Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I would cut the guy some slack. Maybe he is hard up or unabashedly cheap. Both conditions deserve some pity. I know I have paid more than my share on numerous occasions to keep the peace.

We get together every year since 1968 and I know I pay more than my share. But I am philosophical about it. Keeping in touch with the gang comes at a price. Not as ridiculous as your example, but somewhat inflated.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe there was more than "about a pound of sausage"? That's all I can think of that would drive the cost up. I know Aldi's well and $30 would have covered the stuff for lunch too.

Geez, not even any bacon.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:44 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

If you do forgive and decide to invite him back, I would next time request receipts from all to divvy up the expenses. I have been on golf trips where this has been done. But I doubt I would invite him back.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

For $30, I want lobster for breakfast.

When I take friends out on my boat, I never ask for gas money. I do however ask them to bring beverages for themselves and food for me. More than fair! I've never had a refusal.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I always insist in chipping in for gas on my friends' boats. And I never expect to get food or drink for nothing. Usually take my own and something for him.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Eggs $2
Milk $2
Butter $1
Sausage $4
Never going camping with this cheap bastard again..... priceless!
Old 06-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Eggs $2
Milk $2
Butter $1
Sausage $4
Never going camping with this cheap bastard again..... priceless!
I don't think this guy was a cheap bastard. I think he was a lying bastard. Big difference.

Us cheap bastards don't like to be associated with the lying bastards.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I always insist in chipping in for gas on my friends' boats. And I never expect to get food or drink for nothing. Usually take my own and something for him.
I can't find it now, but I once read a quote from Andrew Carnegie or one of the other robber barons that said it's much cheaper to buy nice gifts for a friend who owns a boat than it is to own one yourself, or something to that effect. I've tried to live according to that idea.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I was on a business trip to London in 2000 at the peak of the economic bubble. megacorp put me in a hotel which was in a very good location which I did not even think was that good shape (it was pretty run down) but the daily rate was $1200. And when I went to get breakfast which was just juice, break and an omelette and that came out to over $100. I was just shocked and awed. Thanks goodness that megacorp was paying. But I experienced a $100 breakfast. I since went to London three times every year and cost was never this high again.

Looking to retire or semi-retire by 45 based on our net worth going to $6 million outside our house.
kmt1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #50
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
Apparently you should have eaten more of the food to get your money's worth.
This was my exact thought!

I go fishing each year with same group friends, been doing for like 20 years. Use to assign days or meals to folks, now we meet at our location and go food shopping. Bill is split four ways. Same thing at the beer shop. Just easier. We never have anything left over
Old 06-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmt1972 View Post
Well, I was on a business trip to London in 2000 at the peak of the economic bubble. megacorp put me in a hotel which was in a very good location which I did not even think was that good shape (it was pretty run down) but the daily rate was $1200. And when I went to get breakfast which was just juice, break and an omelette and that came out to over $100. I was just shocked and awed. Thanks goodness that megacorp was paying. But I experienced a $100 breakfast. I since went to London three times every year and cost was never this high again.
Kind of off topic, but yeah, Silicon Valley was headed in a similar direction. 13 years later, Silicon Valley hotels are still cheaper than back then.

---

I love the quote about the Andrew Carnegie boat visit! My rich BIL's brother does this. He always brings "expensive" stuff to his brother when they go out on the town. Shamefully, I should take this as an example and bring my BIL something nice (expensive wine) for my next trip to my sister's place. I'm starting to wonder if he sees me like the cheap $30 bastard from the OP's first post.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #52

To reduce the math and book keeping, I built a spreadsheet where all the expenses of the camping trip were entered with the result being who owed who what amounts. Otherwise, I figured, we'd need to switch-off who paid each thing (boat "camping", so we visited a lot of establishments beyond just stocking-up at the start). Technically, the spreadsheet worked great, but the campers were, as opposed to the guy from the OP, too generous....they all wanted to not put their expenditures on the sheet in order to make them "gifts" to the others in attendance!
Old 06-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Without question, Braun. I have no filter and I have several cheap bastards that are great friends but I hold them accountable. When we go as a group, I got one friend, that always conveniently trying to buy one of the late rounds them mysteriously has to go home right before his next turn. So now I always yell out that the cheap bastard buys the first round, so we all don't get screwed. Everyone has a laugh and nothing he can say because he knows its true. If that had happened to me, I would've said something to the effect of do you think we are stupid, cheapass? I will pay you back double if you can prove it cost $30.
I like your approach very, VERY much. Cut through the BS in a flash!
Old 06-10-2013, 12:39 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Be glad you got the deal on this guy for chump change and move on.........without him.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

We need more context. This makes perfect sense if you all arrived at camp & then asked him to get breakfast stuff back in civilization 60 miles away. 120 Miles round trip in his big block, 4X4 @ 12 miles per gallon was $40 or so. He sounds pretty generous.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #56

I had the opposite problem 2 weeks ago when I hosted 6 college friends at the lake. I asked everyone to bring snacks and BYOB ... one showed up with at least $150 in groceries and another brought $30 in breakfast food. No one would take any money from the group and they would not bring the leftovers home. 2 $20 sliced fruit bowls were left unopened. Ice cream me and the kids would never touch (coconut ).

Quote:

I would've said something to the effect of do you think we are stupid, cheapass?
So we're at the golf course and I go inside to check in and pay my greens fees. One of the guys blurts out "tryan, did you cover our greens fees" ... I blurt back "What? I have to house you, feed you AND PAY FOR YOUR GOLF?!?!" Everyone within shouting distance laughs ... He goes into the clubhouse with his tail between his legs ... comes back and offers me cash for my green fees.

Yeah, they'll all be back next year.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #57

Not saying the guy didn't rip you off but I pay $7.00 for breakfast and that does not include tip. Egg's, pancakes and sausage would probably be 8 bucks + tip. However, the above includes coffee. Who did the cooking?
Old 06-20-2013, 09:08 PM   #58
Full time employment: Posting here.

We all did the cooking. The guy who cooked 2 dinners (beef steaks, pork ribs, potatoes, beans, veggies, etc) only charged $52. That WAS fair. So it was only $26 per meal and we must have eaten 3 pounds of meat at each dinner.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would not invite this guy again...and I don't like people like that at all.