What We're Making

Yep - very easy to make. I like the random design as opposed to the checkerboard design. The checkerboard requires more work to get all of the joints to line up where in random it doesn't matter.

How do you flatten the finished product? Wide-belt sander? I assume it's too wide for a planer and probably unsafe to send end-grain through anyway? Or is it already flat when you do the final glue-up?

I never realized how easy end grain cutting boards are to make. Basically if you have a planer and a table saw you're good to go. They're really cool looking too.
I saw a guy post one(Reddit) he'd made out of used pallets! Pallet lumber is typically 3a, 3b common there's little clear wood in the piece. Looked awesome.

There are so many videos on youtube of making cutting boards. Some of them are seriously involved but if you're just going for a random pattern (which is equally as nice) then its smooth sailing...assuming you have the proper tools.

MIL called - said she needed a cutting board for a Christmas gift. I went to the workshop and rounded up some scraps from baseboard trim, drafting table, a cabinet and a gun stock. And got her a cutting board with 4 days to spare.

Beautiful work! Love the turquoise inlay on the cheese boards.

MIL called - said she needed a cutting board for a Christmas gift. I went to the workshop and rounded up some scraps from baseboard trim, drafting table, a cabinet and a gun stock. And got her a cutting board with 4 days to spare.

Nice looking cutting board. I like how all the material isn't the same thickness.

We're hosting a wedding here at home next week, very informal and plan to cook pizza in the oven outside if the weather cooperates. We needed some more space to roll out pizza dough so made a 2'x3' wooden cover to set on/over the burners on our stove in the island. No plans to use the stove so the extra space can be used to assemble pizzas or even as a cutting board. Made from oak that I had milled a few years ago, I have a lot of oak ready for projects. Nothing fancy should be serviceable and can stand in the back of a closet when no longer needed. Here's a picture. This is just after I finished applying a coat of mineral oil.

Last edited:
Made some prototype place cards for DD’s wedding. Once she decides on the design and size I can start making what we will need for the guests. IMG_2006.JPG

Wedding we hosted went fine. Here's a box I made for the newlyweds to store the champagne flutes they used at the wedding. Design on the box is the invitation to the wedding.

Last edited:
I have been making complete wiring harness kits for 1952 and older VW Beetles since 2003. I have a basement production process down, spreadsheets that calculate material requirements (some from the US, some from Germany), I buy new boxes for shipping and the 18 page installation guide I wrote (which includes color pictures from the very first harness I built for my own 1950 VW in 2003) is now its 8th revision. I ship probably slightly more than half of them outside the US. Recent shipments to Norway, Ireland (right hand drive) and Bulgaria. It is a very sporadic, but profitable business that earns me good "play money".

Attachments

• 20180111_145720_sm.jpg
    20180111_145720_sm.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Beautiful work!

I have been making complete wiring harness kits for 1952 and older VW Beetles since 2003. I have a basement production process down, spreadsheets that calculate material requirements (some from the US, some from Germany), I buy new boxes for shipping and the 18 page installation guide I wrote (which includes color pictures from the very first harness I built for my own 1950 VW in 2003) is now its 8th revision. I ship probably slightly more than half of them outside the US. Recent shipments to Norway, Ireland (right hand drive) and Bulgaria. It is a very sporadic, but profitable business that earns me good "play money".

Is there a way on this forum to post pics WITHOUT uploading them first to a photo sharing site and then using the URL:confused: I tried to just copy the pic into the text editor frame and it errored out....

Box for a friend who wanted a US Marine theme. Cedar top and sides, front and back is hickory.

Last edited:
Valentines Day is just around the corner. Making up two or three of these to sell at the Co-op. Needs one more coat of shellac after sanding, on this one, left the inside of the box unfinished to keep the cedar smell but still need to clean up the glue. Will make the others from different wood and with different lettering.

Last edited:
Beautiful!

Ronstar - beautiful craftsmanship!

Don't think I've ever seen a cheese board that long.

The fraternity hazing scene from Animal House popped into mind.

:blush:

Thanks- and yes it would make a good paddle. Ah yes- Animal House- possibly the best movie ever.

Made a heart shaped box from oak,with a music movement. It plays “Let Me Call You Sweetheart”.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom