Bocote that I bought in Phoenix - they get it from a guy from Mexico that brings in a load now and then. Bottom is European Walnut (I think) - got it from a friend that makes gun stocks.

Beautiful!

I can only dream of being able to work with wood as well as you can. :bow:

Thanks, but its all in the tools. The more $ you spend on tools, the better you get.

My Grandfather gave me an 1853 penny about 50 years ago. I have gazillion small pieces of nice wood around, so I whipped up a small box with a sliding lid to house the penny.

Very nice!

I have recently been experimenting with the "no-knead" bread-making method. I was not satisfied with the initial results so I have refined the recipe incrementally. I think that I am nearly there.

Can you say more about your recipe adjustments?

My best improvements have to do with efficiency. The second rise is on parchment paper, and the baking is in a pre-heated clay pot with a lid. The inside of the pot is glazed.

With the parchment paper there is little clean up required and with the lidded pot I don't have to introduce moisture into the oven.

Attachments

• IMG_4278.jpg
    IMG_4278.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 58
Here's what I've been working on. Not done yet...just a proof of concept.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-06-01-14-06-57.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-06-01-14-06-57.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 78

Ronstar: Very cool little box. What's the thickness of the Wood?

Camera case made from scrap pieces of leather and walnut.

Attachments

• camera case 3.jpg
    camera case 3.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 61
  • camera case 2.jpg
    camera case 2.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 55
DW, who is exhibiting indications of arthritis in one finger, took up knitting for flexibility therapy.......since the twin granddaughters are two this Friday they'll be the recipients of (non-identical) twin dolls:

wce2x3.jpg

Nemo2, Tell your wife the dolls are too cute! I did not know that knitting (or things like that) would help arthritis.

Nemo2, Tell your wife the dolls are too cute! I did not know that knitting (or things like that) would help arthritis.
She figures that if knitting keeps the joints mobile then it can't be bad.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/health/sns-mct-bc-health-knitting-20141007-story.html#

Alton Barron, orthopedic surgeon and president of the New York Society for Surgery of the Hand, says knitting can prevent arthritis and tendinitis.

Nemo2, with that knitting skill, she should knit you a sweater for those cool Ontario Fall outings!:)

She says that the sleeves would probably end up being five feet long. :LOL:

Last edited:
Finally finished the toy box for my grand niece.

Attachments

• toybox5.jpg
    toybox5.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 96
  • toybox3.jpg
    toybox3.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 97
Superb!!

Back
Top Bottom