What We're Making

Since we're in our forties and we had a [-]cheap[/-] small family only wedding at a Victorian inn here in town, we decided to splurge on one thing and make our own wedding rings.

That is so neat! I'd never heard on anyone making their own rings either. It is something I'd like to try to do though.

Ronstar, very nice table! I always admire someone's ability to do quality woodwork and flower is just an icing on the cake.....

Nice! I like the flower and the placement on the table.

Thanks - My nephew's wife came up with the flower design - she wanted it in the corner. He carved it on the CNC. The photo didn't turn out as well as I expected. I need to take a few shots of it in natural light in a natural setting in order to best capture the contrast of the flower.

Patriotic Quilt

I made this for my niece and her Army Ranger husband, gave it to them yesterday. Don't remember exactly how long it took, at least a month, probably more, after work and weekends. The quilting took a few weeks to do on my longarm machine.

I call it "13 Colonies". When I was staring at it and contemplating how to quilt it I realized that there were 13 stars, including the middle, so I thought... quilt 13 stripes. I drew waving lines across a picture of the quilt for reference and filled each stripe with a different pattern.

I entered it in the California State Fair and it won First Place in Pieced Quilts, Best of Division, and a River City Quilter's Award.

I hope I can make a little income with my quiltmaking when I get moved and settled down. :)

img_1712903_0_bb6195e00cb90100769a396b80201f97.jpg

img_1712903_1_087388915daa2025574b8b928601a627.jpg

img_1712903_2_f9197d36097fd0e60d3f309590c66358.jpg

img_1712903_3_cd97444044649b97c6ca5ad9b4e5370a.jpg

img_1712903_4_f628f088ba4122708f1a046d653770de.jpg

img_1712903_5_28203c77373937295045f220e80243c2.jpg

Beautiful quilting, Pam! My personal goal for 2016 is to learn how to FMQ, but it will be a long time (if ever) before I can do anything that stunning.

Pam, what a beautiful quilt and a great design! The detail in the actual quilting is really unique, at least from my perspective. thanks for sharing the photos and looking forward to seeing more.

Ronstar, full credit to your niece and the flower, putting it on the corner works. So many times, designs are just centered and then a lamp in the middle covers most of it up, this should be usable and great looking.

Last fall my DW and I finally got married after being together for 17 years (no more shacking up ! :angel:)

Since we're in our forties and we had a [-]cheap[/-] small family only wedding at a Victorian inn here in town, we decided to splurge on one thing and make our own wedding rings.

Really neat idea and they turned out great. Thanks for the pictures.

Pam, The quilt is beautiful.

Ronstar, What is the table used for? Nice design.

Wine! Bottled 28 bottles of a Zinfandel Melon Rose' this morning from a kit. We like these type of wines as a change, especially in the summer served chilled. They are also usually only 6-8% alcohol. Ready to drink when bottled, says not to keep them more than a year but we've had similar wines we made that were still fine after a couple of years. Had to buy some glassware and other supplies up front but now we figure these work out to only about $2 per bottle.

Last edited:
Wine! Bottled 28 bottles of a Zinfandel Melon Rose' this morning from a kit. We like these type of wines as a change, especially in the summer served chilled. They are also usually only 6-8% alcohol. Ready to drink when bottled, says not to keep them more than a year but we've had similar wines we made that were still fine after a couple of years. Had to buy some glassware and other supplies up front but now we figure these work out to only about $2 per bottle.

I didn't know there were kits for wine-making, and I'll be sure to research that some.

My label would be decidedly more, um, "adventuresome" in tone though. An overall blueish tone implying nighttime image, with a 1930's race car with oversized slicks smokin' out the IRS Revenooers in their rattletrap Model T and a full moon over a three-arch stone bridge comes to mind...:D

Do you ever sit down? You make/do the most interesting things--I love seeing your projects!

Do you ever sit down? You make/do the most interesting things--I love seeing your projects!

:blush: My wife enjoyed your post, she says I take after my mom. I'm either going full speed or in total relaxation mode, no middle ground. Sometimes I find myself speeding through a project and realize I'm only hurrying to be done before my 3 PM nap time.

I do enjoy retirement and started this thread because there had to be a lot of other busy people willing to share their work, lots of fun to see. Thanks for your nice comment!

I didn't know there were kits for wine-making, and I'll be sure to research that some.

My label would be decidedly more, um, "adventuresome" in tone though. An overall blueish tone implying nighttime image, with a 1930's race car with oversized slicks smokin' out the IRS Revenooers in their rattletrap Model T and a full moon over a three-arch stone bridge comes to mind...:D

You can get some good information on wine making along with kits on winemakersdepot.com, they also sell their kits on Amazon. Early on, we tried some more traditional kits to make reds or white wines and found them okay but decided we could buy better locally on sale. For the last few years, I've only made wines like the one in the post above- Orchard Mist is one brand we've used and as long as we have a few bottles of their Peach Chardonnay on hand, we're always set for presents for family! It goes fast and we always have to check suitcases and cars before family leaves after a visit.

As for the labels, you can do your own but most of the kits we buy come with everything needed to include corks, labels, and even the foil coverings. When we first started making kits, you could personalize your labels at the time of order and they would print them, think this was before the widespread availability of home printers?

Ronstar- yes, this is one time where you can combine a hobby with drinking!

Pam, that quilt is incredible, certainly something you can be proud of making.

Yes - and I'm not thrilled by quilts. When I see a handmade one, I'll give a polite "ohh, that's nice". They usually look like something only a quilter could love (that happens in most hobbies).

But that quilt just jumped out at me! Really a piece of art. I'm impressed.

Lots of inspiring work here, it will take some nerve to post any of my stuff. I've done a bit of woodworking, a few things I'm somewhat satisfied with, but nothing close to what Ronstar has done.

I guess I could post a picture of my home-brew beer, and then tell you it tasted good?

-ERD50

Lots of inspiring work
I guess I could post a picture of my home-brew beer, and then tell you it tasted good?

-ERD50

I'd like to see some of your beer and maybe a pointer to a good recipe? My son gave me a case of beer bottles and some caps but have never used them. I heard that beer can be tough to get right and temperature control was critical. I never really investigated or looked for a recipe beyond a quick search that resulted in an overwhelming number of options.

I'd like to see some of your beer and maybe a pointer to a good recipe? My son gave me a case of beer bottles and some caps but have never used them. I heard that beer can be tough to get right and temperature control was critical. I never really investigated or looked for a recipe beyond a quick search that resulted in an overwhelming number of options.

Temperature control is important, but not necessarily difficult to achieve at all, depending on the style. Lagers require low 50's (F), and often a ramp-up to room temperature to finish, but most ales can be fermented at cool room temperatures (low-mid 60's preferred, but there is some latitude there as well). There is even a new yeast strain that supposedly ferments a 'clean' ale from low 60's to mid 80's.

I won't go into too much detail in this thread, but briefly, my personal suggestion to a new brewer is that if they like stouts or porters, make that your first brew. The flavor comes from that roasted grain, and that will cover up any slight imperfections that might be detected in a lighter, more 'delicate' style.

If you want to know more we could start a new thread, and/or point you to the brewing forums (though like any hobby, those can sometimes be overwhelming for a newbie).

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom