What We're Making

That's true. And also my biggest problem with my hobby of woodworking. Once you've made something, then you have to put it somewhere. I can give some stuff like boxes and cutting boards away, but I'd like to try my hand at some harder stuff, furniture and such. But I've got nowhere to put it, and it's too expensive to just give away.

Same issue here. DW says she doesn't want to live in an art gallery so I'm limited to how many framed photos I can put up.

I was think more of "oops, I accidently cut up and burned that Ikea chifferobe in the chiminea, I guess I'll have to make a new one."

That would work for me!

Many years ago my DH started dabbling in woodworking. For a few years, my gifts to him were tools for his shop. We watched Norm Abrams on PBS every weekend. I would tease DH that he had a flannel shirt like Norm, and many of Norm's tools, but I never seemed to get any handmade furniture like Norm's. In the end, DH didn't have enough interest to carry him through the learning stage.

Oh well, he's got many other wonderful qualities so I'll keep him.

I am practicing my copperplate script using a dip pen.

I called my significant other in to see your post. She wants me to let you know she thinks that your copperplate script is beautiful. I completely agree. It feels good just looking at your work.

Thanks for that.

I've tried this several times with my Speedball pen and me and the paper are covered with ink. It could be the ink splat test.....forget what it's called. Anyway, yours is great. Have you been doing this long?

That's amazing and gorgeous! What is the material you're writing on? Whatever you are practicing for, it looks like you are ready to move on to the real thing :D

Just to thank the OP for starting this thread. I hope it continues for a long time! It is very inspiring to me. Incredibly talented people here, cooking, sewing and quilting, woodworking, calligraphy--wow!
Perhaps the moderators would consider making this thread a sticky? I know there is a "Creative" sticky thread under Other Topics but it seems to be mainly for books or blogs and doesn't get much traffic.

Last edited:
That's pretty amazing. Will you use this lettering on a project or is putting such beautiful letters on paper enough?

Practicing just for fun for now.

I've tried this several times with my Speedball pen and me and the paper are covered with ink. It could be the ink splat test.....forget what it's called. Anyway, yours is great. Have you been doing this long?

I have been practicing off and on for a few months. I have had my share of ink splatters too!:D

That's amazing and gorgeous! What is the material you're writing on? Whatever you are practicing for, it looks like you are ready to move on to the real thing :D

I am using a 100% cotton paper. It is quite textured, but it takes the ink beautifully.

This morning I finished this quilt for DD, who is working on her Ph.D. in analytical biochemistry. I chose simple piecing and quilting so the fabric would be the focus of the quilt. It's very geeky and she will love it. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1455214770.416297.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1455214802.152857.jpg

This morning I finished this quilt for DD, who is working on her Ph.D. in analytical biochemistry. I chose simple piecing and quilting so the fabric would be the focus of the quilt. It's very geeky and she will love it.

I [-]am[/-] was a chemist and I love it!:clap: Nice colors too.

Gorgeous quilt, Philliefan. She will LOVE it and cherish it for many many years!

Just to thank the OP for starting this thread. I hope it continues for a long time! It is very inspiring to me. Incredibly talented people here, cooking, sewing and quilting, woodworking, calligraphy--wow!
Perhaps the moderators would consider making this thread a sticky? I know there is a "Creative" sticky thread under Other Topics but it seems to be mainly for books or blogs and doesn't get much traffic.

The "Creative" sticky is a place for people to mention a book they have written that is for sale, a blog they write, a band they play in, etc. one time. Our community rules (thankfully) don't permit promoting of things that members do as a "business" (whether or not it makes money is irrelevant). However, the moderator team created that thread where a one-time mention could be made so that members who have an interest could check the products of other members out. That's why it doesn't get much posting traffic.

This thread, which I agree is wonderful, is for us all to show off what we do for fun. :D

Hope this helps.

Bark textured tissue box cover made on the CNC. Made from a piece of walnut from a neighbor's tree we took down and milled a year ago. The lumber is just now dry enough to use.

Last edited:
Bark textured tissue box cover made on the CNC. Made from a piece of walnut from a neighbor's tree we took down and milled a year ago. The lumber is just now dry enough to use.

Great!

Very nice.

Thanks. New CNC machine has a very different controller so trying to do some small projects as I get more familiar with it. Would like to make some cribbage boards but have to get a small bit for drilling all the holes.

Keep the pictures coming, love the quilts!

This morning I finished this quilt for DD, who is working on her Ph.D. in analytical biochemistry. I chose simple piecing and quilting so the fabric would be the focus of the quilt. It's very geeky and she will love it. View attachment 23208View attachment 23209

My engineering daughter would love this! So incredible.

Very talented people here.

I made jewelry in the past and need to get back to it now that I'm retired. I've just been too busy. lol.

Attachments

• Chainmaille.jpg
    Chainmaille.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 44
These projects are very impressive and inspiring! I started taking Irish Whistle lessons last month, so I guess I am making music. Except at this point I wouldn't call it music exactly. But I am enjoying it...I thought about uploading an audio file, but decided to spare y'alls ears.

These projects are very impressive and inspiring! I started taking Irish Whistle lessons last month, so I guess I am making music. Except at this point I wouldn't call it music exactly. But I am enjoying it...I thought about uploading an audio file, but decided to spare y'alls ears.

I've been off and on teaching myself to play flute for the last few months, and I agree with your decision.

I made jewelry in the past and need to get back to it now that I'm retired. I've just been too busy. lol.

I make some of my own chain and have tried doing chainmaille but I get lost before I get very far. These are nice. What did you make with them? I learned how to do Viking knit recently and have been having fun with that.

Forgive my ignorance, but how is this done? Do you start with a coil of wire, then form each loop? Are the ends soldered somehow? It looks like very intricate work.

I make some of my own chain and have tried doing chainmaille but I get lost before I get very far. These are nice. What did you make with them? I learned how to do Viking knit recently and have been having fun with that.

I made a chainmail shirt once back when I was in the SCA. Made it out of beer and soda pop tops. I sold it years ago, I think for about $20.

Back
Top Bottom