What We're Making

davemartin - you do beautiful work on that machine! I was at Autumn Glory up in Garrett County last weekend and your work is better than anything I saw at the craft festivals there.

Whipped up a couple of map frames - one for a friend. And one for my road trip map. Simple, made from pine from the home improvement store.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 7.48.11 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 7.48.11 PM.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 72
Finished a quilt for a friend that flooded during Harvey.

Attachments

• IMG_5441.JPG
    IMG_5441.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
Quilt is really nice!

Had a good morning in the shop with the CNC this morning. Sign is from a piece of a table that was repurposed to become an island that I did for a friend last week. Thought I might as well put the scrap wood to some use. Small "plates" are my attempt at making a plate you can use for snacks and the cutout is to hold your wineglass while you're standing up and eating. Green one is from Corian counter top material, design doesn't show up as well as I would like so have another one I cut drying in the shop where I filled the inlay with epoxy. Was hoping the Corian would work as they would be dishwasher safe. Countertop material was salvaged from a kitchen remodel. The little sign is for the artist co-op where I volunteer. Thanks to all the share their work!

Last edited:
Here's a box someone asked for at the artist co-op where I volunteer. He bought the WV box I showed earlier and wanted a second one with a historical perspective. The top is a reproduction of a drawing another co-op volunteer did for our towns 250th anniversary celebration. The drawing won a contest and was used on flags and other memorabilia for the celebration.

Last edited:
Here's a box someone asked for at the artist co-op where I volunteer. He bought the WV box I showed earlier and wanted a second one with a historical perspective. The top is a reproduction of a drawing another co-op volunteer did for our towns 250th anniversary celebration. The drawing won a contest and was used on flags and other memorabilia for the celebration.
Awesome figure.

I'm unsubscribing from this thread. Seeing what you all do (especially Dave, since I'm a wannabe woodworker) is like going to a Stevie Ray Vaughan concert. I am amazed and impressed, but it makes me want to go home and smash all my guitars (or table saw, in this case). Seriously, great work.

Very nice, Dave!

i have a question - on the wine caddy. Does the CNC cut all the way through for the outer edges also?

Last edited:
Very nice, Dave!

i have a question - on the wine caddy. Does the CNC cut all the way through for the outer edges also?

Yes, I set the depth of cut to match the material and it usually cuts through without leaving a mark on the underlying spoilboard. As part of the design, you can leave tabs within the cut to keep the waste from separating during the cut if you like. For the last few months or so, I've been using a trick I learned from a CNC forum which uses painters tape and superglue to hold the piece to the spoilboard while cutting and it hasn't failed me yet so haven't even bothered with the tabs. This save some cutting and sanding on the finished part.

Basically, you put tape on the spoilboard and tape on the back of the board you're cutting. Then run a bead of superglue on the spoilboard tape, spray glue accelerator on the tape on the board, then place the board on spoilboard and the two strips of tape/glue are instantly bonded. Once the cuts are completed, the tape strips off without a problem. Works great and so simple without having to use clamps.

Harley, if you're still reading this thread, you're over the top with the compliments but thanks so much. The CNC and computer really go along way to make this easier than it looks. Thanks again.

A 5X7 picture frame I just finished; it will be a Christmas present for my brother. The wood is spalted maple, and came from a tree that grew in the backyard of the house we grew up in.

Attachments

• IMG_7552.jpg
    IMG_7552.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 70
This is a modular kitty condo. It's made of spruce 1x2 and 1/2" MDF and sisal mat. It's 5' tall by 3' wide. No finish, since the cats don't care, and it's sort of a prototype.

It took the cat about 2 minutes to go from "What's this?" to "I'm on top of the world!"

Attachments

• kitty_condo.jpg
    kitty_condo.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 49
A 5X7 picture frame I just finished; it will be a Christmas present for my brother. The wood is spalted maple, and came from a tree that grew in the backyard of the house we grew up in.

Excellent - It adds extra meaning when you can make something from a tree on the old homestead.

Very cool gift, especially considering the story behind it!

The projector and audio stand for the back yard home theater;

38366502462_1839a554d9_o.jpg

Projector on top and power supplies, amplifiers and DTV wireless genie in back;

38366506532_743b97c4cf_o.jpg

Sawed down a cherry tree a few years ago. logs have been sitting on my burn pile. Took one out and made a rescue bowl.

38561133651_e4315c71cb_k.jpg

Beautiful work and projects and thanks for sharing.

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 45
Sawed down a cherry tree a few years ago. logs have been sitting on my burn pile. Took one out and made a rescue bowl.

Can we request an enhancement to the forum to allow smells to be shared?

Awesome, brings back great memories. Cherry was always fun to saw, light, beautiful, and it smells so awesome.

Last edited:
Wow, some neat and creative items. All look great and functional as well.

Made two sets of wine glass/snack holders. Sold a set last week at the art co-op and then got an email from the buyer asking for another set. Made an extra to display for sale this weekend. There are four holders in each set, one each from walnut, cherry, oak, and hickory. All the wood is from lumber from my property or my neighbor. Won't make any more with the same design, will find something a bit more generic if I make any more.

Last edited:

That is beautiful! The grain and the simplicity of the design make this a really timeless and elegant piece.

Made a smaller version of a box today with an inexpensive music movement. It plays "Irish Eyes Are Smiling".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom