Join Early Retirement Today

What We're Making
Old 12-16-2015, 04:05 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

What We're Making

There an awfully lot of talented individuals that sometimes post pictures of things they have made, thought it might be nice to have a thread to pull them together. Food, crafts, painting, woodworking, your call, feel free to send along a picture.

I'll start with a couple of Christmas presents I'm making. First is a tree ornament with a lithograph of our sons cat which died this year. He asked me to make this for his girlfriend. First is the litho hanging in a window, second is the ornament hanging on our tree.

Here's a box I made using the CNC router. Emulates chip carving and is made from walnut and box elder. Design looks to be versatile and easy to change the size. I'm looking in to making these to use for a pet urn as I've had a couple of people ask me to make something along these lines.

Looking forward to seeing your photos.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2015, 04:54 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow! Very nice.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:01 PM   #3

I'm trying my hand at amigurumi. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1450310390.015581.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1450310459.723583.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #4

I like those!
Old 12-16-2015, 05:33 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Cute bears.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Here's a box I made using the CNC router. Emulates chip carving and is made from walnut and box elder. Design looks to be versatile and easy to change the size. I'm looking in to making these to use for a pet urn as I've had a couple of people ask me to make something along these lines.
wow. Very cool. I thought I'd done some reasonably impressive trim work with my router table. CNC router is now bookmarked for sometime after I retire!
Old 12-16-2015, 05:37 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I've made miniature furniture for years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2896.JPG (196.5 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2892.JPG (158.2 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2891.JPG (163.5 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2900.jpg (463.0 KB, 166 views)
Old 12-16-2015, 05:40 PM   #8

Would love to understand more about how these miniatures are made. Any photos of work in progress?
Old 12-16-2015, 05:41 PM   #9

Very nice!
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
wow. Very cool. I thought I'd done some reasonably impressive trim work with my router table. CNC router is now bookmarked for sometime after I retire!

Happy to share information about my set up when you're ready. I'm using a Shark Pro HD router now but have a CAMaster Stinger II on order which gives up to a 4' x 4' work space.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:03 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Would love to understand more about how these miniatures are made. Any photos of work in progress?

Sorry, no pics of work in progress. When I first started, I used patterns from miniature making books of which there are quite a few. But I quickly moved beyond that and started making my own patterns on graph paper. Basically, the only thing you really need to understand is that one-twelfth scale is the industry norm for dollhouses. i.e. 1 foot in real life equals 1 inch in miniature. So if a table is 18 inches X 24 inches in real life, it needs to measure 1.5 inches X 2 inches in miniature to look right.

Real Life -> miniature
1 foot = 1 inch
6 inches = .5 inch
3 inches = .25 inch
1.5 inches = 1/8 inch
.75 inch = 1/16 inch
.37 inch = 1/32 inch

I started out using bass wood and staining it. But for quality pieces, it is so much nicer to use walnut or cherry. Mahogany is nice too. I don't plane my own wood rather I purchase it from hobby stores. 3 inches wide by 24 inches long is the norm, and 1/4, 3/32, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 are the thicknesses I like to keep on hand. You can usually different diameter dowels too. But toothpicks and city chicken sticks work too.

I knew a guy who did quality work with just a pocket knife. He even dovetailed his drawers. I don't go to that level of authenticity.

I use a Dremel tool for drilling and have a small table saw with a 3/8 inch arbor(?) for cutting straight pieces. I also have a small Dremel jig saw for curves. Also a 8" lathe, but rarely use it.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:19 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Wow - great stuff here!
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:38 PM   #13

You guys are impressive!
I made footprints in the snow today.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:58 PM   #14

All of these projects are amazing! Thanks for posting the pictures. They inspire me to return to my ho-hum little sewing projects............nothing really worth photographing. Just a few practical Christmas and baby gifts.

I would never have the patience or stamina to take on the projects shared here. Kudos to you all!!

Old 12-16-2015, 07:04 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

LauAnn Those miniatures are amazing! I am much more of rough carpenter than a finish carpenter although I'd love to be able to do something like that.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:10 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Beautiful work from all of you.

Ha
Old 12-16-2015, 08:32 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backpacker View Post
LauAnn Those miniatures are amazing! I am much more of rough carpenter than a finish carpenter although I'd love to be able to do something like that.
Thanks. Believe it or not, it was a hobby I started when I was 21 years old. I had just started working full-time and was looking for something to do on my lunch hour to kill time so I went to the library down the block. There was a book laying out and it caught my eye. It was a book on how to make miniature furniture. I fell in love instantly. Went home and raided all the junk drawers and before the night was out made a croquet set out of toothpicks (for the mallet handles), an arrow (for the mallets), and a string of beads (for the balls). My mother was immediately hooked too. It was a hobby we enjoyed together for many years.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:37 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post
All of these projects are amazing! Thanks for posting the pictures. They inspire me to return to my ho-hum little sewing projects............nothing really worth photographing. Just a few practical Christmas and baby gifts.

I would never have the patience or stamina to take on the projects shared here. Kudos to you all!!

I just got a sewing machine and a lap frame weaving loom two weeks ago because I wanted to get into the fiber arts. In the past week I made my first wall hanging and crazy quilt block. I'm stocking up on yarn and material!
Old 12-16-2015, 10:26 PM   #19

Wow ! Such talent here. Great thread idea
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:37 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
You guys are impressive!
I made footprints in the snow today.
Not as impressive, but I made footprints with my new asics trail runner shoes in a socal pavement yesterday. :9
kneehigh is offline   Reply With Quote