Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-08-2016, 02:07 PM   #121
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texcurtis View Post
Attachment 23196

Learning how to quilt since retiring and made Christmas presents this past holiday.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Beautiful gifts/lucky recipients!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2016, 02:07 PM   #122
Moderator Emeritus

I am practicing my copperplate script using a dip pen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2754.jpg (580.9 KB, 50 views)

Old 02-08-2016, 02:13 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
We could set up a barter system...trade one of your handcrafted pieces for someone else's finished product.
I like that idea... I do that already with my MIL. I wash her car - she bakes me a pie. I'd gladly trade almost anything for food.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:14 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Incredible!
Old 02-08-2016, 02:24 PM   #125
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Incredible!
Indeed.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:53 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
That's true. And also my biggest problem with my hobby of woodworking. Once you've made something, then you have to put it somewhere. I can give some stuff like boxes and cutting boards away, but I'd like to try my hand at some harder stuff, furniture and such. But I've got nowhere to put it, and it's too expensive to just give away.
Same issue here. DW says she doesn't want to live in an art gallery so I'm limited to how many framed photos I can put up.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:26 PM   #127
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I was think more of "oops, I accidently cut up and burned that Ikea chifferobe in the chiminea, I guess I'll have to make a new one."

That would work for me!

Many years ago my DH started dabbling in woodworking. For a few years, my gifts to him were tools for his shop. We watched Norm Abrams on PBS every weekend. I would tease DH that he had a flannel shirt like Norm, and many of Norm's tools, but I never seemed to get any handmade furniture like Norm's. In the end, DH didn't have enough interest to carry him through the learning stage.

Oh well, he's got many other wonderful qualities so I'll keep him.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:34 PM   #128

Quote:
I called my significant other in to see your post. She wants me to let you know she thinks that your copperplate script is beautiful. I completely agree. It feels good just looking at your work.

Thanks for that.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:42 AM   #129

Quote:
That's pretty amazing. Will you use this lettering on a project or is putting such beautiful letters on paper enough?
Old 02-09-2016, 02:51 PM   #130

Quote:
I've tried this several times with my Speedball pen and me and the paper are covered with ink. It could be the ink splat test.....forget what it's called. Anyway, yours is great. Have you been doing this long?
Old 02-09-2016, 04:18 PM   #131

Quote:
That's amazing and gorgeous! What is the material you're writing on? Whatever you are practicing for, it looks like you are ready to move on to the real thing
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #132

Just to thank the OP for starting this thread. I hope it continues for a long time! It is very inspiring to me. Incredibly talented people here, cooking, sewing and quilting, woodworking, calligraphy--wow!
Perhaps the moderators would consider making this thread a sticky? I know there is a "Creative" sticky thread under Other Topics but it seems to be mainly for books or blogs and doesn't get much traffic.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:57 PM   #133
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
That's pretty amazing. Will you use this lettering on a project or is putting such beautiful letters on paper enough?
Practicing just for fun for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I've tried this several times with my Speedball pen and me and the paper are covered with ink. It could be the ink splat test.....forget what it's called. Anyway, yours is great. Have you been doing this long?
I have been practicing off and on for a few months. I have had my share of ink splatters too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
That's amazing and gorgeous! What is the material you're writing on? Whatever you are practicing for, it looks like you are ready to move on to the real thing
I am using a 100% cotton paper. It is quite textured, but it takes the ink beautifully.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:20 PM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

This morning I finished this quilt for DD, who is working on her Ph.D. in analytical biochemistry. I chose simple piecing and quilting so the fabric would be the focus of the quilt. It's very geeky and she will love it. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1455214770.416297.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1455214802.152857.jpg
Old 02-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #135
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
This morning I finished this quilt for DD, who is working on her Ph.D. in analytical biochemistry. I chose simple piecing and quilting so the fabric would be the focus of the quilt. It's very geeky and she will love it.
I am was a chemist and I love it! Nice colors too.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:07 PM   #136

Gorgeous quilt, Philliefan. She will LOVE it and cherish it for many many years!
Old 02-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #137

Quote:
This morning I finished this quilt for DD, who is working on her Ph.D. in analytical biochemistry. I chose simple piecing and quilting so the fabric would be the focus of the quilt. It's very geeky and she will love it. Attachment 23208Attachment 23209

That is beautiful and imaginative.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Just to thank the OP for starting this thread. I hope it continues for a long time! It is very inspiring to me. Incredibly talented people here, cooking, sewing and quilting, woodworking, calligraphy--wow!
Perhaps the moderators would consider making this thread a sticky? I know there is a "Creative" sticky thread under Other Topics but it seems to be mainly for books or blogs and doesn't get much traffic.
The "Creative" sticky is a place for people to mention a book they have written that is for sale, a blog they write, a band they play in, etc. one time. Our community rules (thankfully) don't permit promoting of things that members do as a "business" (whether or not it makes money is irrelevant). However, the moderator team created that thread where a one-time mention could be made so that members who have an interest could check the products of other members out. That's why it doesn't get much posting traffic.

This thread, which I agree is wonderful, is for us all to show off what we do for fun.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:31 PM   #139

Bark textured tissue box cover made on the CNC. Made from a piece of walnut from a neighbor's tree we took down and milled a year ago. The lumber is just now dry enough to use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (694.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 02-12-2016, 04:42 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Bark textured tissue box cover made on the CNC. Made from a piece of walnut from a neighbor's tree we took down and milled a year ago. The lumber is just now dry enough to use.
Great!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote