Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2016, 01:08 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I make some of my own chain and have tried doing chainmaille but I get lost before I get very far. These are nice. What did you make with them? I learned how to do Viking knit recently and have been having fun with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerik68 View Post
I made these out of sterling silver, gunmetal rings and copper. I always dip my pliers in a plasticy adhesive so I don't mark the rings while I am weaving. Viking knit sounds interesting!
What did you make with them, not what are they made of. Necklace, bracelets, handles, trim for clothing?
Viking knit is pretty easy. For tools you need a draw plate (I made mine) and a piece of wood dowel. You can use 24, 26, 28 gauge wire. I use sterling silver or art wire. There's a bracelet in the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg viking knit.jpg (507.9 KB, 41 views)
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2016, 05:54 PM   #162
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelart99 View Post
... BTW, I specialize in putting meteorites in my knives. I forge iron meteorite into the blades and cut slices of iron and stone meteorite as part of the knife fittings / decoration.
You should watch the episode of "Avater, the Last Airbender" about Sakka's meteor sword. Good episode.
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:11 AM   #163
Full time employment: Posting here.

Work in Progress- this is a stool I'm cutting on the CNC machine from a plan I purchased. The legs haven't been epoxied in place yet, they are fresh off the machine. Once glued, will sand them smooth. I realized after cutting the blanks for the legs, they were a 1/16" smaller than they should be so there is a gap where the leg and seat join. This is the first one of these I've done plus using the new router so a lot of learning so far. Using Poplar since it's inexpensive but hope to make the next one with a Maple top and Walnut for the legs and the alpaca inlay.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:50 AM   #164
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Work in Progress- this is a stool
Nice...looking forward to seeing the finished item.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:05 AM   #165
Moderator Emeritus

Cool stool!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:57 AM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelart99 View Post
Thanks to all. Always nice to hear that the things I create that I think are "cool" ... are to others as well.
Seriously great blades. I recall seeing my first Damascus steel shotgun as a kid. Always been impressed, thanks for posting.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:44 AM   #167
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
What did you make with them, not what are they made of. Necklace, bracelets, handles, trim for clothing?
Viking knit is pretty easy. For tools you need a draw plate (I made mine) and a piece of wood dowel. You can use 24, 26, 28 gauge wire. I use sterling silver or art wire. There's a bracelet in the photo.
Oh read too fast! I make bracelets and necklaces and haven't branched out from that yet.

Your Viking Knit is amazing!
kerik68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:29 AM   #168
Give me a forum ...

I don't know if paintings qualify here but I've done some that include framing. The process:

1) Buy masonite piece and cut to sizes.
2) Gesso both sides. I like to leave it rough i.e. no sanding
3) Go out in the field (like to a winery here) and paint the scene. I use Duo Aqua water soluble oils.
4) Cut boards to size to create backing
5) Glue boards and maybe paint sides or leave bare if you like that

Here are 2 hanging in the bathroom, a small and intimate space . Both were done around Kenwood California with views of Kunde Winery.

The second photo shows the sides and some of the brush work.

Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:02 AM   #169
Moderator Emeritus

Very nice paintings, Lsbcal! How long are you out in the field painting? Can you get one done in a day, or does it take multiple trips?
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:15 AM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Very nice paintings, Lsbcal! How long are you out in the field painting? Can you get one done in a day, or does it take multiple trips?
It will depend on size but for these it was around 2 to 3 hours to finish. I might do a few touch ups at home but the aim is to do it all in one site in one sitting. The light changes encourage one to do these fairly quickly.

Typically I'd start at 10AM and finish by lunch. The morning (or evening) light is most dramatic and in the afternoon the light gets flat i.e. the angle of the light is such that foliage on grasses and plants does not get that glow from backlighting.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:34 AM   #171
Give me a forum ...

I think this thread should be closed immediately........it gives us totally no-talent people inferiority complexes!

Moderator, Moderator!!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:44 AM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I think this thread should be closed immediately........it gives us totally no-talent people inferiority complexes!

Moderator, Moderator!!
Cute
But seriously, there is no such thing as lack of talent. Just lack of patience to develop your talent.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:49 AM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Cute
But seriously, there is no such thing as lack of talent. Just lack of patience to develop your talent.
My sisters could paint and sculpt from an early age. I tried and tried to paint but I have no ability. I thought my talent was working until I took a metal working class about 10 years ago. Turns out I was good at it. I've tried a lot of different crafts since then but it's almost all metal or wood crafts. You have to find the craft that speaks/works for you.

Your paintings are wonderful!
Old 02-19-2016, 12:45 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My sisters could paint and sculpt from an early age. I tried and tried to paint but I have no ability. I thought my talent was working until I took a metal working class about 10 years ago. Turns out I was good at it. I've tried a lot of different crafts since then but it's almost all metal or wood crafts. You have to find the craft that speaks/works for you.

Your paintings are wonderful!
Splitwdw, thanks. It's nice to occasionally get some encouragement.

Perhaps you did not develop your drawing which is the foundation of painting. I have a lot of very bad paintings that I did and disposed of. One needs a tons of patience and eventually progress happens. Everyone develops their own style even if it is not immediately apparent to themselves. Some learn better in a class with the social element thrown in.

At any rate, I'm glad you found your forte!
Old 02-19-2016, 04:49 PM   #175

Quote:
Splitwdw, thanks. It's nice to occasionally get some encouragement.

Perhaps you did not develop your drawing which is the foundation of painting. I have a lot of very bad paintings that I did and disposed of. One needs a tons of patience and eventually progress happens. Everyone develops their own style even if it is not immediately apparent to themselves. Some learn better in a class with the social element thrown in.

At any rate, I'm glad you found your forte!
When we were young, a artist friend of my father's would give us among other things, drawing lessons, almost all through grade school. I can still remember the projects and the fun we had. It wasn't just drawing/painting/sculpting, we made a room divider out of copper wire, copper cutouts and crayons with a frame of wood, we made a lamp for each of us out of paper mache, we made mobiles from sticks and stones and dried animal bones. I remember enjoying making things rather than painting or sculpting. One of the things that I enjoy about going to a class is the feedback you get from other classmates and the things you can learn from them. I learned how to cut glass, do lampwork, forge spiculums, Viking knit and many other techniques from classmates. By the way, all of our childish art is in my father's wood shop in the carriage house.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:25 PM   #176
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I don't know if paintings qualify here but I've done some that include framing. The process:

1) Buy masonite piece and cut to sizes.
2) Gesso both sides. I like to leave it rough i.e. no sanding
3) Go out in the field (like to a winery here) and paint the scene. I use Duo Aqua water soluble oils.
4) Cut boards to size to create backing
5) Glue boards and maybe paint sides or leave bare if you like that

Here are 2 hanging in the bathroom, a small and intimate space . Both were done around Kenwood California with views of Kunde Winery.

The second photo shows the sides and some of the brush work.

Beautiful painting of a beautiful place!

I am working on a birthday card for my sister. She is turning 40 this year. I decided to make an illuminated manuscript. I am done with the illumination, and I am getting ready to write the text in copperplate script.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DSCF5639.jpeg (382.1 KB, 46 views)
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #177
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TappyGee View Post
You should watch the episode of "Avater, the Last Airbender" about Sakka's meteor sword. Good episode.

Hmmmmm .... that's a new one on me. I'll have to chase it down to watch. Sounds like something my 13yo nephew might enjoy.
Steelart99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:45 PM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post

I am working on a birthday card for my sister. She is turning 40 this year. I decided to make an illuminated manuscript. I am done with the illumination, and I am getting ready to write the text in copperplate script.
That is going to turn out beautifully. One needs a lot of dexterity and steadiness and patience to do that work.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:59 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post

That is beautiful. How long does something like that take to do?
Old 02-23-2016, 04:42 PM   #180
Moderator Emeritus

It took me 2 full days. First draw the image on vellum paper, then transfer it to a nice paper, retrace the image with permanent ink, gild, and paint. I cut corners a little bit by using gold ink rather than applying gold leaf for the gilding process.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote