What We're Making

Love to cook - being a numbers guy and not an art person at all, cooking is my main creative outlet.

I like to learn to prepare various ethnic foods. Recently did some Mediterranean lamb and couscous. Also did a couple of Korean dishes.

I want to learn to make Ethiopian food and the bread called injera ... Can't find that cuisine locally and I like spicy food a lot.

Last week I received some wahoo fish from my neighbor and made ceviche, fish tacos and a seafood bisque with it.

All cooking was self taught -- having a working mom and watching Ms Julia Child on PBS in the '70s helped foster the need and the interest as well as a few of the basic skills. Save the liver.

I tried injera a few months ago. A gloppy messy disaster. However, the rest of the Ethiopian meal was a delicious success. I get recipe ideas online, but I never follow the instructions exactly. Last week I made a smoked salmon pasta with arugula and also Thai shrimp curry soup. (Different days). Both could easily be served in a restaurant.

I've been cooking since I was in my early teens. Lately (the last 3-4 years) I've been researching recipes online then combining ideas to make my own.

Cooking is edible art. Good food appeals to many senses, sight, smell, taste, and touch (texture).

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Electroforming

I'm learning how to do electroforming to add to my metal working knowledge. This is a dried seed pod that's been plated over with copper. I'm hoping to be able to use for jewelry or add as decorative element to my copper bowls and plates.

Attachments

• 20160206_082833.jpg
    20160206_082833.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 59
Wow, I just came across this thread and it has lots of cool ideas. What a wonderfully creative group of people!

My creativity is usually home-fix-it stuff but I like to cook too. Here's my latest smoked pork butt. I read and post on on BBQ-4-U and have found lot's of good ideas on that web site.

Attachments

• IMG_5316_small.jpg
    IMG_5316_small.jpg
    727.4 KB · Views: 59
I'm learning how to do electroforming to add to my metal working knowledge. This is a dried seed pod that's been plated over with copper. I'm hoping to be able to use for jewelry or add as decorative element to my copper bowls and plates.

That's neat, would like to see more. All this wonderful food is making me hungry.

I agree - splitwdw's electroforming is very cool. And the food - how can you possibly have a better hobby than one with an end product that you can eat?

I agree - splitwdw's electroforming is very cool. And the food - how can you possibly have a better hobby than one with an end product that you can eat?
Or drink?

-ERD50

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I just came across this thread and it has lots of cool ideas. What a wonderfully creative group of people!

My creativity is usually home-fix-it stuff but I like to cook too. Here's my latest smoked pork butt. I read and post on on BBQ-4-U and have found lot's of good ideas on that web site.

Good heavens, this looks REALLY GOOD!!!!!

If only I could drum up some more interest in cooking. I always love it when someone else makes mouth-watering recipes that look like this. But, I am lazy in the kitchen.........

Photos like this make me want more ambition!

:blush:

I also hand forge leaves out of copper and I do enameling.

Attachments

• 1 forged copper leaf.jpg
    1 forged copper leaf.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 2 forged copper leaves.jpg
    2 forged copper leaves.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 3 enameled leaves.jpg
    3 enameled leaves.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 57
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1454913916.510618.jpg

Learning how to quilt since retiring and made Christmas presents this past holiday.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Just discovered this thread.....wow...you guys have talent!

That's true. And also my biggest problem with my hobby of woodworking. Once you've made something, then you have to put it somewhere. I can give some stuff like boxes and cutting boards away, but I'd like to try my hand at some harder stuff, furniture and such. But I've got nowhere to put it, and it's too expensive to just give away.

That's true. And also my biggest problem with my hobby of woodworking. Once you've made something, then you have to put it somewhere. I can give some stuff like boxes and cutting boards away, but I'd like to try my hand at some harder stuff, furniture and such. But I've got nowhere to put it, and it's too expensive to just give away.

That is exactly the same problem I'm having. I only have room for one more big piece - maybe a map cabinet. Or a vanity to replace the existing one. Then I'm totally out of room. I started making cutting boards and cheese boards - I'll have to go back to those.

That is exactly the same problem I'm having. I only have room for one more big piece - maybe a map cabinet. Or a vanity to replace the existing one. Then I'm totally out of room. I started making cutting boards and cheese boards - I'll have to go back to those.

We could set up a barter system...trade one of your handcrafted pieces for someone else's finished product.

Wow, you were busy! Did you do the free-motion quilting on the throw? My goal for this year is to learn to FMQ.

I pieced & quilted everything except the quilt on my sewing machine. Had the quilt sent out to be quilted. Wasn't quite ready to tackle machine quilting a quilt yet. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

We could set up a barter system...trade one of your handcrafted pieces for someone else's finished product.

I was think more of "oops, I accidently cut up and burned that Ikea chifferobe in the chiminea, I guess I'll have to make a new one."

I am practicing my copperplate script using a dip pen.

Attachments

• IMG_2754.jpg
    IMG_2754.jpg
    580.9 KB · Views: 67
Back
Top Bottom