Join Early Retirement Today
Old 06-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #21
Confused about dryer sheets
1. I wish I used a broad index fund from the beginning. I lost a bunch in 2008 from being too concentrated in financials.

2. I purchased a house much larger than what we needed. I went on a charity type trip to Guatemala and saw how happy they were with so little. When I got back I immediately sold the mcmansion. Now I am happier than ever in a house that is 1/3 the size of my previous mcmansion.

3. Wish my wife was able to stay at home with the children when they were younger. You cant ever get those years back.

deepsouth41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado
Not a specific answer, but I found this book very interesting and directly related to your request.
30 Lessons for Living: Tried and True Advice from the Wisest Americans: Karl Pillemer Ph.D.: 9780452298484: Books

Pharmmgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:40 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
No ragrets. Not even one letter.
"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do" --Bob Dylan.
heeyy_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:01 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
1) Kept too much money in company stock acquired through stock options. I should have exercised options quicker, sold the stock immediately, and been more diversified.
2) Built a large new home near the peak of my career. While paid for, we don't need the space and upkeep in retirement. Downsizing and selling takes time away from enjoying retirement travel. Keeping our smaller, paid for, home would have prevented us from acquiring more "stuff" to fill the bigger house which we don't need today.
Retired at 57. Now a happy camper!
NC 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:23 AM   #25
Spent too much money on my first husband's "wants" to try and pacify him. It didn't work. I cringe when I think about how much I wasted on that. Example: when we met, he had a loaded Camaro on order and didn't have a dime to pay for it other than the $2K he was getting on his old car. I took out a $10K loan (this was 1982) to buy it for him.

I should also have been much more demanding when I left my last employer. When I look back at it, I had to fire myself because the boss lacked the guts to do it and I should have made myself a better deal. I asked to be "on the payroll" from 5/9 (last day) to 7/1 and they pretty much terminated me as of 5/9 but paid till 7/1 but that meant less accrued vacation, no 401(k) match, and COBRA instead of company health insurance. They gave me money to fund 1.5 months of COBRA but it was a mad scramble and we're still taking care of little pieces of paperwork to get me on a private plan and DH on his Medicare supplement. And yes, I know that the $$ to fund COBRA were taxed, but we'll have enough out-of-pocket medical and dental expenses this year to go over the 7.5% threshold which applies since DH is 75.

But, what's done is done. I'm free.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:15 AM   #26
I would consider working for a company with generous pension plan.

("... join the union and pay my dues" )

Pura Vida
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote